shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond swap question - time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmatthew59

Rough_Rock
Just curious as to the time it would take an experienced jeweler to swap diamonds out of a ring. How long would it realistically take? Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2005 3:51:22 PM
Author:dmatthew59
Just curious as to the time it would take an experienced jeweler to swap diamonds out of a ring.

Isn't that the definition of a "New York minute"? heh heh heh...

The 15 to 20 minute quotes hold true for a jeweler covering his tracks by polishing out the tool marks, etc.

There was a jeweler here in Sarasota doing it within minutes though while supposedly taking the jewelry back to "clean it". I examined one of the rings and it showed obvious tool marks and the replacement cz not matching up with the girdle notches, etc. Obviously a quick job under pressure.

He went to jail, lost his store, and is now selling used cars here in town.

As the guys point out, it's insanity for any reputable jeweler to do such a thing. It's just the insane guys you've got to watch out for (drug addicts, individuals under extreme financial stress, newly hired non-discovered sociopaths, etc.).

dmatthew59

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the info as it''s beem very helpful. I''m just covering my tracks on this as I''ve been saddled with the burden of getting it appraised and dealing with the diamond swapping paranoia of my family.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2005 11:47
6.gif
2 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
So he has a real job now Rich?

Yeah, I hear he''s actually doing quite well now.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the same thing. Everyone''s paranoid about diamond swapping. However, most jewelers understand this fear and many will let you watch them as they set your stone. If you actually watch them set your stone and are familiar with your particular stone, you''ll understand the process makes it pretty hard to switch the stone if the customer is paying attention, even if they didn''t watch teh actual setting themselves.

Basically, the key is to find an identifying mark on your stone. Then, you just check to see if it''s there after you get it set. See the mark, and you know it''s the same. That way, you can send it off somewhere to get set and it wouldn''t matter.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2005 11:50:49 AM
Author: codex57

Basically, the key is to find an identifying mark on your stone. Then, you just check to see if it''s there after you get it set. See the mark, and you know it''s the same. That way, you can send it off somewhere to get set and it wouldn''t matter.

This is a great idea! I have a marquis center stone on my wedding set. I always know it''s mine after it''s been cleaned because it has a very distinctive, but small "bow tie" in the center of the stone. After any time a jeweler has had possession of my ring without my full visual awareness on the ring, I first look for that "bow tie" on my stone. That''s how I know it''s my ring!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''m not interested in expanding any paranoia, here...just extending out logical connectors...

So, Codex, it seems to me that, although what you say is true (finding the mark), I think two elements are missing for that truth to be functional, or helpful.

a) credibility: let''s say you know that mark, and you know it''s been replaced. What can you say with credibility, after you flag down your local security guard....officer, this stone has been switched. Look with this loupe at my stone, and see where there used to be a bird sort of looking inclusion...it''s not there! Jeweler....bird?

b) process: again, let''s say you determine the diamond''s been switched. Perhaps you will have intended this, of course, but even if you begin your communication with your vendor by establishing a distinguishing inclusion, the description of such can be so ephemeral that, even after reaching a verbal agreement, if -- when you get your ring back -- saying your inclusion isn''t there could be met with...of course it is, don''t you see it, and the lack of specificity in this way with the identifying characteristic could lead you to little recourse, in the case that you have a genuinely intentionally guilty party you''re working with.

So...what am I saying? Certainly, knowing the characteristics of your stone will allow you to begin the process of replacement with your insurer, should you get swapped. But, this knowledge -- it seems to me -- allows for no practical benefit if you''re seeking a process by which you work with a jeweler to get agreement that the diamond you''re handing over is still yours at the end of the day.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It''s best of course if you have that identifying characteristic plotted on a diagram by a third party gemologist.

When you drop off the ring, you could include a copy of the diagram, and get the jeweler''s agreement on an identifying inclusion, and that the diagram does indeed represent the stone.

Then if you got back something different, you would have written documentation in the form of the diagram and the jewelers receipt that the diagram represented the diamond they took in.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Generally, I think you want to make it easy to be safe.

Rich has addressed the implementation issues my post raises, and I did just go look at my appraisal document, and could see how this could be used to get agreement with the jeweler I would go to. Although not sure how "easy" this is...for example, you might not have such a document while you and your honey were strolling at the mall, were otherwise doing some shopping, and really hadn''t planned to have your ring cleaned, but you stop at the local jeweler there, anyway, they offer to check your prongs, and do a cleaning, and why not....well...that''s the idea of the question being raised here, I suppose.

Generally, I think you work with what you got. Although there may be no reason to believe the jeweler you buy your ring from is any less suspect than some other jeweler, maybe it seems just incestuous enough that you believe your jeweler of origin would not do a ring swap....so you could just go there. Otherwise, if you want to be footloose and fancy free with your ring, good to think of strategies to make it easy. Raising the two scenarios I do above, Cranky, though your point is true, and I didn''t even raise the inscription idea (and per my previous post, and your observation of its removability here, it is no salvation), it is something that may be simply additionally available as a reference, and useful as an easy thing to agree on with simplicity with your jeweler...making the communication about the details of your diamond that much more at ease.

Back in the day, Lazare made this a special feature of their sales of their proprietary cut (the addition of the inscription on the girdle)...and the idea worked then for me as a selling point. Still, while I did not seek it with the diamond I bought, it did come along as an "extra," and I''m glad it''s there for the reasons reviewed here. Based on today''s technologies, and the modest cost basis for adding an inscription when one is not there already, I think I''d at least consider adding it...though otherwise...the idea of carrying in ones pocket or purse a folded up copy of the plotted diagram could also work, as well...and of course, may contribute to easing the communication with the jeweler about the seriousness of intent you have as you do leave your diamond with them, and so for this reason alone, it may indeed have its advantages, too.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How sad that there could be people that would steal another diamonds under the guise of a professional?
38.gif

How much sadder that it has become a real concern for our customers (who so many of in this industry love dearly)
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results