shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond plots; do they show everything?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monty2004

Rough_Rock
I''ve looked at several SI clarity diamonds through the loupe and though I don''t think I have an especilly good eye have been able to see small brownish areas which look 3- dimensional and which don''t appear on the plots. These were seen through the top of the stones and in each case the diamond was still eye clean ( at least to me). Does the GIA plot disregard non discript inclusions like this or what?

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that GIA only puts down what is nessary to reidentify the stone. Then again some of the plotting rules are deceptive, ie. a mark seen through crown but open on pavilion is plotted on pavilion not crown. This could make an open ftr that travels deep into the stone and looks like an iceberg from the crown just look like a line on the pavilion.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
GIA graders plot the characteristics that set the grade or help to identify the stone. Lesser characteristics may be noted under comments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results