shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Road series on Discovery Times

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband saw a preview of this series that''s coming on the Discovery Times channel this week. It''s called "Diamond Road" and you can read about the series here: http://times.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=141.14339.112572.29396.x
I''ve got my DVR set up to record all 3!

(1) Diamond Road - The Dream

Learn about the history of the diamond industry, including the clever marketing which has made diamonds a part of our lives. We also meet a diverse cast of characters who all have a diamond dream.

(2) Diamond Road - The Stone That Divides

Travel along the diamond pipeline to South Africa, the birthplace of the modern-day diamond. Then it''s on to New York, one of the centers of the diamond auctioning world. Finally, off to Sierra Leone, home to the dark side of the diamond trade.

(3) Diamond Road - The Arrival

Manoj is a 13-year-old polisher from India who works the diamond factories of Surat. Arjav is poised to take over one of the largest diamond manufacturing companies in the world. In Sierra Leone, Martin''s dream of fair trade diamonds faces more obstacles.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for sharing the info, sounds interesting!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is Discovery Times a separate channel from the regular Discovery Channel?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info Katiedid. I just set our DVR too.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are several Discovery channels--Discovery, Discovery Health, Discovery Times...

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Katedid,

I just saw the show with my husband last night. It is ironic that we just saw Blood Diamond a few days ago and just stumbled upon this show while looking for something to watch last night (I did not see your post until today as I searched for a thread about this show). I kiddingly told my husband that maybe he should not watch this documentary as it may change his mind about getting me my upgrade :).

After the show, I asked him if he has now changed his mind about getting me an upgrade ( he could care less about diamonds, he thinks it''s all marketing hype created by De Beers but nonetheless bought me a diamond when we got married). Well, he turned the table on me and asked "the question is, do you think you still want your upgrade".

I am curious to know from people who''s watched the show what everyone''s thoughts are.

Thanks.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rocks, I know what you mean -- seeing where diamonds come from, how hard the people there have to work to find them, and how little they''re paid for their work, while the big companies exploit them -- it''s so sad. I am very glad I just bought from WF. In doing my research, I learned about their conflict-free diamond policy. You can read about it here: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/faq.aspx?articleid=359&zoneid=6 It really has much more meaning to me now, after watching that series.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the link, Katedid. I knew WF claims to carry conflict-free diamonds that''s why I purchased my studs from them. It is nice to know that certain acts have been put in place to help ensure dealing with conflict-free diamonds. But, as WF has pointed out on theri website "the industry works hard to ensure “conflict-free” provenance for the end-user and relies on that label to put consumers’ minds at ease. For many consumers that is enough. The flaw is that it overlooks the real issue, which is the people who still suffer in Africa.

Now, I can''t stop thinking how I can enjoy my diamonds knowing that people who work in diamond mines in Africa are subjected to almost slave labor, barely able to provide for themselves and their families. While here I am looking at my shiny rocks in the comfort of my home.

I believe all diamond dealers should support the fair trade act that Rappaport is suggesting. I know it''s easier said than done. I know that business is business. But, in an ideal world, all diamond dealers will demand that the Africans pay/compensate/ treat their workers fairly or they won''t do business with them at all.

