shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs. What size would you go for or have?

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Hi :)

I am looking for diamond studs to wear every day but also for special occasions. What size would you go for or have?

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, a lot depends on the size of your ear lobes and social circle, and of course budget. I would think with earlobes that are either not super small, or super large, anything in the 1.5 to 2 ct total weight would be a good size for everyday but also a bit dressier times. If that isn't in budget, you could get something smaller, like 1 ct total and add enhancers later for dressier times. Enhancers can also be added to larger stones if you want something flashier for dressy occasions.

I have a few pairs of studs. The largest is a total of 1.9 tcw in white metal, and the smallest are about .9 tcw set in white metal bezels.

Last edited:
I’ll echo @Lookinagain, the most important thing with studs imo is the size of your earlobe. I have huge lobes and 2ct total ctw (1ct each ear) basically disappears on me. My current studs are 3ctw in a halo and without the halo they would look small on me. I find the minimum size that suits my earlobe without a halo to be 4ctw total weight and I’m in the process of making that happen.. but it will take a few months. Though that’s off-topic for this thread.

I would go in and try lots of different sizes. Also, if you’re not fussed about them being perfectly centred, try different shapes (elongated, like ECs or ovals) as well for better coverage.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the size of your earlobes and other factors IMHO.

My earlobes are huge and can wear 20mm easily.

However, I don't like earrings that sit too high as they will stick out and make my chubby face even wider.

I have a pair of near 1cttw studs given to me by my mum when I was in my early teens, bezel set 6mm in diameter.

They were fine when I was young. However as I grew older and put on weight, my earlobes grew in size too as did my face. They are now too small to be worn on their own. So I added a pair of 1cttw earring jackets to wear with them nowadays.

I have a bigger pair of earring jackets for 8mm pearls and have a pair of bezel-set CZ that is 8mm in overall diameter that I can wear with the jackets.

I would like to get a pair of 2cttw LGD studs to wear on their own or with the larger jackets one day.

My advice would be to get a pair of studs as large as you would like to wear and afford, and a pair of earring jackets at the same time or later for added sparkles for dressier events.

I shall try and post some photos later when I am using my laptop.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really want to wear a pair of diamond earrings, or even single earring, though the thought bubbles up from time to time.

A single devastatingly explosive 1.5 ct Octavia on a finger is my perfect Goldilocks bling. :kiss2:
Once again, huge kudos to @Karl_K and @diagem for their brilliant work.
I'm so lucky!

But if I did acquire a new earring I'd probably get a single 0.99 ct F VS2 ACA in a 3-prong platinum martini.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
I think you should consider:
- earlobe size;
- do you usually wear a necklace?
(I use to stack necklaces so my 0.86 tcw studs are big enough; without necklaces, I prefer bigger earrings)
- do you wear eyeglasses?
(when I had frames with rhinestones, I often wore ten pointers studs)
- do you have short or long hair?
(when I had long hair, I "needed" bigger earrings).
I think I could easily wear 2 ctw studs; I tried 4 ctw but they looked too much on me...but I can always change my mind ...:lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos of my earth-mined diamond stud earring with its jacket (I don't have any pics of the stud on its own).

With earring jacket:

studwithjacket-jpg.548571

In the larger earring jackets for 8mm pearls, the gap is too big hence I don't wear it like this:

earshotjacketwithdiamondstudsmall-jpg.544647

DK :))

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 1 ctw pair of MRB studs and a 4.02 ctw OEC studs. I really want a 2.5 ctw pair to round out the lot.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Also, for some people because of ear shape or style or hair or whatever, studs aren't as flattering as huggies or drops. There have been a few threads on this topic over the years I've been lurking, with some people saying they never wear their studs and some saying they never wear their huggies or drops. I have small, thin, attached earlobes (I can fit a 6mm inner diameter hoop) so a standard stud that isn't a 'baby bezel' sticks out in a way that I don't personally like. My piercings are even with each other but my ears are not even on my face, which also contributes to my not liking single diamond studs.

