shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring merry go round---newbie needs advice please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovejewelry

Rough_Rock
Please give me advice on a decision I am trying to make. I am approaching my 10th anniversary and I am in a dilemma between two diamond rings. My original engagement ring (which is what I wear now) is a 1/2 carat round and in a traditional 14kt gold solitaire setting. At the time we married, we could not afford anything bigger. I have been happy with it because of what it represents, but the purchase was not a pleasant memory. When we went in the jewelry store we purchased a preset ring that was in stock. That was fine with me except the jeweler (we bought it at the one jewelry store in my hometown) would not even discuss selling me anything other than a round. I had my heart set on a fancy shape like a heart or a princess cut. When I asked to look at them, he just really put them down and said it would be risky to purchase them because they might chip on the corners. Then he basically selected my ring and that was that. At the time it really did not upset me, but as the years passed it really began to make me mad the more I thought about it. I have also really grown to not like the man very much, which is probably not his fault but mine. Well, I swore that when I got another wedding set, it would NOT be a round diamond. I have been looking at emerald cuts and asschers and waiting for the right ring to jump out and grab me. Well, guess what ring just jumped out and GRABBED me-----an antique reproduction setting with a 2 carat ROUND DIAMOND. UGGGGGGHHHHH!! I am so mad at myself, but I am afraid that I will regret it if I don''t get it. I am also afraid I will regret it if I do because of my bad memories associated with my round diamond. This ring, though, is so beautiful that I can''t quit thinking about it. I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. I keep trying to sway my mind to the 2 carat asscher ring with side baguettes that I was very close to purchasing, but this antique setting with the round diamond is just to die for. What would you do in my dilemma?
errrr.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with my heart.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i agree with hest. if there is one thing you will notice about diamonds, you can have a boxful of them, but only one will almost seem to call out to you. sounds like you found it!

don't let your bad experience deter you from round brilliants. they are very nice and have the potential of returning the most light, which accounts for their beauty.

good luck in your decision.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/26/2003 4:56:56 PM lovejewelry wrote:

Please give me advice on a decision I am trying to make. I am approaching my 10th anniversary and I am in a dilemma between two diamond rings. My original engagement ring (which is what I wear now) is a 1/2 carat round and in a traditional 14kt gold solitaire setting. At the time we married, we could not afford anything bigger. I have been happy with it because of what it represents, but the purchase was not a pleasant memory. When we went in the jewelry store we purchased a preset ring that was in stock. That was fine with me except the jeweler (we bought it at the one jewelry store in my hometown) would not even discuss selling me anything other than a round. I had my heart set on a fancy shape like a heart or a princess cut. When I asked to look at them, he just really put them down and said it would be risky to purchase them because they might chip on the corners. Then he basically selected my ring and that was that. At the time it really did not upset me, but as the years passed it really began to make me mad the more I thought about it. I have also really grown to not like the man very much, which is probably not his fault but mine. Well, I swore that when I got another wedding set, it would NOT be a round diamond. I have been looking at emerald cuts and asschers and waiting for the right ring to jump out and grab me. Well, guess what ring just jumped out and GRABBED me-----an antique reproduction setting with a 2 carat ROUND DIAMOND. UGGGGGGHHHHH!! I am so mad at myself, but I am afraid that I will regret it if I don't get it. I am also afraid I will regret it if I do because of my bad memories associated with my round diamond. This ring, though, is so beautiful that I can't quit thinking about it. I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. I keep trying to sway my mind to the 2 carat asscher ring with side baguettes that I was very close to purchasing, but this antique setting with the round diamond is just to die for. What would you do in my dilemma?
errrr.gif

----------------

My two cents......if you really love this ring, and you don't get it only because of your past experience with this jeweler, then you've let him gyp you TWICE.

If you love the ring, and you cannot stop thinking about it....you have your answer.

Besides, fancy shapes like asschers/emerald cuts make LOVELY pendants! You can always get one later!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results