shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Ring...having copy made

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boxersbabe

Rough_Rock
I have a gorgeous 4 carat ring (center is 2 carat oval) that I must sell for financial reasons. I would like to have a good copy made of it with faux diamonds, and of course gold. Can anyone tell me who/what/where to go to both sell and have this ring duplicated in the greater Phoenix area? Also, what is best type of fake diamond to use?
Thank you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink Jones ... maker of precision cut CZ and otehr unusual things
1.gif

Not that there are not others, I just do not know them !

The most recognizable feature on all 'faux' is cut - so either CZ, or Moisanite or treated CZ (probably the better option) would be very realistic if cut as fine diamonds are a nd sest in good settings as, again, diamonds aspire to.

The source mentioned above would be freecz.com and the person writes to this forum under the name "Wink"...

Hope this helps. If the respective sources does not prove appealing to you for whatever reason, at least I am convinced that the type ( = makers of finely cut simmulants) is the right one.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The Interlap stone from Wink Jones, the Signity rings and the Asha are the CZ that seem to be favored as most realistic.

Here's a thread about Interlaps recently:
Michelle's Interlap CZ Thread

I also, suggest throwing an e-mail to Wink and see if he can even set it for you! He's great and posts here as Wink. Good luck!

boxersbabe

Rough_Rock
Do you know anything of moissnnite? I have heard that they are astonishing.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/6/2004 4:29:34 PM boxersbabe wrote:

Do you know anything of moissnnite? I have heard that they are astonishing.----------------

Hm... not so sure it beat CZ by far. They are realtively strongly bi-refringent, so larger stones get to look hazy (like natural Zircon does, another contender to diamond replacement, but too soft for an every-day ring).

What makes most of the Moisanite hype is that the cut of the stones and the jewelry they were put in did resemble diamond piece from the start, while CZ already has a "Cheapo" reputation. The look has liitle to do with the name - the cut and presentation is what works in both cases... I would think.

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
I have half carat moissanite princess cut earrings. I was a little disappointed when I got them because they appear very yellow next to my diamonds (H colored) and CZ. I've heard that the best cut for moissanite is round because it reduces the yellow tinge. I have seen some beautiful moissanite in person at a jeweler here on the east coast that didn't look yellow at all compared to a D colored diamond (they were, however, RB cut, not oval). You can check out the moissanite makers website for a jeweler nearest you if you're interested:

http://www.moissanite.com

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/6/2004 4:29:34 PM boxersbabe wrote:

Do you know anything of moissnnite? I have heard that they are astonishing.----------------

I've also heard they can appear a bit yellow and MAY if not of the best quality, look slightly greenish in daylight. On DT one consumer has raved about eBay seller bellajewelrycompany saying the 2 carat stone she purchased not only looks real, but the equivilant of a G colored diamond (and this person mentioned she CALLED the seller (mario or someone of a similar name) and asked for a good moissanite that didn't have that greenish tint
2.gif
). But, who knows if you'll find this stone realistic! I've thought of buying a ring from them, but spending hundreds for a simulant is hard for me to fathom
9.gif

Also, I've read moissanite is more brittle and can chip, which is a concern for rings, but not as much so for earrings or a pendant since these don't take as much of a beating.

Kathryn The interlap I purchased looks pretty realistic in most lighting conditions, but keep in mind that it's yet to be mounted so I'm not sure how my stone will look mounted. Also, I'm not sure about long term durability, but they're inexpensive so buying a couple to use and replace battered stones with is highly affordable. Use a high quality setting as most are less inclined to question a GOOD CZ mounted in a phenominal setting verses mounting the stone in a flimsy tiffany setting that many stores use as a standard for cz rings.

Also, the bigger the CZ the more likely it could look fake! You may want to order a few different sizes to see which looks most realistic to your eyes. Some even say other fancy shaped interlaps look better - like the Flanders (which I'm wanting to order next).

Good luck! Sorry to hear you have to sell your ring.

Michelle

boxersbabe

Rough_Rock
Thank you Michelle. I've had some input re: Moissanite and you mentioned many of the same problems as I had heard about them; particularly if it is a larger stone. The center stone on my ring is about 2 carats so to replicate it, it's been suggested that I use hand cut cz's. I don't know what the differences are but am conversing with "Wink" regarding this. I too am sad to have to sell but "times is tough" and it must be done. The problem is how and where to sell. I have had many suggestions and referrals for having it duplicated prior to selling but as yet no advice on where and how to sell in the Phoenix area. If you or anyone else can help me with that it would be deeply appreciated.
Kathryn / boxersbabe

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the kind words and recommendations. As a new poster here, it is so welcome to be receiving referrals already.

Boxerbabe did contact me because of your kindness and I will do my best to assist her properly.

Wink

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I guess your work speask for itself!
2.gif

Glad to have you join us Wink!
9.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3CT round moissanite. It's incredibly white. I do not notice ANY green in it, just warmth to a J color, it faces white like an H-I diamond.
I also have a 2.75 CTW bezel eternity band with it and it's really a stunning ring. The stones ( at least mine ) are incredibly clear and the double refractineness can only be seen in VERY bright sunny days, it's blinding... Here's a picture I took from a morror reflection...

suninsun3.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Do you want to see more... Here's a picture of the rings in the bright sun...
I think it's beautiful!

funinsun2.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Another one inside the home in indirect lighting, you can see the warmth of the solitaire. That color is RIGHT up in my alley. I don't like icy stones...

funinsun1.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Another one inside the home in indirect lighting, you can see the warmth of the solitaire. That color is RIGHT up in my alley. I don't like icy stones...
The eternity band is one of moissanite set into a pronged setting.

moissnoflash.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Last one of both rings. I think moissanites came a long way! They are more appealing and they don't throw that "greenish" tone as they used to when they first came out.

Bezel3ctmooiss6.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amethyst..I like your solitaire setting, I see 'Solstice' on the inside, is that the Stuller Solstice 6 prong? It looks alot like the Tiffany 6 prong that everyone covets.
2.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
It's the Stuller's Solstice in platinum. I love the indentation in the head of the setting, I thought it was very classy. THanks for your kind comments.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with mara, i like that solitaire setting a lot.
i had a moissanite pendant and i wasn't happy with the color.
glad you found a good one!!
your ring set looks great!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste, I love your rings... you've got me looking at moissanite now!
1.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer,
I had my 3CT moissanite heat treated. The treatment improves the color and it is permanent just like for sapphires. If you want to know where to look, go to BellaJewelryCompany on Ebay.

THanks ladies for your kind comments on my wedding set! Moissanite has come a long way!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
uh oh, Amethyste...I'm in trouble now!
9.gif
Thanks for sharing!!!! I am really intrigued by your lovely moissanites! I think it would be fun to have one...
1.gif

PS I think I have an unfair bias towards anything jewelry-related advertised on those TV shopping channels...hence, my reluctance to look into the Moissanite.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results