shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond shopping in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
In the next month or 2, I plan to go to NYC to try and find the perfect 3 carat cushion. I have seen several where I live, and know that there is a lot of variation in terms of shape and cut. No store which I have visited locally has more then 2 to show me, and often what they have in stock does not meet my criteria, in terms of size or color. I think I am better off going to NYC where I can see a variety of stones, as oposed ot having a local jeweler bring in 1 or 2 stones for me to look at. When I go to NYC, I plan to meet with Mark T. at engagement rings direct. I am hoping that he will have 3-5 stones to show me. Here''s my question- should I try to schedule another appt with another jeweler in NYC the same day, to compare what they each have, or will they both be competing to get the "same" stones from their (wholesale) sources? How many stones should I hope/expect a jeweler to have to show me? I can be very specific in terms of what I want- a rectangular shaped stone, H/I, VS2/SI1, no culet, minimal bowtie. I live in Maryland, so I can take a "day trip" to NY, but there has to be enough for me to choose from to make the trip worthwhile. Thoughts? Thanks- Joy

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chances are that all of the vendors will be drawing from the same 'pool' to bring in diamonds for you to look at, so it would be futile to make several appointments with people all vying for the same stones.
you should have great luck with mark. just make sure to let him know how many you want to see.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Although I''m sympathetic to the desire to go to NYC, where the action and expertise is...James Allen is local, has seen a lot of diamonds in his time and the search I just ran on his site brought up over 100 options to page through, all defined pretty well...ranging in cost from $10 - $90 K. They not be in house, but you could certainly take a quick(er) drive up, could consult with him on which ones to bring in, and perhaps at least begin your search while closer to home. Jim''s just outside of Frederick, and I purchased our replacement engagement ring from him 2 1/2 years ago. I have to think that for a diamond of that size, he''d see you.

Just a thought...

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I was just going to mention James Allen. Next time I''m in Frederick, I''m going to visit. Jim has become my hero in a very short period of time! I can''t say enough about him and his staff.
1.gif
36.gif

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice- I will definitely contact James Allen. There are a few stones listed on the website that meet my criteria. Is there a particular person whom I should ask for? Joy

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I think Jim''s in NYC until Monday, but I think he''ll be back in town after that..? You can always call and find out. Otherwise Jennifer is wonderful, so are Josh and Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results