shape
carat
color
clarity

DIAMOND RECOMMENDATION-HCA

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Can anyone run the HCA score on that 1.52carat diamond for me please.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about this diamond?
I think it actually might be better!?

Attachments

• F45A22C4-86BE-4D49-8958-45FA59656597.jpeg
    F45A22C4-86BE-4D49-8958-45FA59656597.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 27

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It might be worth asking HPD (High Performance Diamonds) or Whiteflash if they would consider taking your diamond as a trade in.

I traded my diamond with HPD which was originally purchased at a store.

Nothing to lose by asking.

Yes I was going to suggest that! HPD purchased my diamond and I was able to upgrade. And you’ll have an amazing diamond in the end!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you guys think about this diamond?
I think it actually might be better!?

AGS000 with great light performance, going from the ASET image on the grading report.

If it is eye-clean (or if it's not but you are still happy with it) it could be a good purchase.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
AGS000 with great light performance, going from the ASET image on the grading report.

If it is eye-clean (or if it's not but you are still happy with it) it could be a good purchase.

Is it possible for you to run the HCA score on this one for me? I actually put the diamond on hold at JA. Wanting to get a few more opinions on this diamond but looks pretty good and they have a full refund policy if I don’t love it.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Here’s a link to the diamond. I have it on hold right now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the JA one. AGS 0 is a much safer option than GIA XXX in terms of cut quality, and I like the video as well.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry just getting back, but looks like you've made some progress. That last JA stone with AGS0 is a worthwhile gamble. Proportions are great. Even the AGS1 was much better than either of the two previous stones.

I'd be willing to gamble on the AGS0 if I were in your shoes. The crystals look clear. If it's not eye clean, send it back and start over. Nothing lost really.

What was the price? It doesn't show now that you have reserved? I'm guessing around $8k. Has JA given you an answer on a trade in value? Even if they offered $1,000 you are at the same dollars as local jeweler and have a hell of a lot better stone.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Sorry just getting back, but looks like you've made some progress. That last JA stone with AGS0 is a worthwhile gamble. Proportions are great. Even the AGS1 was much better than either of the two previous stones.

I'd be willing to gamble on the AGS0 if I were in your shoes. The crystals look clear. If it's not eye clean, send it back and start over. Nothing lost really.

What was the price? It doesn't show now that you have reserved? I'm guessing around $8k. Has JA given you an answer on a trade in value? Even if they offered $1,000 you are at the same dollars as local jeweler and have a hell of a lot better stone.
Unfortunately, the employee at JA says they do not buy diamonds. The stone is $8100 but still need to factor in taxes. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve had a couple of online vendors quote me at 2K-2800k. So I’m hoping I can sell it for around $2200. Then I just need to pay to have it set somewhere locally. I’m really hoping I love it! But like you said, if I don’t, I just send it back.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
On a side note, if all goes well with this diamond, I’m going to have to have my current diamond removed and then reset with the new diamond. I’m somewhat concerned about liability issues. What if someone chips my current stone removing it (devaluing my trade-in) or chips the new stone when mounting it? What are questions I should ask upfront when going into local jewelry stores?
Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a side note, if all goes well with this diamond, I’m going to have to have my current diamond removed and then reset with the new diamond. I’m somewhat concerned about liability issues. What if someone chips my current stone removing it (devaluing my trade-in) or chips the new stone when mounting it? What are questions I should ask upfront when going into local jewelry stores?
Thanks!

Jewelers Mutual will insure when setting a stone. You will need the receipt from your stone and the receipt or a written statement from the jeweler about the cost of the setting. For your current ring you would get it appraised then insured.

Some jewelers also have setting insurance - I would ask.

Is your setting going to be able to fit a stone this much bigger than your old one?

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Jewelers Mutual will insure when setting a stone. You will need the receipt from your stone and the receipt or a written statement from the jeweler about the cost of the setting. For your current ring you would get it appraised then insured.

