shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rtseng

Rough_Rock
We have been shopping for the perfect diamond for some time now. Currently, a store approaced us with a GIA diamond that is: 1.03 in weight, F color, VS2 clarity. The asking price is about Canadian $9,300-$9,400 (depending on the exchange rate). I've made an appointment to see him next week. Can some one let me know if this is a good price and how much should we negotiate?

In additon, is it safe to buy loose diamonds from a "wholesale deal" who does not have a store (maybe an office but I doubt that too). What are things to watch out??

Thank you very much for your help.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rtseng,

There are other factors affecting the price: proportions, polish, symmetry, fluorescence... Price can vary from US $5k to $7.5k because of this (CAD $8k-12k).

to chek the cut of your diamond.

When you'll get all this info and find out how much similar diamonds cost in the web, you'll see whether you have a room for negotiation.

As for whether it is safe, yes it is if a dealer has legitimate business, has good reputation and trustworthy credentials. If you unsure, don't hesitate to inquire about it. Buy only if you feel comfortable.

But most important: educate yourself, read tutorial and other articles on this site and search for more info in the web.

[/u][/u][/u]

rtseng

Rough_Rock
thanks leonid.

just one more question, how does the AGIS' cut grading correspond to GIS's? for example, I think the diamond is a "good cut". Would that be 2A-2B by GIS?

thanks again.
:))

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/8/2002 8:36:03 AM

thanks leonid.

just one more question, how does the AGIS' cut grading correspond to GIS's? for example, I think the diamond is a "good cut". Would that be 2A-2B by GIS?

thanks again.
:))
----------------

I'm affraid there is a confusion... What are AGIS and GIS? Do you mean AGS and GIA?

GIA doesn't have cut grading system. There is David Atlas, AGA, cut grading system that has 1A,B-2A,B etc grades.

By the way, what is the diamond shape you're looking for? I assumed it was round...

rtseng

Rough_Rock
sorry, it was a typo . i meant AGA. i took a look of your "price stat" and was just wondering which pricing on cut i should use . as you mentioned, GIA does not have a grading sysem on cut (they do tell you if it's an ideal, excellent..etc, don't they?)...

and yes, i am looking for a round diamond.

thanks for your help!!::)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rtseng, I personaly never use the price stats :)

You'll get much better picture if just compare the prices for the similar diamonds (including cut and finish).

AGA 1A class is very strict and very close to Tolkowsky proportions.

).

to quickly check the cut. [/u][/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results