shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size for 4.0 size ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pajj

Rough_Rock

My girlfriend wears a size 4.0 ring size. She is 44 years old, 5''3" tall, medium build, with small hands.

I''m looking for suggestions/opinions on what would be an appropriate size round brilliant diamond for a 4.0 ring size? The ring will probably have one smaller accent diamond on on each side of the main diamond. Originally, I was looking at RB''s in the 2.0 to 2.5 carat range. Now. I am thinking that size diamond might be a bit too much for her smallish (slender) fingers.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I am also 5''3" and a size 3.5-3.75. I have a .78 solitaire that on my fingers, appears to be a decent size. I''ve tried on two 2+cts. with tapered bauguettes, and to be honest, they looked absolutely enormous on my hand. In my opnion, a 3 stone (esp if round sides) would look really big- almost too big, if I dare say so. I do have short fingers though, so perhaps such a ring would look more proportionate on longer fingers. Of course, I think it''s totally a personal choice, and given the chance to wear a 2 ct ring, I know I''d take it, whether it looked proportionate or not!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

I think a lot of it tends to be personal taste. What are her other rings like...are they small and dainty or are they larger? Does she like flashy or is her style more subdued? I wear a 4.75 and when I received my 1ct I thought it was a monster! Now I think it''s small lol! Now my goal is 2cts and I think that''s pushing it...but I love big chunkier rings. Once I do get my 2ct, I may get used to it and think that I need bigger. Who knows?

Anyway, take a look at the other jewelry she wears and take that into consideration. Has she tried different size and styles on? Has she commented on what style/shapes/size she would like? Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think given her age a 2 carat would not look inappropriate, even for small fingers. Perhaps if you aimed for something between 1.75 and 2?

TriciaKirk

Rough_Rock
Hi - this is only my opinion but I couldn''t go higher than 1.25 - 1.50. I am 36 yrs old, 5 feet tall, slender build and a ring size of 4 - 4.5. I have a .81 and I think it looks perfect. I have tried on much larger and just thought it looked laughable and silly - like it was fake or I was trying to play dress up. Just my thoughts for me - but see what she thinks and most importantly get her to try things on. There is nothing like trying things on to really see what looks good on someone. When we got engaged - I thought I knew exactly what I wanted (never having tried anything on for real) and it turned out that my "dream ring" looked horrible on me - too ornate and bulky. I needed to go with something much smaller and more simple for my hand. Good luck.

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on your lifestyle, as you can see there all sorts of opinions and even the part of the country you live in effects choice, for ex. New Yorkers gravitate toward bigger stones. You may need to ask her opinion. I''ve seen a pic or two on pricescope size 3 finger and a 3.00ct stone! Or if you really want to suprise her ask a friend or family member with a similar size finger (my sisters and I have the same ring size), and take her shopping with you, get an idea of how it would look on your girlfriends finger. I''m talking from experience being a size 4 myself, I''ve modeled for a friend or two.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It really is a matter of personal preference, social environment and life style. What one person with the same size finger and physical stature would find acceptable given their social means and mentality might be completely inappropriate or uncomfortable for another person of the same build to wear. Buy her a diamond that you feel will put a smile on both of your faces and you''re sure to be right
2.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock

I am 41, have a size 4.25 finger and just got a 1.85 ct regent cut which is being mounted now. I won''t get it back for three weeks but I could take a picture if you are interested. I can post the pic of the temporary mounting but it is pretty thin. I am not sure how to post photos on this site. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Check out my thread in the Show Me The Ring folder, titled "Size 5-or-so-ring?..." I''ve requested pictures of peoples'' solitaires in approx size 5 to get a feel for what size is good for my hand. But then, I got sized and it turns out my finger is a size 4!! Taking my age (22) lifestyle (very outdoorsy) and occupation (biologist) into account, along with my tiny hands and personal tastes, I would prefer something in the .25 to .6 ct range. I tried on a 2ct the other day that was HUGE - way too big for me, but your fi-to-be might like it. The only way to know for sure is to get her to try on some rings of diff ct sizes.

And IMO, if you''re going for a 3 stone or pave-type setting with lots of sidestones, I''d go for a smaller center stone (but look at Jennifer5973''s gorgeous ring (her avatar) for an example of large center with sidestones). You can get a huge bling-bling effect with a smaller center with side diamonds than you could with a larger center with no sides. Case-in-point, I saw a tiny 3 stone ring that was about .25 center with .1 sides (.45tcw), that was more substantial in sparkle and overall presence than the .5 ct solitaire.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 11:30
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Hest88
I think given her age a 2 carat would not look inappropriate, even for small fingers. Perhaps if you aimed for something between 1.75 and 2?

I agree with Hest. I think 1.75 (or even 1.5) to 2 cts would be perfect.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

I wear a size 6 ring. I tried on a 2 carat. My husband thought it was *WAY* too big. Then I tried on a 1.5 carat, my husband thought it was a *little* too big. I tried on a 1 carat. My husband thought it was *perfect*. The verdict, since $$ wasn''t a factor, I went with the 1.5 carat stone since it seemed *just big enough* for me. I could have gotten the 2 carat, but I decided against it. It was a little large, and I can see myself banging it on something...and my finger size is 2 sizes larger than your fiancee-to-be''s.

kaya

Rough_Rock

I''m 5 feet, 31 y/o and I wear a 4 ring size or between 3.75-4 (but the ring is 4) and my stone is 1.01 and I think its a good size given the size of my hands. You can do a search for the picture of the ring I''m wearing, it has a lace set of diamonds on each side of 7 (2 on each side 3 on top smaller stones) in clusters of 6, similar to a pave I guess.

IaMMoYY

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 12:19:26 PM
Author: cushioncut

Date: 11/12/2004 11:30
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Hest88

I agree with Hest. I think 1.75 (or even 1.5) to 2 cts would be perfect.

Totally agree with Hest and Cushioncut.

Nick Toseland

Rough_Rock
Take a look at ringhunt.com, someone off here has just desugned a program that gives you a visual representation of your ring. i personally think a stone between 1.5 and 2 carats would look nice, over that and the diamond dwarfs the ring and finger

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have a 4.5 ring size, and would not go bigger than 2 cts in a round. You could go up to 2.5 cts, but I think that size tends to look tacky, especially on people with small hands. I would therefore probably stick to the 1.5-2.0 ct range. Just my $0.02!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

My ring & middle fingers are 3.25 & 4.25, and you can see some shots of my 1.13ct and 1.24ct ring on either finger in this thread, as well as a 1.5ct Interlap on the ring finger:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-babies.21252/

I've tried on a 2ct on my middle finger before and the proportions are about the same as the 1.5ct on my ring finger. Hope this helps!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For a size 4 and a RB, I think 1.5ct (7.4mm) to 2.0ct (8.2mm) would be nice. A 3.0ct (9.4mm) would be a tad too wide in my opinion.

I wear a size 3.75 but have a 3.01 ct pear (7.93mm x 12.99mm) which works well for me because the stone''s width is less than what it would be for a 2.0 ct RB and with a thin finger like mine, the problem is in the width not the length.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results