shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Purchase Help Paid Service?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockwell

Rough_Rock
I know it''s important to do your own research and be an informed consumer, but doesn''t it seem like there should be experts (like many of the people on PS seem to be) out there offering to help people find the best diamond for them for a fee. Like a car broker.

It seems like many people would be willing to pay for this type of service. There''s just so much information out there and it''s so time consuming.

The alternative I guess is PS, which is also a huge help. Just wondering. Maybe there is such a thing?

JC

Shiny_Rock
rockwell,

Take a look at the reputable companies right here on PS. I'm sure that anyone of us would be more than happy to assist. For example, if a customer calls me I am more than willing to help them find a diamond if they have not already found one listed on our website. I'll see what else is out there in the market, and if there isn't than just maybe we will have some good alternatives for you to consider that are currently available. Each one of us online diamond brokers on a daily basis offer up some good education and advice to help a potential customer find that right diamond for the right price. So I would sugest that you call around and see what's out there and who can provide the right diamond for you. I never charge anyone a fee just to answer questions and I doubt that anyone else on PS does either. Good luck with your search!

wavey.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Agreed Rockwell, but the problems happens that those who are too busy to do it and don't care about price will go to Tiffany's, Cartier, etc. Those who don't want to pay over market or don't have the money for brand stores, are here doing their own search, trying to save money, not spend more on someone to do it for them. That's usually HOW they find PS, and get addicted!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO, it would be too hard to assume that what one person would find attractive another would as well. Diamonds end up being very personal purchases. People here will gladly help you find your stone by posting many options, but in the end you make your decision and you do the final legs of research

because it's your money. Paid services...I don't know what could be out there, but if you do find something, make sure it is NOT affiliated with a vendor. Someone who sells stones would not be the best place to try to get help on finding a stone (unbiased).

Anyway, what are you looking for?!
1.gif
Give us some ideas! I'm bored today...
2.gif

rockwell

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Just an independent expert that asks for your parameters and what's important to you and then shows you several options (at different vendors) and points at what he/she feels are the strongest stones and why. It would just be a huge confidence booster to have someone with an extensive background in the business helping you along in finding solid diamonds at fair prices. Sort of an insider.

That being said, what do you think of GOG. Obviously a very informative site with great photos and what appears to be all the required info right on their website. Seems to good to be true as far as internet sales go. Is there significant mark-up that is added since they're supplying the sarin reports, lightscope, etc... Are their prices set in stone or negotiable?

Thanks.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Rockwell, can't speak for GOG (Maybe they can) but I can say when it comes to their website, it IS too good to be true, but there it is. And so glad that it is! Like having a professional advise you on your stone parameters, GOG does the same, and can eve order stones they DON'T physically carry, so they are professionals who are a B&M sotre.

They may carry a premium, but woudn't you say it's well deserved? I don't think it's even much compared to others on-line, so it's a deal in my book to work with people as good as them, and if they can find your stone, I say it's well worth it, because they have machines that even cutters in the Diamond District have never heard of! Plus, they are so pleasant, they make you WANT to visit (I haven't YET), but they are the best of both worlds with an online presence and an internet presence! GO GOG!
appl.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
One of my friends suggested that I make myself available to help people go find a stone at the LA Jewelry Mart....hahaha...for my friends, I spend one or two solid 8 hour days helping them check out stones. Truly a grueling experience, though fun at the same time.

Now, even if I charged a paltry $20/hr, who in their right mind would want to pay that? I would certainly be willing to pay a few hundred more for a stone that has all of the guesswork taken out of it (by the right vendor).

Usually, the people that want the help are the cheapest (ooops, most frugal), so, really, hiring someone in their minds means a tip of about $50. Again, hahahah.
10.gif

rockwell

Rough_Rock
caratgirl---

I would be willing to spend 250 for the extra piece of mind. It could also depend on how much you're spending on the rock. Just like paying a car broker 500-700 bucks to find a specific car for the right price.

It would be marketed toward busy people that don't want waste the mark up at Tiffany's and boutique jewelers. Not necessarily for frugal people. I personally just don't like paying huge mark up for anything. Don't mind paying people for their service, but 30-40% mark up is crazy, regardless of how much money you have.

That's my thought anyway---

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that most on line vendors, will take the time to explain and give as much information as the consumer will ask for and maybe more.
Many of us vendors will send copies of the certs,explain the depth,table, scintilation,crown angeles,etc..., and after visually seeing the stone we'll give you our honest opinion as to what we think of the stone.We We understand that most consumers aren't educated enoough to make the decision without an expert explaining it to them.
Another big factor is that most of us DONT want to see the stone coming back.
I dont think that paying for such a service is needed as the vendors will walk you through the process.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Rockwell, Understood what you are saying, but consider that going to a vendor, they have a biase to their stones. Having an " unbiased third party" who is knowledgeable is just as biased, but not visibly. The person could be aligned with vendorsor even paif kickbacks to sell their stones, and as a "unbiased" person, they can convince you of those stones, undetected and trusted.

Forgive me, but I tend to be very suspicious, and to me the best advice is free. You can take it, you can leave it, but in the end it on;y costs you when you don't, becuase that's when you lose out on good ideas that cost nothing!

Seriously, I know it's hard to find this stone. When we looked, I almost gave up and decided it wasn't out there. We almost went to Tiffany's (it's Friday), and in te end we finally found it! Hang in there, it's worth it finding it yourself, and with all this free help of us crazy diamond people, you just might be proud you took the time and effort for your lady. I know she'll appreciate it!
9.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
agreeing with what most are saying here..i would just like to add..if this could be a real job..i would do it in a heartbeat! how fun would it be to look for diamonds and soend other peoples money.. hehehe. fun fun!
i have helped a few coworkers out, in finding their diamonds..and loved every second of it. im always looking for a new project... happy firday everyone!
appl.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Bling! LOL! I swear, sometimes I think it IS my job to search for stones, etc...sometimes I am more on PS than work! (which is bad and indicated I am getting paid to goof off...or at least until they catch on!)

Bad thing is, I liked my job until i found PS...now if it doesn't have diamonds in it, I am just not interested! Woe is me!!! I have been helping friends with their selections too, it's cool! But for now my boss is paying me to help YOU PEOPLE find rings...for free!
9.gif

Also, as a bonus, I am also including free commentary, stupid facts and a bit of general babble! FREE!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results