shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size / carat weight / diameter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beavis123

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for about a 2.33 carat diamond. All of the stones have "ideal cuts". However, some stones have a much larger diameter than others, despite similar cut and carats.

My thought is to buy the stone with the larger diameter, as it will look bigger. Is there a flaw to this thinking, given that the cut on all the stones I'm looking at is "ideal"?

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who said they were ideal cut?
What is ideal cut?
There are at least 20 definitions, and some a lax enough to drive a truck through :(
Can you get the proportions - any genuine ideal cut will have crown , pavilion ANGLES and table size, girdle etc

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Cut Nut....

Your concept of a larger diameter being better, within truly ideal cut parameters, is a generally logical and sound way to make a decision. You wouldn't want an over deep stone with less diameter on purpose. However, you can go too far in this too. Once past the real Ideal area, a diamond with too much diameter and not enough depth is hardly anyone's picture of ideal make.

If you utilize Cut Nut's Ideal-Scope you will be able to find a maximum diameter, fully brilliant "ideal" cut of the 21st century variety...You would find similar using my AGA Cut Class standards, too. The usual range of ideal cuts can be readily identified by their cutting parameters. The newest ideal cuts can be identified with the HCA and Ideal-Scope.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results