shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond/Setting Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arobertson

Rough_Rock
I''m in the typical dilemma of choosing between a cheap setting/expensive diamond and nicer setting/cheaper diamond due to a budget of $2500. Here are my options:

A Dimend Scaasi setting: http://www.dimendscaasi.com/build/step1.asp?prodID=1A3
with this diamond: http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?stockNum=12394418

Or this simple WF setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/6-Prong-tiffany-style-Diamond-Solitaire_993.htm#
with this AMAZING diamond: http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1848257.htm

I''m leaning towards option 2 as that WF diamond looks too good to pass up.

Opinions?

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Thanks! So I can search by Infinity and have Dimend Scaasi call it in? I''ve picked out several other diamonds and Shannon at Diment Scaasi is calling them in, but they''re all in India and I feel uncomfortable buying a diamond I can''t see. The aforementioned WF diamond was inspected by Sheerah at WF and confirmed that it''s eyeclean.

But this diamond you mentioned looks super nice... is Infinity known for quality diamonds?

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Also, does the fact that the diamond at Infinity is an "I" cause any reason for concern or no? I know that the cut of the diamond is ultimately more important than color, but I had been limiting my search to F-H.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I color should not be a problem. Have you check out ideal cut diamonds graded by AGS/GIA in real life?

Cut by Infinity is branded cut, only heart & arrow diamonds, similar to ACA. Yes, you can get cut by infinity diamonds thru Dimend Scaasi.

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''ve checked out ideal-cut diamonds a few times in person. This seems like a good deal and a worthy compromise between the two options in my original dilemma. Are there any other vendors you''re aware of that Dimend Scaasi buys from and if so, where I can do a search for them? Unfortunately, unless the diamond is in-house, Dimmend Scaasi doesn''t carry the certificates so it''s tough to make decisions without having them follow up with the vendor.

Nonetheless, this is an awesome possibility and it scored really well on the cut adviser.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut by Infinity Diamonds are all AGS graded and have their reports online. AGS0 cut grade usually scores quite well on the HCA.

You can check out their website for other vendors. Highperformance is one of the vendors.

EDT:
Sorry, misunderstood your question. No, I don't know any other diamond cutters that DS buys from.

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. So looking at my situation, do you think this would be my best bet (between the DS setting and cheaper but larger carat diamond, cheap WF setting and super nice AGS diamond, and original DS setting and nicer AGS but slightly smaller carat diamond via Infinity)?

I really love the DS setting and how it tapers in towards the head. It''s very elegant and different from other Tiffany-style settings.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My opinion is to get a nicer diamond and less expensive setting because you can replace the setting easier than the stone. The stone from WF is very nice if your budget can be stretched. The ACA's from WF are all winners.

Here is another option from High Performance http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=342. High Performance Diamonds is what Winfield's used to be and many people have bought their Infinity stones from them, myself included. I had my stone sent to WF to be set. Infinity stones are gorgeous, even in lower colors and clarity. Since the ones they show on the website are in stock Wink can take a look at them and tell you where the inclusions are located.

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Since the two Infinity diamonds I like are on Wink''s site (High Performance), will Dimend Scaasi be able to buy directly from them or is that something they won''t be able to do?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink is AWESOME to work with! Why not buy directly from him?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've bought from Wink, he is awesome. The only reason I can think that you wouldn't buy from him is the because the setting you want is at Dimend Scaasi, and unless they've changed their policies they won't set outside stones in their settings. In which case... trust me, we can most likely find you a similar setting. But since you like WF settings, I don't think that's the issue.
33.gif

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I definitely like the 1A3 setting from Dimend Scaasi. I''ve been looking for the perfect solitaire setting for me and it fits the bill in every way:

- It''s thin 2.25mm
- The head is very Tiffany-like
- The shoulder tapers inwards towards the head
- There''s a really slight and soft knife instead of the typical hard edge
- It''s affordable

However, will Dimend Scaasi be able to purchase the diamond directly from Wink or will I likely be out of luck? I know Dimend Scaasi won''t sell just the setting nor will they set their setting with a diamond that''s not theirs.

I''m not a huge fan of the WF setting I mentioned. I just really like the WF diamond I mentioned and because it''s a bit out of my price range, the cheaper WF setting was all I could afford.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s see what we can do about that setting for you.
2.gif

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Do you work with Wink? Can I get a link to your website?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO, I do NOT work for Wink. Just a happy customer. Infinity are known as some of the best diamonds out there in terms of cut and light performance. Also Infinity stones have a nice promotion going right now where they will insure your diamond for you for a year (any little bit helps right).

Wink's site (his old one) is... strange and his new one doesn't list settings. I don't know what Wink's relationship with Dimend Scaasi with regard to Infinty stones is so I can't comment on whether DS can get Wink's stone. You can certainly ask DS if they can get it in for you.

As for the setting. There are a lot of Tiffany style settings out there, some really nice ones, Wink's settings on his site don't reflect what he has or can get in or what he has access to (I speak as someone who has inquired about different setting from him), but I would be surprised if he can't get something comparable in for you, so that's always an option. I would not hesitate to call Wink and give him your budget and tell him you want a Tiffany style that meets your requirements and see if he can get it for you.

