shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond tester on gemstone

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am wondering if diamond tester works on gemstone. I bought few spinels on gem auction from Thai seller. I wonder will diamond tester tell me if it is glass or synthetic. I want to know if it is natural stone. Spinel or not doesn't matter thanks

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
hi Helphelp911,
I dont think so, that you diamond tester will help you here. It wont distinguish between natural and synthetic spinel for sure, i dont think also it will show you a difference between spinel and glass, but this is depending on the tester. Some diamond tester can give a clue on how many lights shine what the stone could be (guess), but its not really reliable. Normally the diamond tester just says if its a diamond or not. Depening on your tester, there are some more functions possilbe.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, good quality gem testers like the Presidum read the thermal distribution of gemstones and can help differentiate between some groups. It can tell you if it is glass or quartz for eg but not if it is natural spinel or man made Spinel.
However, the big problem is that man made Spinel, man made ruby and man made sapphire are exactly the same chemical composition as the natural type. So no “gem tester” can tell you if it’s manmade or natural from the earth.
The top quality man made gems they even make with natural looking inclusions and it might take a trained gemmologist with all his equipment to determine not only if natural but what type and level of treatments the gem has undergone because these too drastically affect the value / price.
Only buy from reputable vendors and preferably with an reputable lab report ie GIA, Swiss Lab, AGL because not only are there “fake” gems out there, there are now “fake” lab reports as well.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The best way to verify if it’s natural or not is to buy a loupe and examine the stone through the loupe. Spinels are included stones so you should definitely see inclusions. If the stone is totally clean, then it’s probably synthetic.

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips!

At least for the price i am paying. I am ok with man-made stone i guess they are closer to the real stone. I just worry i will get some glass or plastic stone which fill with nasty chemical.

Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results