Just my 2 cents.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree. The whole time I watched that show, I felt like those workers were low-paid slaves, plain and simple. There is no sugar-coating that fact. And I felt the same way--like a clueless, spoiled, hypocritical American, sitting there gazing at my nice shiny stones. I almost felt embarrassed to be coveting a product that has so much bad history behind it. One of the guys on the show said he wished they had never found diamonds there. That''s quite a testament to how negatively he feels about them--since for many people, that''s the only way they make money to feed and clothe their families.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Definitely. That show has really impacted on how I feel about the whole diamond industry. As you said, that man who said he wish they''ve never found diamonds there was a powerful statement. I sincerely hope that change is forthcoming to those workers.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
There is one more point I''d like to make in light of all this. If we think about it, there are many other countries that exploit their workers. The profit margin is probably not as large as the diamond industry, but the fact remains that these workers are underpaid and have poor working conditions. Just think of China''s factory workers and child workers. They have no labor laws to protect them like we do in the US. Some people''s monthly salary are less than what someone in the US makes in a day. We still buy the products made my these factories, right? I believe we all do as everything seems to be made in China. The difference is the diamond issue made such a major impact because of its bloody history. And like WF says on their website.... the people of Africa stiil suffers. I really hope that a fair trade agreement can be met.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 8:29:23 PM
Author: rocks&purses
There is one more point I''d like to make in light of all this. If we think about it, there are many other countries that exploit their workers. The profit margin is probably not as large as the diamond industry, but the fact remains that these workers are underpaid and have poor working conditions. Just think of China''s factory workers and child workers. They have no labor laws to protect them like we do in the US. Some people''s monthly salary are less than what someone in the US makes in a day. We still buy the products made my these factories, right? I believe we all do as everything seems to be made in China. The difference is the diamond issue made such a major impact because of its bloody history. And like WF says on their website.... the people of Africa stiil suffers. I really hope that a fair trade agreement can be met.
Its a huge problem that has been here forever and will continue forever.
The 10 year olds that made your tennis shoes are just as bad off.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Agreed. It''s just terribly sad that something as beautiful as a diamond which symbolizes so many things grand in our part of the world, symbolizes all negativity in their world.

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
I think the guy that said he wished diamonds were never discovered there was from Sierra Leone, ''home'' of the blood diamonds. I can understand his statement. Now my opinions may not be politically correct here but... "like" a slave and actually being a slave are two very different things. We have it very good here in the US, in many other parts of the world people struggle to survive. Those who work in mines, or making cheap shoes in Asia etc may have a hard life but they are doing what they need to do to feed their families. No one ever said life would be easy, not even in America. We Americans can be arrogant at times and we can say people shouldn''t work in those conditions, but the alternative may well be no work at all. No work no money, no money no food, no food... well you get the idea. So if the whole world decided to buy all their diamonds from Canada and Russia would Africa be better off? What would they replace that lost business and income with? Perhaps they would take up shoe production? I know that sounds cold but who said the world was a nice wonderful place? I don''t know where the diamond I bought came from, but I don''t feel at all guilty about it. My purchase and all your purchases paid some small amount of the income of the store I bought it from, the lab that graded it, the place that cut it, the people that sold it, the people who mined it, and yes those that own the mines. Is it perfect? No, but what is? The ''little guy'' will always get stepped on to some degree, and there will always be a ''little man.'' We all shop hard and take pride in getting a ''good deal'' on a stone. That price pressure puts pressure on the whole supply chain. If some diamonds had a price premium built into them to help additional monies to go to those who mined the stones, consumers will simply continue to seek out the lowest price they can get, then these price premium diamonds will loose sales and market forces will slowly eliminate that premium.

Another interesting part of the show was the debunking of the myth that those in the diamond trade are rich. Even on that half-million dollar stone the profit made seemed slim compared to the risk.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 12:52:01 AM
Author: SpeedracerII
If some diamonds had a price premium built into them to help additional monies to go to those who mined the stones, consumers will simply continue to seek out the lowest price they can get, then these price premium diamonds will loose sales and market forces will slowly eliminate that premium.
You could say the same for diamonds cut for excellence. They are branded, do not suit the masses, are not sold to the masses...for some would say an "invisible" quality difference...and yet...you see them being successful, particularly here at Pricescope.

Maybe we can have the Speedracer honorary first set of "fair trade" diamonds listed here, and dedicated to you, who says it can''t be done.

This has been discussed here before. You''ve helped renew my faith in can work. I pay a premium for fair trade coffee. Yes, we''d minimally be talking about hundreds, if not thousands of dollars premium to execute it...unlike the dollars premium with coffee. But surely there will be a market. The diamonds, from what I read, are not quite ready to hit yet.

