shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond purchased not as expected !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meiow

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring was purchased in June 2001 from a VERY reputable Jeweller in Dublin,Ireland.I decided to have it set with a wider band in April 2003 & as the Diamond was out of the setting I asked my jeweller to check the weight!
I purchased in good faith a 3.80ct,I colour, Princess Cut Si1,it was not certified!! BIG MISTAKE !!!!!!
What I had was a 3.08ct with the same specks.
When I brought it back to the place of purchase they checked their records & told me they had made a mistake,it was a 3.08ct that they had sold me with receipts saying 3.80ct.
They admitted liability & I gave them a chance to rectify the problem.Now they have shown me a 4.0ct stone that they claimed was VVS2 I-J colour.I asked to have it certified as don`t want headache again.
They came back with a cert from EGL saying it was 4.0ct,VS1 & J colour with a Moderate Blue florescence,
Having seen the stone it looks more sparkly than the original that I bought but as the colour is one grade down do you think I should accept it???
They are not charging any extra money but the original cost us $ 25,500

Advise PLEASE !!!!
confused.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
The 4.0 J VS1 is worth almost $7,000 more than the 3.08 I SI1. There really isn't that much of a difference between I and J color, and as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. However, considering you paid $25k for the first one, and the stone was only worth about $17,864, you were definately over charged. If that annoys you, get your money back.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
You must have strong arms to hold up a stone that size!
9.gif

dragonsheart

Rough_Rock
if they are telling you that they made a mistake and willing to give you a 4.0 color J and you are willing to take it I would say go for it. try demanding a 3.80 color D/IF if you do not want a 4.0.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asking for a D/IF 3.80c would be WAY more $$$ than a J/VS1 4.0c! I have seen a 4c D/IF on Blue Nile in the past that was around $80k. D/IF are pretty darn pricey, you pay a large premium for that flawless/colorless when you buy retail.

Anyhow--I think the deal sounds good. You got jipped the first time around, $25k for a 4.0c J VS1 is a good deal. Do you know anything about the cut of the stone? Do they have Sarin information? If it's EGL graded, it should at least have crown and pavilion % on the report?

The other thing that I think bears noting is that EGL can sometimes be 'lenient' with their grades. Is this an EGL USA lab cert? If so, you should be fine as from what I have read, EGL USA is better than some of its overseas counterparts (eg. Israel)...though Giangi seems to be more of the expert on that topic! You just want to be sure that the EGL graded numbers and details ARE the right ones..and are not off a color grade or two--as that may affect pricing and you obviously do not want to have to go through this again.

I would suggest getting this 4.0c stone checked out by an independent appraiser. Someone who knows their stuff. That way you have an expert opinion from someone who is not biased towards the sale, and you get the EGL cert confirmed. They may even give you more info on the cut.

Good luck, whatever you decide. 4c stone sounds lovely!!!
2.gif
Start doing the arm exercises now.

meiow

Rough_Rock
Mara, Thanks so much for the advice.As per the cert the details are as follows :

Total depth : 72.7%
Total Width : 81%
Crown Height : 6%
Pavillion Depth : 61%
Girdle Thickness : Thin to Medium

Thanks , Meiow
wavey.gif

meiow

Rough_Rock
Thanks Furthermore, will let you know how it all works out!!

Best Regards : Meiow
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting! What are the dimensions of the stone? (e.g. 8mm x 8.10mm x 5mm or similar)

The table at 81% is an AGA 3a cut grade, not the best...but the other details such as the depth, girdle, etc are looking good. The crown % is a little shallow it seems..should be around 8-11% but that could be okay as well if the pavilion is not too deep.

I would definitely get the stone checked out by an independent appraiser. I don't know too much about princess cut stones, maybe an expert can pipe in! But check out the www.gemappraisers.com AGA cut grade charts to see what constitutes 1A (great) numbers for a princess stone vs 2a (still very good), 3a (more like a typical cut stone), 4a (like an icky mall stone!).

2.gif

meiow

Rough_Rock
measurements are : 9.17 x 8.96 x 6.51

will check out that site you mentioned,

Thanks Mara
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is the vert printed on blue or white paper? Is it laminated?
Since the percentages seem to be rounded, the lab that issued the report should be EGL Israel or EGL Antwerp. They aren't exactly strict... I'd say VEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRY aggressive!

meiow

Rough_Rock
Giangi,
Have not seen the original cert only a copy by email.Am going to Ireland Tomorrow to see the Ring & cert.Have a feeling the cert is from EGL Antwerp as Dublin is nearby.
Will let you know.
wavey.gif

Greatcall

Rough_Rock
Some people are so idiotic Demand an IF/D. While youre at it demand the job of Tony Blair. Take the 4.00 ct and run. Its a good deal. You're jeweller is kind if he admits to his mistake. By the way how do you guys come up with the price of $17,000 for 3.08 SI 1 I (retail)????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results