shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond prices going up soon -- is it true???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the past few days I''ve read several comments about diamond prices going up soon. Do you think this is true? And what would be driving the prices up right now?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it''s true. there''s a chart around here somewhere that shows the trend. I''ll see if I can hunt it down. The big ouch to me is the setting prices going up 20-25% due to increase in metal
39.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
found it. You can check it out here

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the popular vendors here told me their prices will go up in the next week. It makes me sick because I haven''t been able to locate exactly the right stone. So I either have to sacrifice some of the features I want, or wait and pay more when new ones come in.
32.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ug!!!

I sure hope these vendors that are looking for a new stone for me come up with something soon (i.e., like TODAY!!!).

How often do you think is too often to call and check on their progress and just remind them that I''m still out here and interested... ?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My perception has always been that diamond prices are slowly, steadily, and constantly going up (have they ever really gone down?). And quite dramatically so for settings lately due to plat/gold prices. These are dark times for PSers!

DeeJay -- when I was looking for stones, I checked in with vendors about every other day. I don't think you should feel bad at all about calling them more often and letting them know of your urgency to find something soon. Good luck!

janko10

Rough_Rock
The setting I was looking at on WF has gone up $400 overnight.

That''s friggin rediculous.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2006 11:48:29 AM
Author: KristyDarling
My perception has always been that diamond prices are slowly, steadily, and constantly going up (have they ever really gone down?). And quite dramatically so for settings lately due to plat/gold prices. These are dark times for PSers!

DeeJay -- when I was looking for stones, I checked in with vendors about every other day. I don''t think you should feel bad at all about calling them more often and letting them know of your urgency to find something soon. Good luck!
yes...the diamond market crashed in the early 80''s along with gold and silver.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wouldn''t we have had a WONDERFUL time if we had been around for a diamond price crash!!!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see no upward pressure on retail diamond prices right now. Gold and platinum are going up, yes, diamonds not right now.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonds were flat for about 5 years from late 90''s to the 2000''s....and then they started going up up up.

if i would have known then what i know now, i would have tried to get my upgrade back THEN and it would have been probably like 30% cheaper for the same stone. WAH! oh well. i try not to think about ~8 years from now if the prices keep climbing, my 3c J SI may be like $50k!
39.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Paul, so there isn''t going to be a jump in diamonds prices? With the recent jump in setting prices I''m already having a problem, and if diamond prices jump as well we might as well have bought 5 months ago when our savings were at $1600 not $2100!
39.gif
So much for my half carat in really nice setting.
39.gif
39.gif
What''s the point in trying to save enough to buy with cash if the prices rise faster than we can save??
29.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe prices on certain types of diamonds are on the up-side in the short-term (example fancies.. 2 cts plus I + Si1+, Rounds.. 3 cts + across the board.)

Half, three-quarters and Caraters- to caraters and a half of all kinds will remain steady and have no immidiate reason to go up...
These are overproduced these day's and there are plenty of it!!!!

Smaller fancies and rounds (0.01 carat to 0.25 cts.) are on the up-side in the short term...

In the long term, if comodities will keep going up the way they are these past few years, obviously Diamonds will follow.

Money is not worth anything today!!!! Investors are investing in comodities, real estate, etc, etc,... (eventually they will in Diamonds too!!!)

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I think Paul is right here......but I do think there is some possible increases on certain sizes.

At the last DeBeers sight, it was reported that a significant amount of the siteholders rejected their boxes, based on them believing they could not turn a profit on it.

The next sight, which I think is just about to occur, or just did, should show how DeBeers will respond to the last sight''s results.

Will sightholders that might be low on material to cut, still reject boxes if DeBeers holds steadfast in supply and pricing ?

Guess we''ll hear soon.

Rockdoc

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/17/2006 2:38:00 PM
Author: RockDoc
I think Paul is right here......but I do think there is some possible increases on certain sizes.

At the last DeBeers sight, it was reported that a significant amount of the siteholders rejected their boxes, based on them believing they could not turn a profit on it.

The next sight, which I think is just about to occur, or just did, should show how DeBeers will respond to the last sight''s results.

Will sightholders that might be low on material to cut, still reject boxes if DeBeers holds steadfast in supply and pricing ?

Guess we''ll hear soon.

Rockdoc
5-6 sightholders rejected their allocations during the last sight, usually DeBeers would punish these kind of decissions by charging a $$$penalty.

Obviously DeBeers changed that policy, and instead explained that if a sightholder does not want to take their box, they will respect it... and will not pressure anyone...

In my opinion it shows that DeBeers made a strategic decission of having no problem to stock-up on large amounts of Rough Diamonds.

Which brings me back to my point that prices will keep going up in the "LONG-RUN"

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
De Beers informed their customers that whatever they did not take in the previous sights of this year, as well as whatever extra they had asked for half a year ago, and did not take yet, they will have to take, or should I say swallow, at the sight of next month.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry Paul,

Thats not what Varda Shine said in a recent speech....

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not unusual to have a difference between what is said in a speech and what is said face-to-face in a meeting. Sightholders got a totally different message at last week''s sight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results