shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
I''m considering getting a pair of stud earrings. I lucked out and have a beautiful H SI1 E-ring.

What is the lowest in clarity I might consider for earrings?

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can find some nice eye clean SI2''s. Check out the ES from White Flash, www.whiteflash.com . They represent a great value and a great cut. Good luck!!
1.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
If you are budgeting, Si gives you the best quality for the $$. You really do not need a VS b/c not only will others not see the inclusions, neither will you. I wouldn''t suggest going lower, just b/c I feel like ejoyment of the diamond gets lost once you get past Si3 (plus a higher % that it may crack).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that SI is a great clarity for studs, SI2 even if you can find nice eye clean ones, mine are SI1''s and they look great. I would not pay for anything higher than SI actually for studs and I would go with nice I1''s if I could find them. It''s very hard to see much from the ear but sparkle!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_40cttw__f_i1.htm

Like these? :) I was eyeballing these...but am going a new pendant route instead...
11.gif

Good I1s are there..but I''m sure quite hard to find!

I would have absolutely no prob going si2 even if I could see a little something something without a loupe...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Unlike a ring, people never get close enough to your earrings to eyeball clarity (yourself included). Good I1''s will do the job fine, or SI2''s. There''s really no reason to spend the big bucks on clarity for earrings that you would spend on a ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 10:27:22 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Unlike a ring, people never get close enough to your earrings to eyeball clarity (yourself included). Good I1''s will do the job fine, or SI2''s. There''s really no reason to spend the big bucks on clarity for earrings that you would spend on a ring.

sanely said! and with the saved $$$$, one can get larger studs!

peace, movie zombie

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think it would probably be worth the effort to find good I1s, since it would allow you to go bigger! But definitely nothing about SI.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Unlike a ring, people never get close enough to your earrings to eyeball clarity (yourself included). Good I1's will do the job fine, or SI2's. There's really no reason to spend the big bucks on clarity for earrings that you would spend on a ring.

Interesting Rich. I have another spin on that. Around a year ago 5 of my best friends' wives all received similar pairs of diamond earrings (wonder who hooked 'em up
1.gif
), and ever since that time the girls have noted how people talk about/look at the earrings closer-up because they are right at eye-level.

Of course, the observer is not necessarily the person the wearer is talking to - it's the person next to them while driving. In the bank line. In the church pew. At the cocktail party. The focus of the earring wearer's attention may never be seeing them so closely as the ones sneaking glances.

Thought I'd offer that perspective. Of course, since earrings are typically smaller than finger blingers relative size versus distance may even out.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 3:08:07 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Around a year ago 5 of my best friends'' wives all received similar pairs of diamond earrings (wonder who hooked ''em up ), and ever since that time the girls have noted how people talk about/look at the earrings closer-up because they are right at eye-level.
Could it be because those were terribly bright!
2.gif

Interesting spin though ''this ''earrings never get looked at'' sentence is so often given it was worth measuring things up.
It takes a bit of courage to clear one''s shoulder and look at earrings (mostly from the back, unless you hug them) - so that is about as far from my eyes as my ring on the hand is while typing. From this point of view, earrings are about as closely watched as the ring. However, rings are looked at very closely both by the owner and others who feel entitled to ask ''show me the ring''. That may happen to earrings too (first day wearing them at the office).

Anyway, there are enough SI2 rings around here, that the same grade seems a straightforward choice for the usually smaller earrings.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take nice I1''s in a heartbeat for earrings
3.gif
11.gif
also a pendant

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 10:01:38 PM
Author:Jo

I''m considering getting a pair of stud earrings. I lucked out and have a beautiful H SI1 E-ring.

What is the lowest in clarity I might consider for earrings?

I suppose you were looking for an ''eye clean'' colorless stone.

Since the studs would be smaller, you may find some equally lucky SI2 relatively easy. Below that it takes a bit more luck
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 3:08:07 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Interesting Rich. I have another spin on that. Around a year ago 5 of my best friends'' wives all received similar pairs of diamond earrings (wonder who hooked ''em up
1.gif
), and ever since that time the girls have noted how people talk about/look at the earrings closer-up because they are right at eye-level.

Of course, the observer is not necessarily the person the wearer is talking to - it''s the person next to them while driving. In the bank line. In the church pew. At the cocktail party. The focus of the earring wearer''s attention may never be seeing them so closely as the ones sneaking glances.

Thought I''d offer that perspective. Of course, since earrings are typically smaller than finger blingers relative size versus distance may even out.
Interesting.....so this made me do a little experiment.

I held my diamond right up to my dominant eye.....and it, of course, was out of focus. It didn''t come into crisp focus (enough to look into a stone and see inclusions) until it was about 8.5 inches from my eye. (Yes, I measured!
1.gif
)

At 8.5 inches from my earring.....someone (besides Rich) would have to be seriously invading my personal space to get that close! I''d guess that even standing next to me in the bank wouldn''t get much closer than 14" or so to the earring.....and it''s much smaller than my e-ring stone.

As such, I''d personally be extremely comfortable going SI2 or even a decent I1.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 12:23:51 PM
Author: aljdewey
At 8.5 inches from my earring.....someone (besides Rich) would have to be seriously invading my personal space to get that close! I''d guess that even standing next to me in the bank wouldn''t get much closer than 14'' or so to the earring.....and it''s much smaller than my e-ring stone.

As such, I''d personally be extremely comfortable going SI2 or even a decent I1.
i totally agree. that and knowing how amazing ''j''''s look, i would seriously consider a k/si2/i1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results