shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs: Round vs Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BlingBaby

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies! I would love some help/advice.

I have a 1ct princess cut stone from an engagement ring that will never be worn again, at least as an engagement ring. (Sigh.) I''d like to turn the stone into a pair of earrings and I''m finally in a position to buy a matching stone. (Wooohooo!)
36.gif
I thought it would be a nice idea because a) I would get some use out of the original stone, and b) with a pair of diamond studs, I''d never know which is which!

To be honest, I''m not as wild about the princess cut as I used to be. When my ex-fiancee and I were picking out stones almost 5 years ago, it was all I wanted. Now, I''m wondering if a round stone wouldn''t be better, more classic, etc. I''d like something I can wear for the next 60 years and then pass along to a daughter or granddaughter. Also, I''ve heard that round stones generally "show" bigger than princess cut. I know it''s hard to make generalizations and that every diamond is different, but does anyone have a side by side comparison of a 1ct round and a 1ct princess?

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? Please help! I am truly torn.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on backing, I''d love some advice on that too. Does 1ct in each ear merit a screw back? Will they sag and is there a way to prevent that? Is there another type of backing that I should consider?

Truly a newbie here! Thank you all in advance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2010 11:49:21 AM
Author:BlingBaby
Hi ladies! I would love some help/advice.

I have a 1ct princess cut stone from an engagement ring that will never be worn again, at least as an engagement ring. (Sigh.) I''d like to turn the stone into a pair of earrings and I''m finally in a position to buy a matching stone. (Wooohooo!)
36.gif
I thought it would be a nice idea because a) I would get some use out of the original stone, and b) with a pair of diamond studs, I''d never know which is which!

To be honest, I''m not as wild about the princess cut as I used to be. When my ex-fiancee and I were picking out stones almost 5 years ago, it was all I wanted. Now, I''m wondering if a round stone wouldn''t be better, more classic, etc. I''d like something I can wear for the next 60 years and then pass along to a daughter or granddaughter. Also, I''ve heard that round stones generally ''show'' bigger than princess cut. I know it''s hard to make generalizations and that every diamond is different, but does anyone have a side by side comparison of a 1ct round and a 1ct princess?

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? Please help! I am truly torn.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on backing, I''d love some advice on that too. Does 1ct in each ear merit a screw back? Will they sag and is there a way to prevent that? Is there another type of backing that I should consider?

Truly a newbie here! Thank you all in advance!
Hi BlingBaby and welcome!

Just to clarify, if you go for a round diamond then you would need to find two as matching studs, if you go for Princess then it would be a case of matching the existing one?

I could try to find you some comparison pictures of a round and Princess but there can be variance in the face up sizes so it wouldn''t be as accurate a comparison as you might hope.

I would suggest screwbacks whatever you choose for security, as for settings there are many different types available , I am not well up on which ones are prone to sagging but some of the others might have some good tips for you.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re not as wild about princess cuts, then go for the RB. You''re spending a lot of money and you want to be sure to be 100% happy with them for the next 60 years!

Also, just a thought - are you sure you want to wear a stone from an ex or is that no biggie to you? Are there any negative feelings?

BlingBaby

Rough_Rock
@Lorelei: Yes, you are correct. Sorry I was unclear!

@MC: My theory was that turning the ring into a pair of earrings would mean that I''d never know which was the "old" stone and which was the "new" stone. I harbor no hard feelings against the ex, or the bling he left behind. :)

@Taylorbug!: Thanks!

kristinmcd

Rough_Rock
I am in my mid 40''s (yipes!) and LOVE my princess cut earrings still. I think they are stunning and slightly more unusual than the typical round. That being said, YOU are wearing them so be happy!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I prefer rounds personally, but princess can be lovely.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 12:18:28 PM
Author: BlingBaby
@MC: My theory was that turning the ring into a pair of earrings would mean that I''d never know which was the ''old'' stone and which was the ''new'' stone. I harbor no hard feelings against the ex, or the bling he left behind. :)
hahaha Good thinking!
1.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I have round studs, and I much prefer the look of round - but there are many beautiful princess studs on PS - come back and let us know what you decide after you check out the "show me your studs" thread :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2010 12:18:28 PM
Author: BlingBaby
@Lorelei: Yes, you are correct. Sorry I was unclear!

@MC: My theory was that turning the ring into a pair of earrings would mean that I''d never know which was the ''old'' stone and which was the ''new'' stone. I harbor no hard feelings against the ex, or the bling he left behind. :)

@Taylorbug!: Thanks!
No problem, I just wanted to make sure in order to best help you! So we have the dilemma of finding a new Princess to go with the old or going with rounds. What you could do if you wanted to start afresh is to buy some studs from a vendor that offers upgrade policies if 1 ct per ear is your goal, then you could trade up if you wish.

If you like, give us an idea of your budget for rounds as an example and we can see what we can find as suggestions? If you decide to go with a Princess then it we can look to try to find you a match but we would need as much info as possible on the existing stone, does it have a GIA grading report? Alternatively, depending on where you are located, if you are near one of the vendors you could take the stone in and let them match it for you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both PC and RB studs and like them both but I would say the rounds do sparkle a bit more overall. If I had to get only one pair I would go for RB. Have fun shopping.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I thought about princess studs as well but went with rounds. I would go crazy if they were unaligned on my ears iykwim, the corners off and not straight.

I do have a princess cut pendant, which I have on a diamond shape bezel, so set not square but diamond shape, I love it, and is a nice change from my round pendant. Perhahps another idea for your spare diamond.

good luck and have fun deciding what to do.
db

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results