shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karenlaz

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am interested in purchasing diamond studs for my daughter. I have been offered 2 sets of studs as follows: 1st is H vs2 .50 Premium
SI1 .50 Ideal. These would be sold as a pair. and the price is $1,600. The other pair is I VVS2 .51 62% Table 5.08-5.24x3.20mm and the 2nd stone is HVS1 .46ct 59% Total 4.94-4.98x 3.0%mm for $2,000. Do either sound like a good value and if so which would be the best? I have two daughters, if these are both good buys I will buy both. Please let me know.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pricing sounds fine from what I have seen on earrings. I checked out BlueNile and their 1c diamond studs are $2900 for H, VS2 quality. Diamond.Com's H/I, VS 1ctw studs are $2887. Yours looks much better.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that when we got my earrings appraised, the appraiser mentioned that they were very high quality for diamond earrings..apparently the norm is to buy something along the lines of I color with I1 clarity. Mine are VS2. So a VVS1 diamond for an earring seems a little odd to get such a high clarity in an earring. Earrings are not like rings, they aren't worn on the hand for all to see. So your clarity does not need to be superb. I would think SI1 would be fine. Even a diamond pendant would get more close-up eyeballs than earrings on your head. I would suggest getting H, SI1's or similar, and if you can, try to get more of a matched pair. Our appraiser told us that its not uncommon for one earring to be an H and the other an I, but I would definitely stay within 1 color grade such as G/H or H/I, etc.

I also ran a quick search on Google and found that boutiquediamonds.com has 1ctw H/I color, I clarity studs in WG for $1500. Also 4diamondearrings.com has G/H, SI1 clarity 1tcw for $2100. Pretty good price! Or you can always run your own loose diamond search on Pricescope, find 2 that match well and have them set!

But anyhow, my two cents, and the comments from the appraiser. Good luck!

karenlaz

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your interest and information. I really appreciate the help. Everything you said about studs not needing to be as fine of quality as the ring or pendant I also heard years ago from a very well known diamond appraiser in Chicago named Harold Vogle. In fact he touted cz's for everything except a ring. Evidently, the cut,ie, ideal, premium etc. is important and one of the stones is ideal and the other premium. Will check out all the sites you suggested for more info. Again, thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results