They''ll be coming soon.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched the series Sunday night, was going to post about it here but it said "repeat" in the description so I figured everyone else here had already heard about it or seen it, LOL! Very interesting and informative, glad I watched and got to see another side of the industry.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Speedracer,

You said "So if the whole world decided to buy all their diamonds from Canada and Russia would Africa be better off? What would they replace that lost business and income with?" . I think they would not let it happen. The people who control the diamond industry there will have to somehow comply to certain regulations to keep the business going. When I talked about big profit margin, I did not mean individual people like the one who bought the $410,000 stone. I was referring to big time dealers like the one in India and of course, D*B***s.

Thanks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Although I agree that there is some exploitation going on, ‘exploitation’ is a difficult thing to pin down. Who is the exploiter? DeBeers? To some extent they are culpable but they aren’t involved at all in the majority of diamonds these days and even when they are they have partners and collaborators who empower it, in particular the local governments and government officials. Even when DeBeers is involved, their profits are a small fraction of the money paid by a typical consumer for a typical diamond.

Many African nations, in particular the ones where the exploitation of artisanal diggers makes for such compelling movies, have a serious problem with government corruption that permeates everything from diamonds to medicine to farming to charities. Diamond mining is an extraordinarily competitive business and it’s not nearly as profitable as most people seem to think. The path from the ground to the final customers finger involves a lot of effort by a lot of people other than the initial digger including cutters, traders, shippers, bankers, landlords, tax collectors, retailers, setters, insurance companies, labs, appraisers and many others. Diamond purchases feed the families of far more than just the diggers.

Diamonds are a lucrative revenue stream leading from some of the richest people in the world to some of the poorest and the economics of it is a very complicated affair. It cannot be reasonably summarized in an action movie or a 3 hour TV show. This is the stuff of doctoral theses. What would be the result of doubling the pay/profit for diggers? Happier diggers to be sure, but what else? More diggers. Migration by individual workers who want to better provide for their families from other industries, like schools and hospitals, that don’t pay as well, meaning worse hospitals. More crime against the diggers by both the ‘police’, and just plain criminals who see this as an opportunity. More mines in marginal areas where there isn’t sufficient production to justify working the mine currently. This sort of thing just can’t stand in isolation. I agree that the plight of the diggers is despicable and that it needs to be addressed but there simply is no magic wand. Kimberley is a good start. Fair Trade is a good start. Relatively sensible governance in Botswana, South Africa, India and other nations with diamond activity is a start. There''s more to be done but it’s getting better, not worse and has been doing so for years. Boycotting African products is doing no favors to African workers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Can I share a few thoughts?

1) The Hawthorne effect. The conservative suggestion is that by studying and attending to a situation that one would like to see a change in…if only for the effort to study it, positive changes seem to happen.
2) Neil is a smart guy. His comments make me reflect on the riff from the guy in Goodwill Hunting, where he is pressed to join the FBI, and where he explains that trying to do good in one area can have bad implications in another, and so his joining the FBI may not be such a good idea after all. Another way of saying this, possibly, is that for people in the trade who do not decide to join on something like a fair trade bandwagon…that maybe they are not all that creepy after all, that maybe things are the way they are not by accident, and that maybe slow progress is even already happening, by the way. For that last part, of course, thank goodness.
3) Sustainable improvements are what one would like to see, then, one would think. The fact that more major presences like Rappaport can have an eye into this is encouraging…and so it is perhaps not just a wacky one shot deal being suggested.