So instead for diamonds I have these floral studs, which are 8.8mm in diameter and reach to the bottom of my earlobe from a head-on view. They sit very flat and obviously have a lot of presence for the price:
x1CFyCQ.jpg

And I recently got these 1.28ctw drops on 10mm outer diameter hoops from a PSer which I basically haven't taken off since getting them. I like these much better than I ever liked any studs on me. You can maybe see from the photo how they would sit as studs, which to me would feel too low just because of how my ear is shaped:
img_20231012_130039-jpg.948872

Maybe it's worth going into a store or trying some CZ options to see what you like on you -- you might be surprised!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have smallish earlobes, and a pair of 1.66 tcw diamond studs. For me, they are a perfect size - not too big for every day wear, and enough presence and sparkle for special occasions.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
For years I wore .42c in each ear. I had earring jackets that I’d add when I wanted to dress them up. Now I have 1 carat each and I wear them all the time…casual or dressy. I think my earlobes are on the smaller side.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
As others have said, totally depends on your earlobes and your preferred aesthetic. Do you want to see a bit of lobe around the stud? That will determine your max size. Are you ok with the stud going below the lobe? Sky’s the limit.

I have small earlobes. Which is weird b/c nothing else on me is small but anyway. For me, that meant 2.22 ctw was the right spot in prongs, and 2 ctw in bezels.

2.22 ctw in prongs:
IMG_2275.png

2 ctw in bezels:
IMG_1646.png

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, if you go try on studs for size, invest in a pair of calipers and take them with you. Weight matters very little compared to diameter. I did this when trying to determine size for my ER stone and it was invaluable.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SUPER lazy when it comes to taking out earrings. I need to wear things I can comfortably sleep in. My favorite earrings I've ever had I have currently, I think they're maybe .35cttw with gold braiding around them. Probably 8mm with the braiding but also pretty flat. When I want to dress them up I have several dangly "jackets" that I can add to them.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to join the chorus in saying a lot depends on earlobe size and the placement of your piercings. I think it’s worthwhile to buy a sampling of sizes in CZs to get a sense of what works for you. My favorite pair is 6 mm. They’re comfortable and easily go from day to night.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have medium-sized earlobes. My current studs are slightly under 2 ct each ear (3.8-ish ctw).

I love them! They are super blingy disco balls of light because I went with super-idea diamonds (in my opinion, totally worth it!)

However, because I'm a studs-go-with-everything girl, I wish I had three different size studs: the ones that I currently have, a smaller pair and a larger pair! (I sometimes dream about a 5 ctw pair, or 2.5 ct each ear!)

1 IMG_0828 studs.jpg

2 IMG_0830 studs and hat.jpg

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I echo the advice to try on some CZ studs in various sizes (and realize that they are often set in a way that makes them come out from your ear a lot - there are other setting options that would snug the diamond to your ear more) to see what you like. I've been wearing .66 ctw for years now and completely adore them for being a definite presence but understated. While I do want to upgrade at some point (mainly color), I think .5 stones in each ear might be a tad too big for my wear-all-the-time-including-teaching-and-camping lifestyle, and I also don't want to overshadow my .5 quadex pendant which won't be changing.

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses and pictures. I really appreciate all the advice as well.

I think I will definitely get some CZ studs to try out in various sizes.

I also can't decide on a four claw basket setting or a four claw martini setting. What do you all have?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can't decide on a four claw basket setting or a four claw martini setting. What do you all have?

Well, I set my smaller studs in bezels and my larger ones in the 8 prong martinis so I can't really help with the options you are considering. I did have one of the larger pair set in 3 prong martinis, but one of my piercings is slightly tilted downward and the earring didn't quite sit right. I think some people feel that baskets sit better against the ear. You should try both styles when you check out the CZs and figure out which setting sits the best on your ears.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I love my 8 prong martinis - the prongs are curved so they happen to fit into the little cup shape I have on both earlobes, but I like that they aren't straight regardless. Also there are enough of them that there's no worry about them stretching out my piercing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results