shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond/Setting Upgrade for 20th Anniversary

athomas61

Rough_Rock
I've been trying to dive into diamond shopping for the first time in 2 decades and am a bit overwhelmed. I took my wife to a local Jewelry shop to ensure she got what she wanted. From there she likes for it to be a surprise and research is my game. Our 20th Anniversary is next year in February, but as a surprise I wanted to see if I could get it for Mother's Day or her birthday in June instead and really make it special.

We need to replace both the wedding band and engagement ring/diamond to refresh the whole set.

1) For settings she liked the pave style. She liked the look of 1/3 tcw on the engagement band (180 degrees of diamond) and a matching wedding band with 1/2 tcw. She felt like this gave the best look while being small enough to leave the focus on the main diamond. Do you have any feedback on these settings I should look into?

2) Why do sites like Ritani and Whiteflash seem so much less expensive than others? I hear if it's too good to be true a lot in diamond shopping so I figured I'd ask.

3) The big question...

Old engagement ring's main diamond is 0.95 carat, H Color, SI1 Clarity, and Very Good Cut so the new one should blow it away!! :)

All rings will be platinum if that matters for color.

She wanted at least 2 carats and felt like 3 carats seemed too big and even 2.5 carat seemed a bit large so I'm shopping in the 2.2-2.45 range. I have been looking at F-G Color, VS1-VS2 Clarity, and Excellent-Ideal Cut. I can be easily moved off any of those I'd just been reading and researching and kept hearing those were sweet spots for price to quality.

Where I'm getting stuck is the magic you guys do!! How do I go ahead and narrow down and pick it? I obviously want to get this right since it's such a big purchase.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of these options?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a lab or earth mined diamond? You posted in the lab forum, so if you are looking for earth mined, ask the mods to move this thread to Rocky Talk.

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Lab Grown, Sorry I didn't specify. And I will look at the above options when I get home thank you!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab Grown, Sorry I didn't specify. And I will look at the above options when I get home thank you!!

Oops, I saw Whiteflash and immediately thought natural.

Here are some lab options.

athomas61

Rough_Rock
I love the Harmony Wedding set from Whiteflash.

I couldn't find any settings at Ritani I felt like matched her needs.

Should I look at getting them from different locations or are there good lab diamond options at Whiteflash I could pair with this ?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Harmony Wedding set from Whiteflash.

I couldn't find any settings at Ritani I felt like matched her needs.

Should I look at getting them from different locations or are there good lab diamond options at Whiteflash I could pair with this ?

How about this one?

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Ok I was able to narrow down to a setting she liked first. She was really in love with...

The only question she had was most of these have a ring around the prongs that obscure a lot of the main diamond from the sides. Is this pretty typical or will it be noticeable and we should look at something else?

I'm looking for a really strong main diamond to go with this setting. I checked out the ones above, but a little confused at what I'm looking at as far as best choice

After further asking questions I would like just under 2.5 carat or just over 2.4-2.7 range. I would like to spend $3,500 if possible but have wiggle room if something that's truly fantastic is above that range.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok I was able to narrow down to a setting she liked first. She was really in love with...

The only question she had was most of these have a ring around the prongs that obscure a lot of the main diamond from the sides. Is this pretty typical or will it be noticeable and we should look at something else?

I'm looking for a really strong main diamond to go with this setting. I checked out the ones above, but a little confused at what I'm looking at as far as best choice

After further asking questions I would like just under 2.5 carat or just over 2.4-2.7 range. I would like to spend $3,500 if possible but have wiggle room if something that's truly fantastic is above that range.

Hello and welcome to PriceScope, athomas61!
Is your budget of $3,500 for just the loose diamond?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This setting seems to be similar without the basket.

Take a look at this stone.

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Yes $3,500 is just the center stone.

For the basket I’d like to buy all from one place if possible, is it a negative to have a basket like that or not really? It’s a little hard to tell from pic only.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes $3,500 is just the center stone.

For the basket I’d like to buy all from one place if possible, is it a negative to have a basket like that or not really? It’s a little hard to tell from pic only.

The basket isn't a negative and can add security for the diamond. If you like a diamond, I suggest putting it on hold so it doesn't get sniped.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a couple of possibilities over at LooseGrownDiamond:

You'll need to ask for a video on this to screen for body color/nuance and fine cut precision:

GIA graded, no blue nuance:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Anything a bit larger at ritani, that is very close to my goal.

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Kim that one is near perfect to what I was looking for I just had a little more in my budget, but if that's the one I'm happy and trust you!!

athomas61

Rough_Rock
Ok picking it up, I'll let you know how she likes it, thanks all so excited!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok picking it up, I'll let you know how she likes it, thanks all so excited!!

Wonderful, can't wait to hear what you and your wife think of it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results