shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Switching

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Is there any truth to this statement. Channel set anniversary rings (with multiple diamonds) would be very hard to switch diamonds because they would have to wreck the setting to take out the diamonds and it would be too hard to put back together the setting. The reason I am asking is, I am always worrying about letting my ring out of sight when I need repairs or even cleaning. Maybe I don''t need to worry?

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
My guess to this is that most crooks will only switch larger diamonds that they could re-sell for a high mark up on their own. A diamond channel set band will have small diamonds that they would not likely sell for profit.

Most jewelers (in my experience) when you try to trade up a diamond ring with sidestones will tell you flat out that the sidestones have no resale value for them, all they care about is the CENTER larger stone.

I wouldn't worry about having your rings cleaned.. you normally just stand there and watch while they do it - they wouldn't have time to switch stones out of it. And as for repairs - just make sure you go to a reputable jeweler you know and trust, or someone YOU know trusts them - and you should be safe.

But for solitaire diamond rings - just be cautious - because THAT is where untrustworthy jewelers could do some damage.

rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results