Ecosystems are complex environments, sure, no doubt about it. Changes should be made with care. Still…taking the approach of a) being unsatisfied with a circumstance, and b) determining to do something about it that makes sense…is an approach that I can only admire. The alternative is what can also be called rationalizing a bad situation, and it is probably better than giving it no thought whatsoever…or it is worse than not giving it any thought…I suppose, depending on…I don’t know what. Still, I favor the first approach, don’t claim to have answers, don’t blame others necessarily who continue a status quo, but do admire those who seek to change it.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 9:17:18 PM
Author: strmrdr

There is one more point I'd like to make in light of all this. If we think about it, there are many other countries that exploit their workers. The profit margin is probably not as large as the diamond industry, but the fact remains that these workers are underpaid and have poor working conditions. Just think of China's factory workers and child workers. They have no labor laws to protect them like we do in the US. Some people's monthly salary are less than what someone in the US makes in a day. We still buy the products made my these factories, right? I believe we all do as everything seems to be made in China. The difference is the diamond issue made such a major impact because of its bloody history. And like WF says on their website.... the people of Africa stiil suffers. I really hope that a fair trade agreement can be met.

I was going to say something along the same lines...Many garment factor workers in Asia are essentially slaves. Many are so underpaid that they must turn to casual sex work in an attempt to make enough money to get themselves back home. I know this because I work with this population on a regular basis. Rationalizing that most of our products come from such dire circumstances doesn't make it right to purchase them. For example, I still do not buy anything from Nike after learning years ago about their abusive factory practices. Now you might not think that's a big deal but I have difficult feet to shoe, and Nike fits my foot the best of any shoe out there. But I've had to make a conscious effort to find a brand that fits as well, so I don't have to buy Nike.

Similarly, I think everyone who buys a diamond should think and consider where their diamond is coming from. Absolutely and without exception. I know I spent a lot of time considering this issue, which is one reason I went with an antique stone. Now, I know that just because a stone is quite old doesn't mean it was mined with 'happy camper' miners. I understand that. However, it was my personal way to try to do something responsible while still buying a diamond I loved. And I did also consider buying Canadian diamonds if I went with a new cut stone. That said, who's to say miners in Canada aren't slave labor? I dont think they are but I'm also not aware of any legislation on that front.

As for the blood diamond issue, if you've never met a child soldier, I can tell you firsthand, it is a gut-wrenching experience to see a child- with so much potential - crushed to his soul, lifeless eyes, because he was forced to kill for something like diamonds. It is sickening and second only to child prostitution(and quite frankly, the latter is quite common amongst female child soldiers in Sierra Leone). So for those who see no reason to at least attempt to locate conflict free diamonds I say, GET WITH THE PROGRAM. You are part of the problem if you continue to flippantly turn your back on such a serious issue. Trying to rationalize that "well if I dont buy this, those people mining wont get any money and then they'll be in even worse conditions" is just shirking the responsibility that each of us has. Being born in America or Europe is like winning the "E Ticket" of life. I've seen the worst of the worst that life has to offer and it isn't pretty. And there is no quick fix. And yes, there are difficult decisions to make everyday. Like the time I found child laborers working to renovate the offices of a child-centered organization in Myanmar. If we report the construction owner the kids will get fired. If the kids dont work they may be the only breadwinners in their household and therefore, nobody will eat. What to do? It IS a dilemma. However, it does not excuse those of us in the "have" category to be complacent or do nothing simply because the solutions are not clearcut and simple.

Regulating diamond mining practices is very difficult. You just cannot march into Country X and demand they treat their workers better. You cannot ensure easily, that the money gleaned from diamonds is used to better a society (though Botswana has done a great job in this respect, but partly because it is a very small population and thus, it was easy to show progress throughout society from the diamond industry). But we - the "haves" - can at least do our little part to try to attempt a shift in practices. I hope that next time rocks & purses (and anyone else here) goes shopping for a diamond, s/he makes a concerted effort to locate diamonds that are as conflict free as is possible at this point in time.

