shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Quotes - 5 diamonds - your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
I am sweating over getting a good "fair" deal for a 1 carat diamond, Princess Cut, for an engagement ring. I would love to get your opinions on the following quotations. I have yet to see the stones, but this is an "industry insider" who can cut me a "great" deal. ;} How reasonable are these prices:

1.01 ct SI 1- I-color $2750 per carat uncertified (Total: $2778)
1.00 ct SI 1- I- $3000 EGL cert -excellent make
1.00 ct VS 2- I -$3100. EGL cert
1.01 ct VS 1- I -$ 3150 per carat EGL cert (total: $3182)
1.00 ct VS 1- I -$3300 GIA cert.
1.00 ct VVS 2- I- $3200 EGL cert. ( 41.7 % below wholesale cost)

Would like to know that I got a good "is forever" deal!

isthree00

Rough_Rock
I don't know a thing about princess cuts, but those that do are going to ask that you post some more information on those stones. Specifically, they'll want to know crown, pavilion, girdle, table and depth measurements. Can your "industry insider" get you some sarin reports for those stones or provide you with some more info? And what lab are the EGL certs from? Validity and accuracy of EGL results can vary greatly depending on what lab did the grading.

Just some thoughts. . .

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I guess EGL is: EGL is the European Gemological Laboratory? Would using this certification simply be another way to throw someone foolish like me off the mark?

isthree00

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/25/2003 11:44:39 AM FOODIE wrote:

Thanks! I guess EGL is: EGL is the European Gemological Laboratory? Would using this certification simply be another way to throw someone foolish like me off the mark?
----------------

No, EGL is legit, they just have more variance in grading standards than other labs (GIA and AGS). I have read that some EGL certs have been off by as much as 2 levels on color and/or clarity. Just something to watch out for - have the stone independently appraised before you buy.

I believe LA and NYC labs are the best, while you should be wary of Israeli certs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
When I see EGL graded stones that are offered for so much less money I always become suspicious... Be sure to check if the grades are correct and the stones have been overgraded! EGL Los Angeles works nicely. EGL NY is good too.
EGL Israel and Antwerp... FORGET about it!
eek.gif
2-4 grades off almost all the time!
1.gif

wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results