shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reds

Rough_Rock
My ring will already be set when I go for an appraisal. Will you be able to tell the crown and pavillion angles?
If so, what type of appraisal do I ask for? How long does it take to get an appraisal? Thanks.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Once set it becomes more difficult to get the crown and pavillion angles - and it'll probably be less precise. If the jeweler has the proper equipment he should be able to give you a good estimation of the angles and/or percentages. The diamond can not be put into a Sarin machine for analysis for more precise measurements once set.

The appraisal duration is depends on the type of appraisal/analysis being done. The type of appraisal/analysis being done depends on nature of the appraisal. That is, confirm a diamond is as documented in grading report or for insurance purposes, etc.

It is best to discuss with the appraiser/gemologist about the degree of information that can be garnered from the mounted stone and then decide what you want to pay for.

rodent.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
My ring will already be set when I go for an appraisal. Will you be able to tell the crown and
pavillion angles?
If so, what type of appraisal do I ask for? How long does it take to get an appraisal? Thanks.
-----------

As Magna pointed out, the crown and pavilion angles can be estimated on a mounted stone by those who have the proper equipment.

The type of appraisal you would ask for is one that one included comprehensive proportion information, specifically, including crown & pavilion information. Many appraisers do not give this information, so you might have to ask around.

The actual appraisal only takes an hour to an hour & a half. The wait time is another matter. Most appraisers work by appointment, so you'll know better when you go to schedule an appointment. SGL guarantees a three day or less turn around time for stones sent in from internet customers. Often they are done the same day they are received. I know Dave Atlas' firm is often able to do the same as well.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

If it hasn't been set yet, why not ask for a Sarin from the dealer you are buying it from? But, the proportions can be estimated (not as exacting as the Sarin), just make sure you ask for that info. It can be more time consuming for the appraiser and they may charge more for that service. It may be more interesting if you can find a qualified appraiser in your local area. Normally, we like to show the clients exactly what the stone looks like under the scope. This is important, so you get to know your stone. If any discrepancies exist we can show you why we feel the way we do about the grading. Many times I have had clients actually do the comparison to my master diamonds when I don't agree with the color. When they can see it too, you know there is a problem. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results