shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Setting - Solitaire

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I’ve picked my diamond and feel happy with that but I can’t quite decide on the setting.
I’ve had a local jeweller design some settings and would appreciate anyone’s opinions on them.

Thank you

Attachments

• FCDCFB70-BC18-4F4B-836A-D16D9E415F5B.jpeg
    FCDCFB70-BC18-4F4B-836A-D16D9E415F5B.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 078F4D9D-5B07-4F69-9885-AE1B1D71E990.jpeg
    078F4D9D-5B07-4F69-9885-AE1B1D71E990.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 7A2C3AC8-5DE8-4CC6-976C-02E2BBA0331F.jpeg
    7A2C3AC8-5DE8-4CC6-976C-02E2BBA0331F.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 57

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the second or third. The first one sits way too high for my taste. Can't wait to see what you decide!

amoline

Shiny_Rock
They're all differently styled, no doubt. I can't say I'm in total love or dislike on any of them - what kinds of styles do you like? That said, I have always liked the simple look, so I think the first is my favorite

Also consider your lifestyle - if you need to, for example, wear gloves for work it may impact how you want your stone to sit.

Edit: ha, just goes to show everyone likes different things, as @Wewechew and I are on complete opposites!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually prefer low set rings but really like #1 with the collar detail. #3 is neat the way the head is integrated into the band. #2 i don't love, the band kind of swallows the basket in the rendering.

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
Just to throw another design in there

Attachments

• 7657075E-B968-4711-8AE1-D66ECE1B0FBD.jpeg
    7657075E-B968-4711-8AE1-D66ECE1B0FBD.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 45

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second setting the best by far. It looks the most integrated and purposeful and also the most "custom" of them. The first is set pretty high up, the third and fourth just look super basic and boring. The second is simple and classic-looking while still being a little more interesting.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW I prefer the 2nd as well.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not wild about any of them.

For the first, a collar can be nice, but I think it needs to either have more shape (and know you will have issued rubbing a wedding band) or raise it to the bars.

1571443209898.png
1571443295856.png

The second one has potential, but it would be interesting from the side and more wearable. In a two-tone, the prongs and lower bars would be the white metal.

1571443035113.png
You can buy this form James Allen. https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-twisted-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-64336

1571443507933.png

This is a more standard "peg head"

1571443082265.png

This ring shows a version with flow from the shank to the prongs.

This ring from James Allen, which you can buy and have your jeweller set a stone, is a great variation with 6-prongs (best for 1 carat or over), also, have the shank narrow at the top like this make your diamond look bigger.

The last one you posted will make it very difficult to pair with a wedding band.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like 3 & 4 of the options you’ve presented.

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for everyone’s opinions so far - very interesting !!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of MRBs or claw/prong or high settings, however if I were to choose a setting out the 3 in the OP, then it would be the third one as I am not keen on knife edge setting.

All personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why have your local jeweler design when there are so many lovely stock ones out there? Stuller and Adwar have gorgeous settings. If you wanted to spend a little more for custom, there's always CVB and others... Vatche is stock, but can be customized a little as well.

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
I live in Edinburgh - so I like the idea of using a local jeweller here in Scotland. The Assay office which stamps all precious metals for Scotland is about a 2 minute walk from my flat. It’s nice that it’s made here in Scotland.
I tried to get the ring made with Scottish gold but that’s proved too difficult.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The settings the jeweler is showing you are made of stock pieces. They are not custom, other than you choose a head from column A and a shank from column B. There is nothing wrong with that, but its not really "designed" or unique to scotland, which seems important to you.

Have you seen Maevona's settings? Her designs are very much inspired by Scotland and you can buy them locally. She's scottish-american. Her designs have wonderful and unique details.

1571508070006.png

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
The settings the jeweler is showing you are made of stock pieces. They are not custom, other than you choose a head from column A and a shank from column B. There is nothing wrong with that, but its not really "designed" or unique to scotland, which seems important to you.

Have you seen Maevona's settings? Her designs are very much inspired by Scotland and you can buy them locally. She's scottish-american. Her designs have wonderful and unique details.

1571508070006.png

Thanks - I had a good look on her website.
It’s more having it made at a jeweller here in Edinburgh that I wanted rather than a Scottish design as such. Maevona’s designs , while lovely , all seem a little complicated and i know my partner would prefer something simpler and more classic looking.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s more having it made at a jeweller here in Edinburgh that I wanted rather than a Scottish design as such. Maevona’s designs , while lovely , all seem a little complicated and i know my partner would prefer something simpler and more classic looking.
Has she given you any ideas or inspirations she likes? Because if you are looking for classic, something modeled after the Tiffany solitaire would be great. I'd also stick with white metal unless she asked for yellow gold or mixed metals. That said, any of the rings in my earlier post -- from James Allen or others -- can be used as an inspiration for this ring. I think the models used by the local jeweler are a start, but they are not really "there" yet.

