shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond strains

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I have a question about some strain that I noticed in some stones, like this one. When you turn the diamond sideways you can see come dark spots. What are theme? I asked to a JA shop assistant and she said thas they are only reflections, but i’m not convinced… only few diamond that i saw have that strains (i don’t know if it is the right term to call them). What do you think? Thank you

93181783dc44eba1a8106f4346aad465.jpeg

Attachments

• e763b3114eca100636bc918ce904f2ab.jpeg
    e763b3114eca100636bc918ce904f2ab.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 17

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
I did a reserch, and maybe the right term is “blemish”. Sorry but im trying to explain myself, english is not my mother tongue. Thanks in advance for your help

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Mary1234!
I'd be inclined to agree that they are reflections...the diamond appears to have really clean HPHT material.

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
Hi and thanks for the welcome and reply! I have noticed that these blemishes can occur both on mined and lab grown stones, so in any case I don't think it is something that only concerns hpht. What made me suspicious about the fact that they can be reflections is that the blemishes remain still even while the stone turns. However, may I also ask if the stone I linked from 1.57 ct looks like a good stone to you? Thanks in advance!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its the angle relative to the lighting and camera combined with the lighting.
In this virtual picture I do not have the bright light hitting the table but you can see the same effect on the edge.
You can even see its composed of smaller virtual facets just like the real picture above.
Since I can do it in virtual its optical not the specific diamond.
tiltpic.jpg

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
Its the angle relative to the lighting and camera combined with the lighting.
In this virtual picture I do not have the bright light hitting the table but you can see the same effect on the edge.
You can even see its composed of smaller virtual facets just like the real picture above.
Since I can do it in virtual its optical not the specific diamond.
tiltpic.jpg

okay thanks! I was worried about this blemished effect because I only noticed it on some stones and not on others, and I thought that if it was a light effect it should have been on other stones as well. But you certainly have more experience and therefore I trust you, thanks for your help!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your welcome.
I got to thinking about it.
One thing that can make a difference is not all JA videos are taken under the same setup or location.
While they use similar equipment its not identical in the way its set up.
Then you have variations in the relative angles varied by pavilion/lower angle and different configurations of table size/crown angle and girdle size and configuration.
In other words there are a ton of variables that keeps them from being identical.

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
Your welcome.
I got to thinking about it.
One thing that can make a difference is not all JA videos are taken under the same setup or location.
While they use similar equipment its not identical in the way its set up.
Then you have variations in the relative angles varied by pavilion/lower angle and different configurations of table size/crown angle and girdle size and configuration.
In other words there are a ton of variables that keeps them from being identical.

I didn’t know it! This then explains how it is possible. Thanks again for clearing my doubts!

Can I ask again if you think it's a good stone? Even though I've already bought it, unfortunately I didn't know this forum where I could ask for advice before.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes its a good one.
Very well cut stone with no major crystal issues.

Mary1234

Rough_Rock
Thanks! do you think i could have found some better stone in terms of cut or whatever? (except clarity which is already fine for me vvs2). I know that thinking about it now that I've already bought it is useless, but I would like to be sure that I bought one of the better options.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks! do you think i could have found some better stone in terms of cut or whatever? (except clarity which is already fine for me vvs2). I know that thinking about it now that I've already bought it is useless, but I would like to be sure that I bought one of the better options.

It's one of the better options.
You did good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results