*steps off soapbox*

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 10:02:21 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Although I agree that there is some exploitation going on, ‘exploitation’ is a difficult thing to pin down. Who is the exploiter? DeBeers? To some extent they are culpable but they aren’t involved at all in the majority of diamonds these days and even when they are they have partners and collaborators who empower it, in particular the local governments and government officials. Even when DeBeers is involved, their profits are a small fraction of the money paid by a typical consumer for a typical diamond.

Many African nations, in particular the ones where the exploitation of artisanal diggers makes for such compelling movies, have a serious problem with government corruption that permeates everything from diamonds to medicine to farming to charities. Diamond mining is an extraordinarily competitive business and it’s not nearly as profitable as most people seem to think. The path from the ground to the final customers finger involves a lot of effort by a lot of people other than the initial digger including cutters, traders, shippers, bankers, landlords, tax collectors, retailers, setters, insurance companies, labs, appraisers and many others. Diamond purchases feed the families of far more than just the diggers.

Diamonds are a lucrative revenue stream leading from some of the richest people in the world to some of the poorest and the economics of it is a very complicated affair. It cannot be reasonably summarized in an action movie or a 3 hour TV show. This is the stuff of doctoral theses. What would be the result of doubling the pay/profit for diggers? Happier diggers to be sure, but what else? More diggers. Migration by individual workers who want to better provide for their families from other industries, like schools and hospitals, that don’t pay as well, meaning worse hospitals. More crime against the diggers by both the ‘police’, and just plain criminals who see this as an opportunity. More mines in marginal areas where there isn’t sufficient production to justify working the mine currently. This sort of thing just can’t stand in isolation. I agree that the plight of the diggers is despicable and that it needs to be addressed but there simply is no magic wand. Kimberley is a good start. Fair Trade is a good start. Relatively sensible governance in Botswana, South Africa, India and other nations with diamond activity is a start. There''s more to be done but it’s getting better, not worse and has been doing so for years. Boycotting African products is doing no favors to African workers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Point well taken
emthup.gif
. It is a very entangled web. No easy solution to a very complex matter that involves numerous fators. But, I agree that the Kimberly act and Fair trade are good ways to start.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Nice job, Ira Z. I appreciate your thoughts.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to offer guidance where I cannot, or clarity where I have little...but I did want to separate out language to aid understanding, if it is not clear, and so that we can appreciate much of the same things. Still, where language makes black and white distinctions...there may be only gray...

Date: 8/1/2007 12:40:19 PM
Author: surfgirl

As for the blood diamond issue, if you've never met a child soldier, I can tell you firsthand, it is a gut-wrenching experience to see a child- with so much potential - crushed to his soul, lifeless eyes, because he was forced to kill for something like diamonds.
1) Maybe more info would be helpful here...but as I understand it...

a) the Kimberly Process is designed to remedy the "blood diamond" issue,
b) 99 + % of diamonds purchased by anyone in the USA is understood to have gone through the Kimberly Process, and it would simply be hard to find one that had not gone through that process if you want to, therefore,
c) although some vendors more clearly state this than others, for the most part
d) no conflict diamonds, in principle and practice, are sold by vendors in the states.

You cannot ensure easily, that the money gleaned from diamonds is used to better a society (though Botswana has done a great job in this respect, but partly because it is a very small population and thus, it was easy to show progress throughout society from the diamond industry). But we - the 'haves' - can at least do our little part to try to attempt a shift in practices. I hope that next time rocks & purses (and anyone else here) goes shopping for a diamond, s/he makes a concerted effort to locate diamonds that are as conflict free as is possible at this point in time.
2) In contrast to the language of "conflict free,"

a) "fair trade" diamonds is what's being adopted as at least one approach for upgrading conditions for those in poverty...by offering an at least "fairer" wage to those who are mining diamonds.