Some jewelers also have setting insurance - I would ask.

Is your setting going to be able to fit a stone this much bigger than your old one?
Unfortunately no, my current setting will not hold a 1.5 carat. Most local jewelers have quoted me around $200-300 to have it set. I’ve got somewhat a unique setting so I think the prongs need to be extended up.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately no, my current setting will not hold a 1.5 carat. Most local jewelers have quoted me around $200-300 to have it set. I’ve got somewhat a unique setting so I think the prongs need to be extended up.

I feel like you are likely to need an entirely new "peg"/"head" thingy (that's what I think the thing the prong is attached to is called). When I put a bigger stone in my existing setting, that's what was required.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone run the HCA score on that 1.52carat diamond for me please.

While I do prefer the AGS0 stone, you can see the proportions on the AGS1 stone are still complimentary as well.

56.2 table, 61.2 depth, 33.9 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF

I'm wondering if this stone got dinged for the very good polish and/or the inclusions interfering with light performance. In the super zoomed view I did a screen cap and you can see some very faint lines that create a hazy look to me. I circled them in red, but as the stone rotates in the video you can see it occur around the stone.

Also, it has a note about additional clouds & surface graining that isn't shown. Not normally a big deal but I get overly cautious with SI2 clarity.

I'm definitely NOT picking on the stone. And you will likely buy the AGS0 either way. But if you fall back on this stone for whatever reason you just need to inspect closely to ensure none of these "issues" in super zoomed views aren't an issue to the naked eye.

The major downside of buying online is the level of detail we can sometimes see on the computer vs the level we actually see with our eyes.

Capture152.PNG

Capture152flaw.PNG

Unfortunately, the employee at JA says they do not buy diamonds.

I'm not buying this. I think you got a bad sales rep. Did you try speaking to someone else, or elevating the matter to a manager?

Also, to be clear -- did you ask them to BUY your diamond, or to give you a TRADE-IN value for your stone so that you could purchase a new JA stone?

I could see how JA may not make you an outright cash offer on the stone, but it seems unlikely they wouldn't take the stone on a trade deal where they get to make profit selling a new stone. Plus, they will buy your stone right so they can re-sell for a profit as well.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Here are some questions for you, forgive me if they've already been covered: Have you seen the 2 stones you've found locally in person? If so, have you viewed them in different lighting conditions (not just inside the store under their fancy lights)? How does your current stone compare to each of the ones you are considering?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like you are likely to need an entirely new "peg"/"head" thingy (that's what I think the thing the prong is attached to is called). When I put a bigger stone in my existing setting, that's what was required.

I'm guessing you are right. But it does assume she has a peg head style setting. An example of one is below.

1578190588005.png

1578190610807.png

Then you can just order a new head. Remove the old, and install the new. Once complete, the stone can be mounted. All for minimal expense and labor.

1578190728058.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @DTraina, who are the online vendors that made you an offer? It sounds like you got two of them, one for $2,000 and another for $2,800. Can you tell us which vendor for which amount?

My thoughts are we can search some alternate stones with those vendors, just in case JA really won't do anything with you on the trade.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @DTraina, who are the online vendors that made you an offer? It sounds like you got two of them, one for $2,000 and another for $2,800. Can you tell us which vendor for which amount?

My thoughts are we can search some alternate stones with those vendors, just in case JA really won't do anything with you on the trade.

I think they were B&M places

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they were B&M places

If I understood correctly, I thought 2 B&M stores offered her $3,000 and $3,500.

And then 2 online vendors offered her $2,000 and $2,800.