Tiffany solitaire
1571567283177.png
1571567147956.png

1571567171421.png

Attachments

• 1571567160347.png
    1571567160347.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 30

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
Yes I know she definitely wants yellow gold for the band. The platinum claws were more guidance from her sister who said she liked them more.
I felt this one looked more like the Tiffany setting.

Attachments

• FA2698F6-88F4-43AF-A0DA-19665FBD34FB.jpeg
    FA2698F6-88F4-43AF-A0DA-19665FBD34FB.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 45

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I know she definitely wants yellow gold for the band. The platinum claws were more guidance from her sister who said she liked them more.
I felt this one looked more like the Tiffany setting.
It has the same basic shape, but its not quite there. Here is what I would say back to the designer to get it closer to the classic Tiffany IF that is the design you think she will like the most. The other one that is classic is Cartier's which for a stone under 1 carat looks great as it narrows at the top and has 3-prongs vs. 6 (which can overwhelm a smaller stone when the prongs are not perfectly done...you'll see below this is why I note so much about them).

All cartier showing a range of center stone sizes
https://weldons.ie/shop/cartier-solitaire-ring/ .

If you like the TIffany best, and it is a classic beloved by many for a reason...I'd ask for these changes in the CAD/rendering and look at another version. The CAD as given to you will result in something that is chunky and unrefined IMHO. So, we are here to help you communicate what needs to change with the designer! It can take a few backs and forths until you get it right. Their job is to make your vision work. The CAD is what you will get unless you get it right. There are some things that won't show until the ring is made (like the exact shape of the prong tip), but this ring needs more work until you can "trust" in the finishing to make it right.

I've added a red line to show the point where the shank meets the head on both the CAD and IRL.

1) Pic #1 and Pic #2 BLUE ARROW - can you see that the shank of the Tiffany is solid beneath the head with a built-in donut? The donut is cast with the shank -- not the head metal. So, in two-tone, that would all be yellow gold. The shank and donut would be yellow gold. The donut should not be white as in the CAD.

2) Pic #2 BLACK ARROW - the height of the shoulder is too high on the CAD. It needs to be less tall (off the finger) to allow more of the head to show. Can you see how the shoulder should not be as high as the bottom of the prong V?

3) Pic #2 AQUA ARROW - the V cut-out in the prongs needs to be wider, retaining a distinct V that mirrors the shape of the prongs (upside down) and extend further up the prongs. This V is much taller in the Tiffany.

4) The prong tips are all wrong. The CAD shows a simple flat prong on the tip. The Tiffany has and outside curve that is rounded along the full prong length to the tip and a more rounded tip. (SEE LAST TWO PHOTOS)

Pic #1
1571575003190.png

PIC #2
1571574450419.png

Prong shape and tips

1571574510352.png

1571574592076.png

Here's a great replica. You can really see the rounded shape of the prongs (outer profile furthest from the diamond) and the lovely prong tips.

1571574661949.png

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany in a range of sizes (look at the diamond size)

Gorgeous Tiffany setting showing a diamond under 1 carat and great images to make sure the CAD and the final ring match. So lovely.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I only like one (most) and three. Two seems like a girl with hunched shoulders. I wear a ring like one and it is comfortable for me. I love my diamond set way up high so I can look at it easily. If it gets too banged up, I'll have to reset it (oh darn).

My grown daughter dislikes my "ring-pop" look and wants cathedral sides. She would probably pick two.

This clearly does not have one answer but depends on the taste of the lady.

Can you have her try on some styles and see what type of solitaire setting she likes?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@rockysalamander

What a helpful post. Tiffany really does create the "perfect" solitaire.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 but set higher

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @AprilBaby , number 2 but set a tad higher.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since your jeweler is ordering stock settings, have you looked at Stuller or Adwar?? Here are some of my favorites from Adwar... you can get them in whatever metal you like. Most all of these are shown with 1 ct centers and matching band, but of course you don't have to get that - get whatever band you wish.

Click on the links to see other photos.

This is my all-time favorite, as it is a lovely repro of the classic Tiffany solitaire.
26303L.jpg

28059L.jpg

27160L.jpg

28211L.jpg

26000L.jpg

Last edited:

Rmichie

Rough_Rock
May I ask how you know that the jeweller is ordering stock settings? It says on their website that they “ uses the “lost wax” technique, meaning his jewellery begins life as a hand or machine carved wax model. This model is then used to make a mould for the chosen precious metal.”
I assumed this meant they actually manufactured the ring themselves as they have a workshop to cast and make all their own jewellery.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask how you know that the jeweller is ordering stock settings? It says on their website that they “ uses the “lost wax” technique, meaning his jewellery begins life as a hand or machine carved wax model. This model is then used to make a mould for the chosen precious metal.”
I assumed this meant they actually manufactured the ring themselves as they have a workshop to cast and make all their own jewellery.

It may not be a stock setting but it could be a mix of preset components in their cad software

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results