shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs .6 ctw

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing my first pair of non-mall diamond studs and have looked through the diamond stud thread on show me the bling. Thanks to this forum I've been exclusively looking at ideal cuts. I found this pair on whiteflash that fits my budget: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3936404&Diamond2=4006515.

However, I'm worried about two things. First, the diamond on the right seems to have a slight yellow tinge compared to the other to me. Could just be my mind playing tricks on me so I wanted to check and see if anyone else saw it. Second, I'm worried about the size. Even after seeing the diamond stud thread, I'm having a hard time deciding if they will be big enough. My ears are pretty small, but I don't want the studs to just disappear. I know I will likely upgrade to a bigger set in six months to a year when my budget allows. But would really enjoy having a pair to wear in the interim. Is the upgrade process usually smooth or would I be better off waiting and purchasing my final set later? Thanks all!

Edited to add that I really prefer staying in the VS2 or higher range. It's just a mind thing for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful pair...have you considered going down in color since you know you will be upgrading these in a year or so? I* would have no problem
wearing a lower color but bigger pair for a year. Just my 2 cents.

You can get up into the .8 range with Ks but I understand that might be too low color for you.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did exactly what you have in mind, @Caly27... started with a smaller pair and upgraded a year later. I think for the qualities that are important to you, you’ve chosen a really nice pair. =)2

I also see what you’re noticing about the color difference, but I really think it’s an aspect of photography. You can always ask WF to do a side-by-side comparison photo and give you their assessment.

As for size, I believe you’ll be so dazzled that it won’t be a concern, especially if you’re comparing them with typical studs. All folks will notice are amazing sparklers.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Its a beautiful pair...have you considered going down in color since you know you will be upgrading these in a year or so? I* would have no problem
wearing a lower color but bigger pair for a year. Just my 2 cents.

You can get up into the .8 range with Ks but I understand that might be too low color for you.

When I was shopping for an engagement ring, I found that anything past H had a tint to me--not yellow but a certain amount of warmth. I definitely love some of the diamonds below H that I've seen here, particularly in yellow gold settings, but I think it might bother me.
However, I don't know how much of a difference you see with smaller stones like these.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
I did exactly what you have in mind, @Caly27... started with a smaller pair and upgraded a year later. I think for the qualities that are important to you, you’ve chosen a really nice pair. =)2

I also see what you’re noticing about the color difference, but I really think it’s an aspect of photography. You can always ask WF to do a side-by-side comparison photo and give you their assessment.

As for size, I believe you’ll be so dazzled that it won’t be a concern, especially if you’re comparing them with typical studs. All folks will notice are amazing sparklers.

I'm going to follow up with them about the color issue. Did you go through whiteflash? Was the upgrade process easy if so?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pair but I would echo what tyty said and compromise a little on color and/or clarity to get slightly larger stones, since these will be on your ears and will face up super white and still be eye clean!

I'm color sensitive for erings (I have a G) but I have 1.6ctw studs and one is an H and the other is an I and they are very white for me on the ears!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to follow up with them about the color issue. Did you go through whiteflash? Was the upgrade process easy if so?

Yes, I went with WF. And the upgrade process was easy - too easy. lol I found a potential pair for upgrade and messaged my rep. They were placed on hold while I had them evaluated since they were SIs clarity. Once I was satisfied and ready to move forward, I sent my original pair back and the new ones were ready in about 2 weeks. I think it took longer for me to decide if I wanted the 6-prong or the 8-prong settings. :roll2:

And to follow-up on color, I agree with the others. You can take a look at a wider range and definitely go bigger to start if size is a concern. My original pair were Gs only because inventory was limited for the carat size I wanted to get at the time. The upgraded pair are Js and I couldn't be happier!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought .66ctw J colored ACAs in February, and by June I had upgraded to 1.3ctw J's, lol. I have the Js in yellow gold, so I can't tell any tint and the only thing I see is sparkle. The .66ctw were just too small for what I wanted. Let me see if I can find a photo.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
here you go. The .3ct diamond is on the bottom. .75ct on the top (a pair I've since sold) earring.jpg
Hi @HappyNewLife :wavey:

Is the .75ct set in yellow gold too? Hard to tell from the picture. I have to say, I never would have guessed those are J. They look whiter.