But maybe I misunderstood.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
Lighthouse offered me $2500-2800 (but they will take 10%)
AbMor offered $2000-2500
I’m waiting on a quote from WPDiamonds
The B&M stores offered me the $3000 & $3500K.
Im pretty sure I asked JA if they would purchase my stone. She said no. They do trade-ins only if my previous stone was purchase from them. Should I call back and clarify with someone else?
Also, just new peg head will not work. My setting is cathedral style. I’ve been told by many B&M stores that they should be able to extend the prongs slight to accommodate a 1.5carat.
@headlight I have not seen either of the stones in person. I am only considering the 1.52 carat right now. I’m going to order it tomorrow. If I don’t like it, I’m simply going to return it free of charge. My current stone is a 1.02 carat, I color, VG-VG-VG with an HCA score of 5.3 (barf) so this stone would be a huge upgrade.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying @DTraina.

It looks like Diamond Lighthouse is diamond broker that takes 10% commission for selling your stone.

Looking the Abe Mor site, they only offer 1 stone that fits your color, size and budget constraints. And the proportions are the same or worse than the local guys you are talking to, so I would NOT recommend this stone either.

In regards to JA, it sounds like you asked them to buy your stone outright. I would absolutely contact them again, and tell them you found one of THEIR stones you'd like to buy but have an existing stone you'd like to trade in on it that came from elsewhere. They do this for other people, so I see no reason they wouldn't do it for you.

DTraina

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I purchased the 1.54 carat today. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out! Really hoping it’s eye clean. Thanks to everyone who helped! Im very excited about this stone and appreciate all “diamond education” I received from all the members here.
On a side not, I did ask JA about trading my diamond in but again, they said they only do this if the previous stone was purchased from them. Not sure if they their “rules” have recently changed but they flat out said no. I’m just going to try and sell my stone elsewhere.

Deena

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Attached is the AGS report for the 1.52carat from JA. I’m not sure how to read AGS reports so I’d love to get some feedback about this stone. How would I know if it’s eye clean? I actually asked the customer service lady on their website and she responded, “There’s no way to tell if an SI2 will be clean.” I assumed I would be able to find this information out before making any sort of purchase but I guess not.
Also, from the little I’ve read, I thought a good AGS stone should have a rating of 0. This one is rated as a 1. Is that bad?

1. JA does not demand expertise from their customer service staff. There are a couple - like, two - of representatives whose opinions I would trust, but on the whole I've found the "information" they provide to be meaningless at best and misguided at worst.

2. For others in this thread - AGS has an astonishingly complicated array of report options (this is, in my opinion, not to their credit). Summary here:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/agslabsfaqs

This is a DQR - Cut grade is proportions-based, not performance-based. That means that the stone's cut grade will be determined by where on the proportions charts AGS publishes this stone's numbers fall; there's no light tracing or predictive imaging analysis. Charts here:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/roundguidelines

The highest grade for cut on the currently-published DQR is "Excellent". The highest grade for symmetry and polish on the currently-published DQR is "Excellent". In the currently-published DQR, the two highest polish and symmetry grades are permissible within "Excellent" cut grade.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I purchased the 1.54 carat today. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out! Really hoping it’s eye clean. Thanks to everyone who helped! Im very excited about this stone and appreciate all “diamond education” I received from all the members here.
On a side not, I did ask JA about trading my diamond in but again, they said they only do this if the previous stone was purchased from them. Not sure if they their “rules” have recently changed but they flat out said no. I’m just going to try and sell my stone elsewhere.

Deena

I would be surprised if this stone is eyeclean in-person. The crystal, though white, is close to the table - I am guessing it will be easily noticeable on somewhat close inspection from slight tilt angles. Given crystal location and stone size, it is not prongable. Diamonds of this carat/colour/clarity are priced individually... you can't "game the system" to get an awesome SI2 at rock-bottom price from a vendor with a large not-in-house inventory - SI2s that are almost-SI1s are going to command an almost-SI1 pricetag. It's a different story when you're purchasing a branded stone, of course - in those cases special care is taken to mask inclusions, and those sorts of SI2s may very well be eyeclean in larger sizes.

As far as I'm aware JA's policy is indeed to accept only stones originally purchased from JA for trade-in. They may have made exceptions for exceptional stones/circumstances in the past, however that should not be the expectation.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results