shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size for engagement ring?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by larry, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. larry
    Rough_Rock

by larry » Mar 7, 2002
    I wanted to know if anyone could help in determining a good size of diamond for an engagement ring. Her ring finger is only size 4 (quite small) and I don't want the ring to look obtrusive and goddy, just proportional, nice and elegant. I have been looking at a good quality 0.5 carat (measurements around 5mm diameter) and didn't know if this is to small. The setting I am considering is a tiffinay style platinum with either 4 or 6 prongs.

Thanks a million

2. lawmax
    Brilliant_Rock

by lawmax » Mar 7, 2002
    This is a matter of personal preference. Do you have any idea if she has a preference? Some people do prefer size over cut quality. Some think the look of a smaller stone is more elegant.

I have a size 4 finger and wear a 1.6 carat diamond. I don't think it looks at all gaudy, but I'm not short and have long fingers. Perhaps you can get an idea of what she likes.

3. larry
    Rough_Rock

by larry » Mar 7, 2002
    She is very petite and would definately be interested in something with quality over size. Because the ring will be quite small and not very wide I am looking for a diamond that would look good proportionally.

4. lawmax
    Brilliant_Rock

by lawmax » Mar 7, 2002
    I think you are on the right track! :)

5. aislingmaire
    Rough_Rock

by aislingmaire » Mar 7, 2002
    Hi, if you want a 5mm spread you can probably go lower than half a carat and increase your quality parameters.(JMHO) Have you used the pricestats on this chart? They have helped me a lot. Happy Hunting!
    Jackie S.
    [email protected]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.