shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Earrings - Major Confusion in Choosing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparksfromstatic

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I spent a lot of late nights reading posts and doing research, now I seem to be confused than ever. Information Overload! My wife also knows I am up to something!

I want to purchase diamond stud earrings (round cut) for my wife for Christmas/40th birthday. I have saved up around $2200. I prefer to get the best bang for the buck, and I feel comfortable buying from an online jeweler or even ebay vendor. I could spend as much as $2400.

Five years ago I purchased her engagement and wedding ring. It is a 1.03 Diamond solitaire, color H, Clarity VS2, Round full cut (Kaplin Ideal), Lazar Inscribed. The band is platinum, vintage look, similar to some of the Tacori line. (In hindsight, I wish I would have purchased her a larger diamond with lower quality. Most "average" people look at the size and don''t know much about the quality as long as it sparkles.) She is petite so any earrings bigger than 1/2 may get too large.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I prefer to buy from a seller that will include certificates from GIA, AGSL, etc.

It sounds like the cut is the most important, especially for earrings. My understanding is that both diamonds should be nearly the same. Any dimensions that I should try to stay within?

Which online dealers have people had luck with? Do any ever offer any coupon codes? I found a 10% for bluenile if you use a visa?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

Scott

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2007 12:33:08 PM
Author: aljdewey
In your position, I'd really go with WF's Ready-set-go option.

You can get 1.00 cwt (half-carat each) studs, I, SI quality set in 3-prong martini setting for $2345. WF does discount for bank wire transactions as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Three-Prong--Martini---READY-SET-TO-GO_950.htm'

Outside of this, there's really not a lot of stock right now with any of the vendors in the .4 to .6 range.
Welcome to Pricescope Scott. This is how I would approach it too, that way you will end up with stunning earrings.

sparksfromstatic

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help so far. A couple of questions:

1) I have seen a lot of posts on this site for WL ready-set-go. Is this cheaper than picking stones? If so, why?

2) What cut would be the minimum to go with? A "good cut" or anything above that.

Thanks again, Scott

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2007 1:31:13 PM
Author: sparksfromstatic
Thanks so much for your help so far. A couple of questions:

1) I have seen a lot of posts on this site for WL ready-set-go. Is this cheaper than picking stones? If so, why?

2) What cut would be the minimum to go with? A 'good cut' or anything above that.

Thanks again, Scott
Scott, the WF Ready Set Go earrings have the WF Expert Selection diamonds preset. The ES diamonds have a superb cut and are already matched, hence the work is done for you - superbly cut and matched diamonds are easily available, and this is far easier than trying to match and pick diamonds yourself, and no need to worry about the cut - it will be great whichever of the RSG you choose.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will only add, be aware, the RSG are not upgradable, if you think that''s an option down the road.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Also, WF offers other yummy settings if you''re not crazy about the 3-prong martinis. You can see all of them on the "earrings" section of the site. IMO, the 8-prong setting is to die for. I think that GOG does something similar to this for earrings, too, but the page there doesn''t have pretty photos.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
There's been a plethora of studs threads recently... it seems to be a popular purchase right now here in PS'ville! I just got a new pair, an upgrade to ~1.5 tcw and they are killer cut "K" stones and they are so white! I just ADORE them! (There's a thread around here in the SMTR forum if you are interested in seeing pictures.) Anyway, don't be afraid to go lower in color as long as the cut is great. I think you will be astonished at how WHITE they look!

Also, the RSG from WF is a GREAT deal... as long as you realize they are not upgradable. But maybe if you keep your lovely wife away from us here at Pricescope that won't really be a problem!!!
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif

ETA: Ooops, almost forgot. I TOTALLY vote for the 3-prong martini setting... they nestle in close to the ear, no earring droop at all! Looks like the diamond is floating on the ear, a truly lovely look (IMVHO!)

sparksfromstatic

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have narrowed the search, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Which would you choose and why?

1)
1.02, Cut Ideal, Color I, Clarity VS2, Polish Excellent, Symmetry Excellent, GIA Cut Excellent (from Report)
2)
1.00, Cut Signature Ideal, Color I, Clarity SI1, Polish Excellent, Symmetry Excellent, GIA Cut Excellent (from Report)

Also, should I be checking the exact measurements and proportions, or are the grading reports fro GIA or AGSL good enough?
Thanks Again, Scott

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these a matched pair such as the RSG, or are these diamonds you found yourself? The links to the diamonds or set studs as the case may be, would be helpful so we can see the proportions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 10:46:49 AM
Author: sparksfromstatic

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have narrowed the search, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Which would you choose and why?

1)
1.02, Cut Ideal, Color I, Clarity VS2, Polish Excellent, Symmetry Excellent, GIA Cut Excellent (from Report)

2)
1.00, Cut Signature Ideal, Color I, Clarity SI1, Polish Excellent, Symmetry Excellent, GIA Cut Excellent (from Report)

Also, should I be checking the exact measurements and proportions, or are the grading reports fro GIA or AGSL good enough?

Thanks Again, Scott

You definitely want the diameters fairly close.

Ditto to what Lorelei said/asked.

sparksfromstatic

Rough_Rock
"Are these matched or did I find them myself?"

I am using the create your own diamond earrings feature at bluenile.com. They have matched sets already in place for you.

I''ll try to post the links tonight when I get out of work.

Thanks, Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results