shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond purchased, now what?!

molechlo

Rough_Rock
My husband proposed to me almost 10 years ago with a gorgeous classic tiffany style solitaire setting. A few months before the big engagement day, he asked me what type of ring I wanted and I said, "Just something simple." I trusted him and to be honest, I didn't really care what he gave me because I loved him so much and knew it would be beautiful, and I just wanted to be married and start our lives together! It all sounds so simple, and it was :)

When I recieved the gorgeous solitaire on the Kenzie street bridge in Chicago I couldn't believe that I was so blessed to have such a sweet man propsing to me with a diamond that just sparkled so brightly in the early evening sky! I didn't even know what carat sizes meant or any of the other factors that relate to a diamonds unique quality, but all I knew was I was in love with what I later found out was a triple excellent 1.54 I SI.

3 kids later and as you can imagine a lot of wear and tear to the ring, the diamond falls out of the setting :( It suddenly feels as if my life is starting to spiral out of control Nothing is about our simple life anymore. That diamond was the foundation of our commitment to be together forever! I have had dreams of finding it in my car, in the starbucks parking lot, in a diaper?? It has to be somewhere close!! It has almost killed me...but luckily it was insured!

I visited my original jeweler in Chicago to replace the diamond. We are known for having "jewelers row," with store fronts on the lower levels of wabash st, and private jewelers on the top floors. This guy happened to be a private jeweler but I ultimately decided not to go back after much consideration. I suddenly decided that after 10 years, things have changed or maybe I have changed, and what the heck, why not reset the diamond in a design to fit my new, more mature self? 10 years is a long time!

I was researching pave style settings and fell upon these forums on pricescope and found Victor Canera! I emailed him just about settings and after many quick detailed responses went back and forth for a few days, I decided this guy was exactly what I needed in my busy life. I don't have much time to sit down with anyone and his reviews have been amazing so far...so I went on a whim and picked out a diamond with him!!! We discussed a diamond similar to what I had before but it was not an in house diamond and after prices went up, it was gone. The other diamond we were discussing was an in house, 1.72 hearts and arrows. It was more than I wanted to spend but after prices went up, he honored the price from the previous week we had discussed. I couldn't resist, and for some reason I really trust this man....let's hope it all turns out!! Thanks to all of you, I feel confident and seriously don't feel any hesitation, which is not normal for me in all situations.

So now the big question...what setting do I do??? I'm looking at the Emilya halo or Pave 4 prong. I prefer a flush look next to a wedding band, which I will probably have to have remade to fit the new ring. But the Emilya and Pave 4 prong with the donut is so gorgeous, something about it looks complete, I just don't know if I can get over the band not sitting flush.

So, my VC friends, thoughts??!

Thanks for all of your input! I wouldn't be here if I hadn't taken the time to read these forums and realize there are other detailed oriented people aka perfectionists, out there like me!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
For starters, consider a 6 prong. That way you'll be less likely to lose the stone again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results