3) Canada...is another tack. From what I have heard...conditions are better, and monitored. Still not a cake walk, but not at the level of conditions as in Africa. When one seeks to get their piece of the Berlin wall, one could choose, as a matter of conscience, to go Canadian. Frankly, given today's market...as I understand it, with no "fair trade" diamonds actually effectively pulled out of the market place, it is probably the only "actionable" option today. But, the idea of supporting, rather than turning away, from the African marketplace, is not unreasonable to me on it's face. I do prefer the general approach, personally, of trying to change from within, rather than dis-investment, as a strategy. But, today...I don't think any diamonds are effectively pulled out, yet, you can really get your hands on, mined from Africa, where advantaged treatment of miners will have been the expectation.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 12:40:19 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 7/31/2007 9:17:18 PM
Author: strmrdr

I was going to say something along the same lines...Many garment factor workers in Asia are essentially slaves. Many are so underpaid that they must turn to casual sex work in an attempt to make enough money to get themselves back home. I know this because I work with this population on a regular basis. Rationalizing that most of our products come from such dire circumstances doesn''t make it right to purchase them. For example, I still do not buy anything from Nike after learning years ago about their abusive factory practices. Now you might not think that''s a big deal but I have difficult feet to shoe, and Nike fits my foot the best of any shoe out there. But I''ve had to make a conscious effort to find a brand that fits as well, so I don''t have to buy Nike.

Similarly, I think everyone who buys a diamond should think and consider where their diamond is coming from. Absolutely and without exception. I know I spent a lot of time considering this issue, which is one reason I went with an antique stone. Now, I know that just because a stone is quite old doesn''t mean it was mined with ''happy camper'' miners. I understand that. However, it was my personal way to try to do something responsible while still buying a diamond I loved. And I did also consider buying Canadian diamonds if I went with a new cut stone. That said, who''s to say miners in Canada aren''t slave labor? I dont think they are but I''m also not aware of any legislation on that front.

As for the blood diamond issue, if you''ve never met a child soldier, I can tell you firsthand, it is a gut-wrenching experience to see a child- with so much potential - crushed to his soul, lifeless eyes, because he was forced to kill for something like diamonds. It is sickening and second only to child prostitution(and quite frankly, the latter is quite common amongst female child soldiers in Sierra Leone). So for those who see no reason to at least attempt to locate conflict free diamonds I say, GET WITH THE PROGRAM. You are part of the problem if you continue to flippantly turn your back on such a serious issue. Trying to rationalize that ''well if I dont buy this, those people mining wont get any money and then they''ll be in even worse conditions'' is just shirking the responsibility that each of us has. Being born in America or Europe is like winning the ''E Ticket'' of life. I''ve seen the worst of the worst that life has to offer and it isn''t pretty. And there is no quick fix. And yes, there are difficult decisions to make everyday. Like the time I found child laborers working to renovate the offices of a child-centered organization in Myanmar. If we report the construction owner the kids will get fired. If the kids dont work they may be the only breadwinners in their household and therefore, nobody will eat. What to do? It IS a dilemma. However, it does not excuse those of us in the ''have'' category to be complacent or do nothing simply because the solutions are not clearcut and simple.

Regulating diamond mining practices is very difficult. You just cannot march into Country X and demand they treat their workers better. You cannot ensure easily, that the money gleaned from diamonds is used to better a society (though Botswana has done a great job in this respect, but partly because it is a very small population and thus, it was easy to show progress throughout society from the diamond industry). But we - the ''haves'' - can at least do our little part to try to attempt a shift in practices. I hope that next time rocks & purses (and anyone else here) goes shopping for a diamond, s/he makes a concerted effort to locate diamonds that are as conflict free as is possible at this point in time.

*steps off soapbox*

Thanks, surfgirl. I am a little confused when you said " I hope that next time rocks & purses (and anyone else here) goes shopping for a diamond, s/he makes a concerted effort to locate diamonds that are as conflict free as is possible at this point in time". That''s one reason I posted my thoughts here is in support for conflict-free diamonds and coming up with a fair trade policy.

