shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs or Drop style 5-6 tcw

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Hello
I’m pursuing the possibility of lab diamond earrings but have some questions.

I tried a few pairs of 4 and 6 tcw studs and they didn’t sit nicely on my ear lobe even with the large backings.

For this reason I’m thinking of a drop style that sits very close to the ear. If they are made with a bezel will they look like costume jewelry?

What diamond parameters for cut are generally used when selecting the stones? Do they need to be ideal cut?

Any suggestions for the most stylish way to design these are welcome.

Thanks
Mrs T

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I love dormeuse style which is also a drop style. I don't think a bezel would look costume at all.

Earring parameters are a little different, depending on what you're going for. You still want optical symmetry. But you can drop in clarity since no one looks at your ears up close. Also, Garry Holloway has been championing shallower crown angles since the light doesn't enter from above but from the side.

When you finally get these, please post photos!

Mems20

Rough_Rock
I want a pair of studs, but every pair I've tried in person has underwhelmed me. I'm more of a hoop person, but I have been thinking about a pair of drop earrings with labs bc it seems like a mix of the two. Here are 2 styles I've saved from Instagram. I think this first link is closer to what you have described, but the second pair is another I keep thinking about (probably too much for my everyday life).

lucythedog

Rough_Rock
Hello
I’m pursuing the possibility of lab diamond earrings but have some questions.

I tried a few pairs of 4 and 6 tcw studs and they didn’t sit nicely on my ear lobe even with the large backings.

For this reason I’m thinking of a drop style that sits very close to the ear. If they are made with a bezel will they look like costume jewelry?

What diamond parameters for cut are generally used when selecting the stones? Do they need to be ideal cut?

Any suggestions for the most stylish way to design these are welcome.

Thanks
Mrs T

I had this same problem with studs but with smaller stones. Bezel settings did the trick for me, and I’m able to wear them every day.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
I want a pair of studs, but every pair I've tried in person has underwhelmed me. I'm more of a hoop person, but I have been thinking about a pair of drop earrings with labs bc it seems like a mix of the two. Here are 2 styles I've saved from Instagram. I think this first link is closer to what you have described, but the second pair is another I keep thinking about (probably too much for my everyday life).

I really like the two styles you posted. My original thought was the second style with the small stone on top until a jeweler planted the thought in my head that it looked like a snowman! I’ve been looking for a real life example ever since to see if that is really a correct impression but haven’t found anything close.

The bezel style could be amazing. I actually like the slightly thicker part that goes in the ear. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if a 60/60 cut works nicely for earrings?

0515vision: Shallow crown angles like 33.0 or 33.5?

I’m also thinking of using OEC cut. Which vendor source besides DG can I use to source two OEC cuts?

Mrs T

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I will get you proportions in a little bit. But maybe your jeweler doesn’t know about dormeuse earrings?

IMG_8639.jpeg IMG_8640.jpeg IMG_8637.jpeg

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s what @Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:
“Dirty Diamond Experiment

I did a shallow diamond earring test to prove the point for Peter Yantzer, then the Director of the AGS lab. We had debated shallow cuts and viewing distances for years, as discussed in earlier chapters. In 2005, I replaced one of my wife's earring ideal cut stones with a shallow diamond. The shallow stone had a 59.5% table, 31.3° crown and 40.6° pavilion with not very good symmetry. The remaining ideal cut stone had a 55.3% table, 34.9° crown and 40.75° pavilion with perfect optical symmetry (hearts and arrows).

After 3 months of annoying many people by asking which looked better, there was no doubt that the shallow stone performed better in all sorts of lighting environments. Clean or dirty. I had my wife swap ears with the diamonds every day to ensure they were equally dirty. That was when I discovered that shallow diamonds lose less brilliance when dirty. Peter Yantzer preferred the dirty shallow diamond earring when we were out to dinner at the JCK Las Vegas trade fair, much to his surprise.”

Here’s a recent thread with links to the PS thread, where Garry posted the above and the recent IGI talk where they talk about proportions and viewing distance. In the YouTube., the specific portion about shallower angles and viewing distance starts around 15 minutes.

Post in thread 'Has anyone compared Loosegrown diamond lab chosen by our experts, vs. WF or BG lab?'
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...r-experts-vs-wf-or-bg-lab.283235/post-5336692

I know that’s a lot of information, and it’s easy to get lost in the minutiae! :lol:

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Here’s what @Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:
“Dirty Diamond Experiment

I did a shallow diamond earring test to prove the point for Peter Yantzer, then the Director of the AGS lab. We had debated shallow cuts and viewing distances for years, as discussed in earlier chapters. In 2005, I replaced one of my wife's earring ideal cut stones with a shallow diamond. The shallow stone had a 59.5% table, 31.3° crown and 40.6° pavilion with not very good symmetry. The remaining ideal cut stone had a 55.3% table, 34.9° crown and 40.75° pavilion with perfect optical symmetry (hearts and arrows).

After 3 months of annoying many people by asking which looked better, there was no doubt that the shallow stone performed better in all sorts of lighting environments. Clean or dirty. I had my wife swap ears with the diamonds every day to ensure they were equally dirty. That was when I discovered that shallow diamonds lose less brilliance when dirty. Peter Yantzer preferred the dirty shallow diamond earring when we were out to dinner at the JCK Las Vegas trade fair, much to his surprise.”

Here’s a recent thread with links to the PS thread, where Garry posted the above and the recent IGI talk where they talk about proportions and viewing distance. In the YouTube., the specific portion about shallower angles and viewing distance starts around 15 minutes.

Post in thread 'Has anyone compared Loosegrown diamond lab chosen by our experts, vs. WF or BG lab?'
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...r-experts-vs-wf-or-bg-lab.283235/post-5336692

I know that’s a lot of information, and it’s easy to get lost in the minutiae! :lol:

Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner. That is very very interesting. I haven't read the thread yet but I will. my experience with what I call 60/60 stones is that they are very bright. Dirt doesn't seem to diminish their appearance either. My sister has one, and my mom. But that said, I don't see the flashes of light and colorful sparkle which I love in the Ideal cut proportions. I'll be thinking about this since I could reduce the cost somewhat.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Well, the minute I start this venture something happens.
I just got some "pink ribbon" bad news and life just changed course.
Dreaming of this project will not get abandoned and I'll be back because it will keep my mind occupied on something fun.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Mrs T

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the minute I start this venture something happens.
I just got some "pink ribbon" bad news and life just changed course.
Dreaming of this project will not get abandoned and I'll be back because it will keep my mind occupied on something fun.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Mrs T

Best wishes!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh - sending so much love through this time.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I adore the IDJ earrings. In my opinion, if there was a loop between the top and bottom stones it would be even better. This would allow for the bottom stone to move more. Even a loop between the top stone and the hook would again allow more interest.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just saw your note. Sending hugs to you through this time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results