shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size .90 - v - 1.00???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueskiesalways

Rough_Rock
Will we be able to tell much difference in the size of a .90 carat Emerald cut Diamond and a 1.00 carat?
My b/f and I selected the .90 for the better cut and clarity..now I''m wondering if it was worth it????...any opinions?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I don't know as I only know rounds. Size "appearance" has quite a bit to do w/ cut.

But, in general diamonds a the 1c mark have a premium. They have the romantic notion of truley being a carat. That said, more than likely a 1c stone may appear larger (again, depends on the cut). One must decide whether the premium (or in your case the better clarity & cut)is worth the sacrifice.

Have you compared side by side? All in all the .90 +/- size represents a better value.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/31/2004 3:30:59 PM blueskiesalways wrote:

Will we be able to tell much difference in the size of a .90 carat Emerald cut Diamond and a 1.00 carat? [...] I'm wondering if it was worth it????----------------

In my view, cut, color, clarity and size are what matters, the weight is important only as a factor in the selection of these. The acceptable depth for ECs varies so much, that this parameter alone would easily compensate for a 0.1ct difference in weigt - so the carat/or no carat issue may not be at all relevant for what th stone looks like. Such a small weight increment surely is not relevant for size. Better color, clarity and cut allowed by saving on that "price jump" (as explained in the previous post) surely matter. Sure it was worth it, as always is.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, the dimensions determine the visual appearance, so that 1 carat could have looked bigger or it couldn't have. If you're happy with your stone that's all that matters.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I went with a better cut, color and clarity 0.90 ct stone and I would say that overall I am happy. I have a D VS2 Lazare Kaplan ideal cut round brilliant. It really shines and with its cut it looks bigger because of all the light that it throws off.

That is not to say that I occasionally don't wish I had a bigger stone but I never really wish for those extra 10 points. Instead, if I had my wish I would have a 1.25 ct diamond. In my opinion, the extra 10 points of a 1 ct stone is visually minimal and not worth the added cost of going over the magic 1 ct mark.

Just my 2 cents.

roshita

Rough_Rock
Caratage is a weight definition, not size. A deeply cut 1 carat diamond may look smaller physically than a nicely cut 0.90 ct. You did not provide the particulars of the diamonds you were choosing, but if the one you chose was a better cut and looked better, you made the right decision! A nice, beautiful, smaller stone would be a better choice any day of the week over a large, ugly one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results