Gorgeous earrings!!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
here you go. The .3ct diamond is on the bottom. .75ct on the top (a pair I've since sold) earring.jpg

Is that the 8 prong setting? Did you do that on both your .66s and your new ones? How did you like that setting for the smaller pair?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the 8 prong setting? Did you do that on both your .66s and your new ones? How did you like that setting for the smaller pair?

it is. I chose it because.... well, cheap, since I like to upgrade ;-) I LOVED the setting on the smaller pair, more so than on the larger stud. It just sat almost flush since the point was I guess "sharper" than on a bigger diamond, does that make any sense? Lemme see if I can find a decent photo of the bigger stud in the same setting

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
more (not great) photos of my bigger Js to give you an idea how the color looks. Honestly in yellow gold, I can't tell at all.

WFearrings12.jpg WFearrings5.jpg

Caly27

Rough_Rock

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm leaning toward sticking with these since I couldn't find any Is that were in my budget, ACAs, and different in size in whiteflash's inventory. I have a current pair of studs that are 3 mm in diameter and am content with their size. These should be 1 mm larger so I'm hoping they'll look somewhat similar. Or maybe a little bigger. :roll2:

IMG_9686.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
more (not great) photos of my bigger Js to give you an idea how the color looks. Honestly in yellow gold, I can't tell at all.

WFearrings12.jpg WFearrings5.jpg
They really are so beautiful! And I too have been having a lot of yellow gold moments in my jewelry lately but was thinking for earrings I would want to stick with white gold.

However your fabulous earrings are definitely giving me pause to consider dropping in color to get a bigger size and set in yellow gold.:P2

Thanks for sharing pics, super helpful to see real life examples! :appl:

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I have the Hs on hold and am leaning toward them. But I saw this pair on whiteflash this morning. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3981491&Diamond2=3981495

J is below what I was previously thinking but HappyNewLife's pieces are beautiful. Do you think I could expect to see warmth in them if they were set in white gold? I'm going to chat with Becca about it. But the close to extra mm would be nice if the color wouldn't be distracting.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having Js set in white gold will be fine. My 1.27ct Js are set that way and I don’t see any warmth, really. These aren’t the best photos, but I think you’ll get the idea.

5D3A5980-148C-4E97-9B17-C023EE4F3382.jpeg 30BC75C0-F51B-4682-9526-725D44172F5A.jpeg

Either pair you listed above will be nice - of the two, I would choose the first you linked because the measurements are more closely matched than the second.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might see warmth when you open the box in certain lighting but I don't think you'll notice it when on the ears. The J's would be a great way to save money or get a larger pair!

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. You all have such beautiful pieces! Becca immediately responded to my inquiry and sent some very helpful photos. Ultimately decided on the Hs for now. I can see why Whiteflash is such a favorite here though. Even for a relatively small purchase like mine, Becca was incredibly responsive and helpful. The helpfulness is dangerous though--I'm already looking forward to upgrading and then getting a bracelet from them. :lol:

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. You all have such beautiful pieces! Becca immediately responded to my inquiry and sent some very helpful photos. Ultimately decided on the Hs for now. I can see why Whiteflash is such a favorite here though. Even for a relatively small purchase like mine, Becca was incredibly responsive and helpful. The helpfulness is dangerous though--I'm already looking forward to upgrading and then getting a bracelet from them. :lol:
Agree, Becca is awesome!!! Please post pic's when you receive them!!

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Just received them...I'm in love. They're so sparkly. :kiss2: I was worried about them being too small, but I think they work. Can't say that will keep me from considering an upgrade in the future though. Thanks for the help, everyone!

IMG_9770.jpg
IMG_9773 (1).jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look great on you, @Caly27 !

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just received them...I'm in love. They're so sparkly. :kiss2: I was worried about them being too small, but I think they work. Can't say that will keep me from considering an upgrade in the future though. Thanks for the help, everyone!

IMG_9770.jpg
IMG_9773 (1).jpg

Beautiful! So these are 4mm, H color, set in white gold?

They look great on you and I suspect will get a lot of wear. :love:

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Those look lovely!!! And you went with the H color? They look very white. Enjoy and wear them in good health!!

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone! You guys are so sweet. And yep, @LittleRed they're both approximately 4.3 mm set in white gold.

I have noticed that the screwbacks on these are a bit different than other pairs I've had. The screwback portion seems to go closer to the diamond on the post (I suppose to keep the earring from drooping) and the post itself feels a bit bigger than other pairs. They're not quite as immediately comfortable as previous pairs but I imagine my ears will get used to them. Or, at least they will if they know what's good for them. :angryfire:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay!! Your new studs are fantastic, @Caly27. I know you were worried about size, but I think they look perfect on your ears! Color me with green with envy over your small lobes. lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results