shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Earring issues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I keep having the same issues with my diamond studs and it''s causing me to be afraid to wear them! It seems like either the backs are not tight enough on the post, or they are pulled out of my ear by my hair. Do you guys have any idea what I can do to remedy this? Should I reset them into a screw-back setting? Thanks for any advice!
Here is what the current settings look like :

Stud-Earrings-3.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
and here are the earrings in question. I''m not sure of the ttcw, but my ering stone is 1.21 if that helps.

eringearring.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I have my studs with screw-on backs and feel they are more secure.

Maybe you can get a reset or a tighter fitting backing?

summertime

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if this would work or not, but maybe try those small, clear plastic backs that come with most fashion earrings that have the hook-style backs. I don''t think your hair would interfere with them, and you might be able to find some that are a nice, tight fit.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get friction backs that are called "heavy friction". I have those on my studs and I think those are most secure of all. Screwbacks seem to wear away over time...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I may be the odd man out, but I have lost more screw back earrings than friction. Sometimes, earring backs do lose pressure though. In that case, I either get new, tight fitting backs or tighten the existing one with pliers (not on my expensive earrings!)

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much ladies. I will definitely be talking to my jeweler. I have temporarily lost one of these studs 5 times already... it''s not good for your heart to be stopped that many times! I wasn''t aware that they could become loose over time... that''s scary too!
Thanks again!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Ditto both the heavy friction backs and the plastic wide backs - either would probably help a lot! I don''t like screw backs.
14.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I had a scare with a screw back...was driving home from picking up a car in Texas, and just had to stop at DQ...went to the restroom, and one diamond stud is hanging halfway out of my ear!

I''m looking into remounting my studs...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i was told, by a sa of the vendor i purchased my studs from, to use tweezers to squeeze the backs closer together. it is a simple procedure and has worked to tighten them when they feel loose. mine are 2ctw and mounted in platinum. hth.

eta: the mounting style is martini

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I have heavy friction backs and I love them - no problems at all so far. But I was told, when I got them, that they can loosen a bit over time. Whiteflash told me I could take them to any jeweler to have them tightened if that happens - maybe that''s worth a shot?

Fiaind

Rough_Rock
Since this hasn''t been mentioned yet, have you thought about the locking backs? I think they''re licensed under the name protector/protektor from stuller. They are flat stud backs that work on the same mechanism that tie tack backs work on. I''ve had mine a little over a year on all my stud earrings and haven''t had one problem. Well, not a problem once I learned how to work the little buggers. The only thing is they do take a bit of manual dexterity to put on or take off. But once locked on the earring post, they do not move.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Fiaind, Do you have a picture of these? I am getting very annoyed at my earrings...thank you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler sells those locking backs... they're really cool. When I need new backs for my earrings, however, I go to my local pawn shop because they keep a good selection of earring backs on hand. (It's a reputable place that's been around for a long time
2.gif
). I can't be sure from the picture you posted, but is it possible that the backs on your diamond earrings are just too lightweight to do the job? You might find that just getting a larger, sturdier set of backs will do the job.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Addy, for the pic, and the link.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:59:20 PM
Author: reader
Thank you, Addy, for the pic, and the link.

You''re welcome. I have earrings with those backs and love them. I didn''t like my previous screw backs, but was afraid of losing diamond earrings with tension backs so I tried these. They have been great for me.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all again for your suggestions! Addy, I think you nailed it!! I would feel really secure wearing those backs and am going to order them immediately!! My studs are I think a carat each and very, very sentimental and it kills me to not wear them. I had one too many close calls and my hubby just about forbade me to wear them from seeing my anguish having to look for them. Thank you SO much!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paula, I do love these back and I''ve had small diamond earrings with all three types of backs now. I can''t take the credit though, Fianid was the first to recommend them. My one fear about them is that a regular tension back doesn''t fit onto the proteckor post. If I lost a back for whatever reason (sometimes I have to fiddle to get them on so I could imagine dropping one then) a regular back doesn''t fit on the post. Most jewellery stores seem to sell them or can get them, but they are more costly than tension backs to replace.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I had the same issue because I was afraid of losing studs... until I found these super hypoallergenic polymer backs!

I prefer them over my la pousette locking backs, even! They stay on SO tight I have to literally spend 30 seconds twirling them off at night.

And they have large discs in the back to prevent ANY drooping... AND THEY ARE CALLED SUPABACKS, for SUPA GRANNIES!!!!
36.gif
LOL.

supabacks.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Or to wear with your la pousette locking backs - I also have these. They''re great!

You can buy high quality ones at a rate of 50 for just 99 cents or so. They''re called earring clutches or guards.

When I wear my hair up, I always laugh because whoever is behind me is probably thinking I''m crazy for wearing diamond studs with plastic backs but they''re AWESOME!

earringbacks1.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another shot of the Polymer Supabacks! They''re awesome! The hard part is patiently twirling your studs out of these things because they have the death grip -- you will NEVER lose an earring out of these suckers! They''re SUPA GRANNY approved!

supabacks2.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I have the locking backs on my studs, and love them. They come under different names -- Guardian, La Pousette (sp?) etc. You may have to change the post for them to work properly, but IMO it''s worth it. I''m too impatient to spend a lot of time screwing a screw back on, and I don''t like their feel -- the posts for screw backs are thicker than a standard post. I used to ALWAYs lose an earring when trying on clothes, and now I never do. I really trust the locking backs and they are comfortable.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:44:52 AM
Author: geckodani
Ditto both the heavy friction backs and the plastic wide backs - either would probably help a lot! I don''t like screw backs.
14.gif
Exactly what I was going to say. I HATE screw backs - I drop those backs all the time.

When my earrings get loose I just go to the jewelry store and try their assorted friction backs until I find some that fit snug. Another thing I do is order earnuts from jewelrysupply.com and have an assortment of sizes on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results