shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond purchase advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakTheKnife

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I was hoping I might get your collective expert opinions on an engagement ring I''m buying.

The setting is Platinum, custom made based upon a Tiffany Lucida design.

The diamond is:
Report: GIA
Cut: Excellent
Carat: 0.7
Colour: D
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 58%
Crown angle: 34.5
Crown %: 14.5%
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.0%
Girdle: thin-medium(faceted)
Measurements: 5.75-5.79 x 3.49mm
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

The price I''ve been quoted for the setting is £500 ($1022) and the diamond is £3129 ($6394).

I''ve been waiting a long time for this and I''m very excited but I want to make sure I''m not being overcharged (it would be awful if I could have got something better for the same money!)

Do you think that''s a good deal?

Many thanks, I shall eagerly await your responses!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
first things - the angles are a good indicator for good performance for light return tho seeing the stone to confirm, if its a Pricescope vendor... do they have Ideal Scope or ASET images to look at?

Some on here may say the Table is a little large at 58%, but i think its more a personal preferance thing, and tables 55-60 are just different looks and folks prefer one way or the other... its nothing to be concerned about. and the depth is very good, and your getting a good spread at 5.75-5.78mm (whiteflash''s bck of fag packet guideline is 0.75ct = 5.7mm)

Out of interest, is this a UK vendor or a US vendor? i''m guessing as your listing the straight £$ conversion that its a UK vendor. as a price comparison, only Blue Nile have a similar 0.7 D VVS2 for $5652, but converted to UK that is £3320 ($ to £ + VAT)

tho ask yourself why D VVS2? if its simply the one they had in the shop, then consider going elsewhere and dropping the colour D-G/H and Clarity VVS1-VS2/SI1 as there is (so long as its eyeclean) no visual differance - but you could either save yourself a grand or so... or up the size.
for instance: This 0.7ct F VS1 is $3035 or £1700 imported

and this 0.76ct G VVS2 is $4000 or £2350 (and is a touch larger than your current selection, while the WF stone is a touch smaller, but i doubt lining all 3 up, set in a ring you''d notice the 0.2mm differance between the WF and GoG stone.)

if your shop would set another vendors stone, then consider the above, if not, and you get either WF or GoG to make a similar setting for you (which they probly can, if not already have a stock setting that matches) then importing you have to add 2.5% import duty to the total price
38.gif
then add VAT on top of that

so go recap... the diamond you listed has good potencial as far as i can read from the proportion data, price... is about par for current prices (you *can* get it cheaper in the US, but once VAT is added, its no cheaper)
there are alternatives, if you lower your Colour and Clarity requirements, without sacrificing the look of the one you are looking at, and saving you £1000 or more.

does that help?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone sounds nice, but as already pointed out, you are at a price point of many 1 ct. stones.

MakTheKnife

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! We have tried on rings with various sizes of diamonds in them and decided that .7 carats was just about the perfect size on my girlfriend's hand - not so big it looks oversized but not so small it looks like I skimped on it ;-)

So really having decided on the size I wanted to make sure it was of a good quality and nicely proportioned. Your comments have reassured me that I have made a good decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results