shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs Help Please

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
A couple of days ago my wonderful husband said I can have diamond studs for our second wedding anniversary! It was such a lovely surprise as we aren’t big gift givers, and he’s a very keen saver. It’s also a welcome distraction from these current bleak times, selfish as that may seem, LOL.

I would really appreciate some help to decide between two vendors, for a starter pair which I plan to upgrade every few years. The budget is $1100 including settings (14k white gold 4 prong baskets with la pousette backs) and I have two quotes but I really can’t decide who to go with.

First is Whiteflash, where I can get K, VS2, .66ctw ACAs.

Second is IDJ, where for the same money I can get H-I, SI1, .70ctw uncerted PS cut quality (but going to enquire about J-K and go slightly bigger).

Clarity isn’t a priority, I’m happy with “eye clean”. But there are no SIs in the price range at WF currently.

I guess since they’re almost baby sized at this point, the upgrade policy is going to be the most important aspect? I think with IDJ I have to just keep the receipt. But what if I lose it?! We tend to move a lot so it’s entirely possible.

I’m also wondering if once I get to a more sizeable pair, I’ll be bothered about them being uncerted if I go with IDJ. Or is this not such an issue with studs as it is e-rings?

Would love your advice/input! Thanks so much :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t speak for IDJ in terms of receipts or upgrades but you don’t have to ‘keep track’ with Whiteflash. They have your purchase record on file and you can access them online e as well. I just got WF ACA studs and the cut quality is superb. Again I can’t speak for IDJ but make sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of cut quality, certifying lab and upgrade policies. For my money, I chose WF for all of those reasons. I have to say in this day and age I wouldn’t personally consider non-certified diamonds. If a trade in policy didn’t work for you, reselling then could be very difficult. You have nothing to back up what you would be trying to sell or trade.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, this is helpful! I’m definitely a novice when it comes to diamonds, but the extra security that comes with Whiteflash is swaying me.

I’m going to ask IDJ if they do certed studs and what their upgrade policy is on those if so.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe they only sell GIA certified stones as compared to Whiteflash’s ACA’s being AGS certified but I feel certain they must have some type of upgrade policy.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely go with WF for the upgrade aspect and the diamonds having AGS reports. Their inventory is a bit low right now in the size you’re looking at, but you can ask them if they have more diamonds coming in once business returns to normal.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your anniversary.

Definitely go with WF for ** your ** specific needs. They are future proof. I’ve purchased many items from IDJ & for those purchases, IDJ was the right vendor for me. With WF, just make sure you put yourself on their diamond notification list so you can be updated via email when they have new stones added to their inventory. I knew for me, studs weren’t my priority, although I did want to add a set to my collection. I didn’t want to go massive in size or spend a huge amount for them as I’m more of a hoop girl & have no plans to upgrade my stones. Boy there is quite a bit on my wish list! I purchased a pair of 1.28 ct H studs from a James Allen & bought earring jackets from IDJ to oomph up their size. I’m satisfied. :). This was the right decision ** for me**. If you aren’t familiar with the jackets, do a search as their are many posts on PS.

Best of luck with whatever or whomever you choose. :)

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your anniversary.

Definitely go with WF for ** your ** specific needs. They are future proof. I’ve purchased many items from IDJ & for those purchases, IDJ was the right vendor for me. With WF, just make sure you put yourself on their diamond notification list so you can be updated via email when they have new stones added to their inventory. I knew for me, studs weren’t my priority, although I did want to add a set to my collection. I didn’t want to go massive in size or spend a huge amount for them as I’m more of a hoop girl & have no plans to upgrade my stones. Boy there is quite a bit on my wish list! I purchased a pair of 1.28 ct H studs from a James Allen & bought earring jackets from IDJ to oomph up their size. I’m satisfied. :). This was the right decision ** for me**. If you aren’t familiar with the jackets, do a search as their are many posts on PS.

Best of luck with whatever or whomever you choose. :)

I LOVE the idea of earring jackets, thank you. I could potentially wear them with pearl studs too if they fit. Have you got any pics of yours?

There’s a lot on my wish list too, sigh!

:lol-2:

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
You should go with white flash, without a doubt. amazing cut quality, lifetime upgrade policy, and incredible customer service. I just received the earrings I bought from them late last week, and they were INCREDIBLE. They sparkled like a couple of disco balls--- white sparkle and colored flashes out the wazoo.

1.29tcw K SI1/VS2:

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_001237_277.jpg
    IMG_20200331_001237_277.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200331_001127_535.jpg
    IMG_20200331_001127_535.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 4-Prong-Earrings-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_58059_55714_a.JPG
    4-Prong-Earrings-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_58059_55714_a.JPG
    677.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
You should go with white flash, without a doubt. amazing cut quality, lifetime upgrade policy, and incredible customer service. I just received the earrings I bought from them late last week, and they were INCREDIBLE. They sparkled like a couple of disco balls--- white sparkle and colored flashes out the wazoo.

1.29tcw K SI1/VS2:

I am definitely decided on WF!
Thanks for sharing these, they’re gorgeous. I cannot believe they are a K. Do they look this white in real life? I was going to spend a little more and get G SI1 instead of K as originally planned, but yours have me rethinking!
My e-ring is an E CBI (started with H but switched after a month or so as I didn’t love the tint). Decisions!

Reactions: AV_

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Does CBI do studs? Then it could be matchy matchy.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
If timing allows and you want it to be matchy matchy, then I would wait.

I actually kind of like the idea of having a CBI and ACAs. Plus I’m not good at waiting :oops2:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
@Jsand you will love ACA. I think you can definitely go down in color for studs since they will be on your ears and face up white especially ACA studs, however, if you upgraded your H due to tint then a K may not be for you. You will see tint only when holding them imo, but that may still bother you.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
@Jsand you will love ACA. I think you can definitely go down in color for studs since they will be on your ears and face up white especially ACA studs, however, if you upgraded your H due to tint then a K may not be for you. You will see tint only when holding them imo, but that may still bother you.

You’re right, think I’m going with G SI1s!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Does CBI do studs? Then it could be matchy matchy.

They not only have studs but they also do upgrade that no one else does. If you have an engagement ring to trade... you don't have to trade it for another/more expensive diamond. You can trade up one diamond for two (or more) smaller ones.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
They not only have studs but they also do upgrade that no one else does. If you have an engagement ring to trade... you don't have to trade it for another/more expensive diamond. You can trade up one diamond for two (or more) smaller ones.

I love my CBI e-ring and will be upgrading it with them later this year. No plans to trade it in for these earrings!

For the studs, WF is much more affordable. Their upgrade policy is also the same as HPD (except for HPD’s 80% buyback which I hope not to ever need!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results