I did find a couple of Tiffany style settings, but most of them are ones Wink (or any jeweler, including a local jeweler, which might be a nice option for you) can get in for you... and the jewelers know the quality and specific of settings they work with better than I would know, or be able to tell from a picture.

I *think*... don't quote me, but I think Wink has an 80% buy back on Infinity stones (and I assume a separate upgrade policy), DS probably have something similar... so that's also something to ask about from both vendors as well.
35.gif

I am not a vendor, associated with a vendor, or even CLOSE to being in the trade. Just a Pricescoper.

arobertson

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Thanks for the info... I''ll do something tomorrow morning.

Oddly enough, I was mall shopping with my girlfriend and she LOVED this ring:

http://www.helzberg.com/nav/i/category/engagement+%26+wedding/engagement+rings/3-4ct+diamond+engagement+ring%2C+igi+graded+1666904/r/collections/radiant+star/n/4294967114.do?sortby=ourPicks

The setting looks extremely bland (nothing more than a generic $180 setting at DS, $250 generic setting at WF, etc.), doesn''t it? I guess it''s a good thing for me as she''s less picky about the setting and allows me to focus more on the diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. That's not anything particularly difficult to get close to, and frankly that one overpowers the stone in that pic. Seems like she likes six prong solitares. There's a lot of those-- some are better and show casing the diamond than others I would try to get one with slimmer prongs and make sure that the prongs don't overhelm the stone.

What city are you located in? A local jeweler might be a nice option for you, and you can post to see if anyone recommends one to you... if you buy the diamond you like best... you can get the setting locally, get the stone set there, get any prong checks, cleanings, etc through them. It's always good to build a relationship with a good local jeweler, you can't go sending your ring around the country for any little thing. Local independant (not chain) jewelers are usually best.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:59:45 PM
Author: swingirl
My opinion is to get a nicer diamond and less expensive setting because you can replace the setting easier than the stone.

i raise all 4 limbs in agreement with this statement by Swingirl..

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually the stone is listed as being owned by Curtis Miller on crafted by Infinity website. And Highperformance diamond also link stones that are own by DS, so I am quite sure Wink do not have your diamond on hand and DS should be able to call in that diamond you are interested in.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:53:30 AM
Author: Gypsy
NO, I do NOT work for Wink. Just a happy customer. Infinity are known as some of the best diamonds out there in terms of cut and light performance. Also Infinity stones have a nice promotion going right now where they will insure your diamond for you for a year (any little bit helps right).

Wink's site (his old one) is... strange and his new one doesn't list settings. I don't know what Wink's relationship with Dimend Scaasi with regard to Infinty stones is so I can't comment on whether DS can get Wink's stone. You can certainly ask DS if they can get it in for you.

As for the setting. There are a lot of Tiffany style settings out there, some really nice ones, Wink's settings on his site don't reflect what he has or can get in or what he has access to (I speak as someone who has inquired about different setting from him), but I would be surprised if he can't get something comparable in for you, so that's always an option. I would not hesitate to call Wink and give him your budget and tell him you want a Tiffany style that meets your requirements and see if he can get it for you.

I did find a couple of Tiffany style settings, but most of them are ones Wink (or any jeweler, including a local jeweler, which might be a nice option for you) can get in for you... and the jewelers know the quality and specific of settings they work with better than I would know, or be able to tell from a picture.

I *think*... don't quote me, but I think Wink has an 80% buy back on Infinity stones (and I assume a separate upgrade policy), DS probably have something similar... so that's also something to ask about from both vendors as well.
35.gif

I am not a vendor, associated with a vendor, or even CLOSE to being in the trade. Just a Pricescoper.
I believe ( please correct me if I am wrong Paul or John) that any Infinity diamond can be purchased from any Infinity dealer in the United States, so if the Infinity diamond you are interested in is in another location, it can be sent to any other Infinity vendor you wish to use.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wink''s site (his old one) is... strange and his new one doesn''t list settings. I don''t know what Wink''s relationship with Dimend Scaasi with regard to Infinty stones is so I can''t comment on whether DS can get Wink''s stone. You can certainly ask DS if they can get it in for you.
No problem. Infinity is a boutique production so our dealers share all available inventory. If the Infinity you want is in one city but you''re near another dealer it is sent to your location overnight (if the diamond is in London, Antwerp, Dublin or Tampere it will be a couple of days to the US). Our family of dealers has great respect for one another, and all honor established pricing policies.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 8:44:03 AM
Author: John Pollard

Wink''s site (his old one) is... strange and his new one doesn''t list settings. I don''t know what Wink''s relationship with Dimend Scaasi with regard to Infinty stones is so I can''t comment on whether DS can get Wink''s stone. You can certainly ask DS if they can get it in for you.
No problem. Infinity is a boutique production so our dealers share all available inventory. If the Infinity you want is in one city but you''re near another dealer it is sent to your location overnight (if the diamond is in London, Antwerp, Dublin or Tampere it will be a couple of days to the US). Our family of dealers has great respect for one another, and all honor established pricing policies.
Thanks for the clarification Sir!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/4/2009 8:46:55 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks for the clarification Sir!
Sure thing. After I posted I saw that you and Stone-Cold had also replied. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results