Also, these statements were made by another person, not me. "Its a huge problem that has been here forever and will continue forever.
The 10 year olds that made your tennis shoes are just as bad off."

It sounds like you have a great profession working for the underprivilege. I also admire your dedication not to support a company that failed ethical standard. I surely hope you have not misinterpreted any of my posts.

Thanks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Surfgirl,

I largely agree with you. I wrote an article in the journal section on this general topic and it’s been discussed quite a bit in the forum although none especially recently.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/39/1/How-to-avoid-Conflict-Diamonds.aspx

Much evil is perpetrated in the world in order to get at the money in the pockets of otherwise good people and it’s our duty to resist. That said, simple solutions will often have negative consequences that are as bad or worse than the original problem. The problem of kudzu in the southern US started out as a clever and inexpensive plan to reduce soil erosion for example. As a consumer it’s very difficult to know what to do but there’s an easy first step.

Let your jeweler know that you’re concerned about this and that price is not your only criteria.
Ask specifically about what THEY are doing to see to it that their merchandise comes from legitimate sources. As Ira points out, for newly mined diamonds it’s a pretty easy question these days. If they can’t or won’t address this issue, shop elsewhere.

This step alone will help because it tells them that you care and it causes them to pressure their suppliers, who pressure their suppliers etc. The vast majority of jewelers are hard working good people and it reinforces their own efforts by letting them know that their customers see a broader picture than just looking for the cheapest prices.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
rocks & purses, my sincere apologies! I was mis-reading your post...and I also got yours mixed up with Speedracer II who said, " I don't know where the diamond I bought came from, but I don't feel at all guilty about it", and was also talking about if we dont buy from such places, we risk starving those working for slave wages. That was what I was referring to when I said I felt we should all at least make an effort to seek out conflict free diamonds whenever possible, even if that means simply asking "do you know if this is conflict free?" and if they cannot answer the question, go to another vendor.

Neil, thank you for saying what I was trying to say in a less emotional manner...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
There are conservative and progressive approaches, and both can be reasonable. I am trying to learn, however, that there is a difference between awareness, and movement to accomplishing a good act.

Based on the Blood Diamond movie alone, it is hoped a serious majority of jewelers will know about the issue of conflict diamonds. Also, however, as has been reviewed here, there are no conflict diamonds for sale here. You could test your jeweler to see if they know this, but there are enough things for them to be challenged about (whether to get AGS1 or GIA EX, for example, who boy!). This is testing them to see if they''re stupid, I guess. But, how curious about this are they, and what messages do we want to specifically send back.

A conservative statement & question:

Date: 8/1/2007 2:30:38 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Let your jeweler know that you’re concerned about this and that price is not your only criteria.
Ask specifically about what THEY are doing to see to it that their merchandise comes from legitimate sources.
A progressive question: Will you be carrying "fair trade" diamonds?

If you want to make an equivalent to an HCA score...a smaller number will have heard about this. They may have given this some thought, and answer no, and tell you why...as Neil has inferred could be a reasonable response. They may tell you yes. If they haven''t heard of this...should you walk, still, regardless. Why or why not.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Surfgirl,

Apologies accepted. My intent was to get a healthy conversation going. I admit to being naive and ignorant about the facts on blood diamonds until only recently, that is why watching the diamond road show (especially just after watching blood diamond a few days ago) made such an impact on me. I have not been active on this board since I joined so I have missed any discussions in the past about this issue. I understand that through the Kimberly process, we can feel more confident that the diamonds we buy here in the US are conflict- free. What I was really trying to get to in my posts is the hope for a fair trade policy to become a reality. And, with all the postings came the discussion about the global issue of unfair labor practices seen in other countries. I hope you''ve re-read my posts and understand that I care.

Thanks.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yo Yo

Got 3 minutes, 17 seconds.

Martin Rappaport has a groove on.

On You Tube.

Fair Trade Diamonds.

Word.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Ha-ha. Thanks for the link, Ira.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results