shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I reconsider? Is the diamond good, or am I going about this all wrong?

Mennber name

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am new to all of this as I'm looking to propose next month (and very excited!).

I ordered this diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4278621.htm
and ring: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...half-round-solitaire-engagement-ring-3586.htm

I started out looking for a larger diamond (1.7 or 1.8 carats) and moved down after having some concern that a lot of the diamonds i was looking at (Blue Nile, James Allen) were not necessarily of the best dimensions that will deliver great light performance. James Allen was out of the picture anyway, as it turns out their delivery times are about a month out at present.

After I decided I didn't want to take a chance on light performance, given the vagueness of cut performance from Blue Nile and James Allen, I decided it would be easiest to get a Whiteflash A Cut Above diamond. The one I selected met all my criteria (I, VS2, 1.3 to 1.7 carats, just within budget), especially considering that the recipient is not a regular jewelry wearer and is happy with the lower end of 1.3 to 1.8 carats.

After being overwhelmed with diamond decisions, I placed the order for the diamond above. At present, I'm having some concerns about the visibility of the diamond's color. Is it a particularly colored "I" relative to other "I" diamonds? Should I reconsider? I've ordered the diamond, but it hasn't shipped yet. I am perfectly content to tell her after proposing that this is the ring that I thought was best, but we can choose something that is to her liking (she is jewelry averse and not informed or interested in the topic), such as a smaller diamond with less color.

If I should reconsider, I'm very open to your thoughts on what is a good alternative. I'm diamond blind at this point, but came across the following: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4187456.htm. Both diamonds are close to maxing my budget of $15K including a setting and CA sales tax.

So, I'd love your feedback on what this nervous young guy should do. While I have concerns about the diamond, I am 10,000% confident about taking the next step with my future fiance!

Thanks so much!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
First off congradulations on your upcoming engagement
I don't know much about specs so ill leave that up to others but if she isnt colour sensitive hopefully I is white enough
$15K seems alot of money to spend if she isn't really into jewlery but then you will also get pleasure from admiring it
That would be quite a substantially sized ring where i live but i realize what is substantial varies depending on where you live even within America

Taking into account the exchange rate your ring cost more than the deposit for my house !

I am pretty sure i would be overjoyed to receive anything even half as good as your ring
So i am sure your lady will love and adore it
Good luck with the proposal
And i hope the diamond lives up to your expectations

headlight

Ideal_Rock
These are both best of the best. It’s really a matter of whether you want to go higher on color or higher on carat weight. I am very sensitive on color so I would want the G. But it’s also nice to meet that carat-&-a-half benchmark. Regardless, the performance will be stellar.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've all been there. Go with JA/BN to maximize the other 3Cs or pick WF for the best cut, service and upgrade policy. Then, what do you prioritize the most? Color or carat? It is tough.

I do not have any suggestion other than to go with your instinct at this point.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Both stones are beautiful, so there is no wrong answer here but I would say it depends how it will be set. I have an I and the tint bothers me enough to want to upgrade the color. I’m not sure I would feel that way if I only saw it from the top, but because I see the side of my diamond all the time it is an issue. Of course with whiteflash it will be easy to upgrade but if you want to be safe and can afford it, go for the G. My 2 cts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My* experience with a few "I"s (one Super Ideal and the rest nicely cut but not Super Ideals)...they face up beautifully white. Any tint that
can be seen is from staring at the side profile. Since you are going with a 6 prong setting a lot of the pavilion will be covered (but not all).

I suggest you stick with the "I" and see what she thinks. If she thinks (or you) that its too much tint you can always switch to a higher color.
I know you like to get it right the first time but this is tough considering she is not into jewelry that much. In general, the casual observer will notice the
size gained over the drop in color but what really matters is what she thinks/feels.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! Keep us posted!

BTW...here is a relative size difference of the I and G on a size 6 finger.

Capture.PNG

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As suggested I would request that WF provide photos of color comparison for you, you might have gotten lucky with the I and it could look closer to an H. The great thing about WF is since all stones are in house they can do this for you, have them help you by being your eyes

here are others suggestion if you wanted to add it to them to the mix, they are the same size as the G you picked but saves you some $

also don’t forget to look at the premium/expert ones and they have all the same perks as an ACA but just didn’t quite make the mark. I perfect the premium selection over expert

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone you picked is a beautiful stone & the setting is classic. I would stick with the stone you already purchased & see what you think when you get in hand. The best part of WF is that you can upgrade to a higher colour if she finds the I not white enough. Colour is subjective, as said many times on PS. Colour also depends on how you prioritize your C's. Let your eyes (and hers) guide you.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Its a considerable size that you have picked out. Lucky girl! If she doesn't have much of other rings with diamonds that she wears, then maybe the I is ok, as its not going to be compared to anything else on her finger.

If you/her want a pave or row of diamonds for the band and it will go next to the Engagement, then you are kind of stuck in the H/I/J range (depending on cut and style), or her "I" will look off coloured.
Just something to consider.

But ultimately I agree, a lot of ladies need to resize the ring anyways, so maybe she can upgrade the colour afterwards.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the upcoming engagement.

yiu are choosing from the best/ ideal cut stone for performance. So no issues there.

yiur concern about colour is the one that is bugging you.

Agree with others About comparative pictures of both stones.

make sure they do a profile picture of EACH of the 2 stones, separately. choose which side profile of the G or I that you like. Make a note of it. This is important to do this first.

then ask for a sided by side profile comparison for you as well. That picture is probably the most important picture for you to assess the colour.

From the top- both will be white.
From the side- one will be whiter than the other.
Granted You will habe only one stone in real life and you won’t get to compare stones side by side. But side profile comparison of both G and I colour stone is more for your eyes and mind.

why the side profile- this is probably the view of the stone that you/ she will see most often. Others will see the stone from the top.

when driving a car, writing notes etc/ the side profile is what she will see.

the setting is important, too. How many prongs, what colour metal, melee stone, halo etc. if Yellow gold metal, then I think I colour would be fine. But white metal may or may not be a contrasting colour.

the lighting plays a crucial role, too.
fluoro /office lighting, bathroom lighting, ambient lighting, sunlight in AM, PM, cloudy, etc.

Remember that diamonds reflect light. So, the surrounding/ environmental light is key to what you will see being reflected within the diamond.

ACA have awesome performance and will habe great optics, and reflect light beautifully- it will be a bright and sparkly stone. It will outshine most of not all of the brick and motar / mall bought stones.

I am colour sensitive and I would choose G over I.

I have I colour super ideal cut modern round brilliant stones from another vendor. They are stunning and bright. They are for earrings
for my kids. They are bezel set. In certain lighting, I do notice the colour tint of the I colour. Fortunately, they are earrings and would most likely not be noticeable.

I have seen a K colour ACA stone a few months ago on here soemwhere It was set in white gold in classic solitaire (I think) and I could not see a tint!

What that means- Colour sensitivity is different for different ppl. You are choosing on her behalf, unless you can involve her in the decision making. Do her friends have rings that she admires? Perhaps get her to comment on them?

For now, get the images to assess, since you are not close to the store. Then spend time with the images and if you can involve her, do so, as she will be wearing it and staring that beauty all day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results