shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond size for larger fingers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikester

Rough_Rock
Hi, my g/f has fairly thick fingers (around a size 7). I heard that for larger fingers you want to get a larger rock.

... working with a limited budget what are your thoughts on a

0.45 carat Ideal cut
EX polish and symmetry
VS2-clarity
F-color

versus

0.65 carat Ideal cut
EX polish and symmetry
SI2-clarity
J-color

... assuming they are the same price? The main differences are the increase in carat size but loss in clarity and color. Remember we are talking size 7 ring. Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel her pain as I too have larger fingers! Welcome to PS
35.gif

We need more info on these diamonds to be able to tell how they are cut. Can you post the:

grading report
depth
table
crown angle
pavillion angle
girdle measurement
fluorescence if any

Then we can help you from there. Also don't assume these diamonds are well cut because they have an Ideal Cut label, that doesn't always mean anything, each diamond needs to be assessed on it's own.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably try to swing at least 1/3 of a carat and then halo it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 3:51:11 AM
Author:mikester
Hi, my g/f has fairly thick fingers (around a size 7). I heard that for larger fingers you want to get a larger rock.

... working with a limited budget what are your thoughts on a

0.45 carat Ideal cut
EX polish and symmetry
VS2-clarity
F-color

versus

0.65 carat Ideal cut
EX polish and symmetry
SI2-clarity
J-color

... assuming they are the same price? The main differences are the increase in carat size but loss in clarity and color. Remember we are talking size 7 ring. Thanks!
i can''t pick without knowing more, as lorelei said. i would want to know that they are both well cut and make the decision from there.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Has she ever expressed a preference? Smaller but higher colour/clarity over larger but going down a few grades? Have you two ever looked at rings together? Does she want a tiffany 4prong ie delicate setting versus something bold like Whiteflash''s semibezel? I have a size 7 finger and though I opted for the simple 4 prong I do lust after the etoile style ring and a .45 would be the perfect size- however as it is a heavy setting it would cost as much as the diamond...

mikester

Rough_Rock
Hi guys thanks for your replies!

By Ideal cut, sorry I was a little vague, I meant the cut is "ideal" as categorized by Blue Nile. They are both ROUND brilliant cuts as labeled by the GIA report.

To the earlier poster, I am not really sure what you mean by "halo"ing it??

To LisaC: the setting would most likely be a channel-set sidestone arrangement, 18k white gold, the width would be 3 mm. I really want to surprise her! She is an international student from a culture where engagement rings are not the norm. Since she''s in America now I really want to surprise her! So she doesn''t know about the ring ...

Thanks for your suggestions, keep ''em coming.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said earlier, don't go by labels like Ideal cut, to assume that a diamond IS well cut. See if you can get the info I mentioned above, otherwise we really can't tell. Look on the grading reports ( assuming GIA OR AGS) and you can post the info here. If these diamonds have older GIA reports then the info might not be available, but do look.

Julie will be here later, but in the meantime a halo means a circlet of diamonds around a centre stone, just like a halo or ring of diamonds all the way around the main one, see the pic Julie posted. This can have the effect of making a centre diamond appear larger and might be an option for you. I was thinking maybe a good middleground might also be a G or H SI1 perhaps, assuming the above diamonds don't check out, if you pursue the SI2, make sure you ask if it is eyeclean and know your own definition of what is eyeclean and acceptable to you.

Here too - Show Me Your Rings With Halos

mikester

Rough_Rock
ok here are the links to the diamonds, all roughly $1200 give or take ..

the 0.45 carat one:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00993380&filter_id=1

a 0.58 carat one:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00911041&filter_id=1

the 0.65 carat one:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00476686&filter_id=1

- which is the best deal in your opinion??

Julie: that Halo setting is gorgeous! any idea what is the width of the ring? Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, ain't it pretty? Something that is in a halo will appear to be more substantial than any solitaire you could get. I think the width of that ring is probably 3 mm? Bill Pearlman will be able to answer that better. I also think it's the best deal.

The H and J are nice options. No GIA report for the E is posted.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d buy from a vendor with an excellent upgrade policy in case she ever wants to go bigger. Beyond that, it depends on her color/size preferences. I personally would go for the .6 J/SI, but she may go for the .4 F/VS.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness! Those Pearlman''s 18k halo rings are a fabulous price!!!...with or without the center stone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ixnay on the smaller F VS and get something like a J SI2 especially in that size...!

halo'ing a smaller stone is a great idea.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think the J/SI1 is a great deal. I couldn''t find anything else that has the same diameter (that''s what I look at when trying to figure out how "big" it will look), and it gets a nice HCA score of 1.4.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results