shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Photography Competition

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prize - An Ideal-Scope and Calibration CZ.

First entry - Christian Pike from Melbourne Australia

This is the best I have ever seen because you can see fire and the star pattern AND the stone still looks colorless.

white light shot 72.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And here is a high tech entry on behalf of Sergey and the OctoNus DiamCalc team based on inputed data from a 3d Sarin DiaVision scan.
It is the same stone
1.gif

Photo Comp.jpg

robbe

Shiny_Rock
Round%2095pt%20W%20pure_1.jpg
hi mr cutnut, my stone is flatter than yours but i like the result of my photo. what do you think? robbe

robbe

Shiny_Rock
"This is the best I have ever seen because you can see fire and the star pattern AND the stone still looks colorless."

...actually you're right, the picture on top is very beautiful!!! robbe

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbe your picture didn't come through?

Garry--interesting how different the two pictures are looking (real vs virtual)--what do you think accounts for the differences since they are the 'same stone'...is 'real photography' that much superior? That virtual image doesn't even show the arrows as clearly...interesting?

smaggard

Rough_Rock
I took this soon after receiving the ring. It's mounted obviously, and I should have used a better white light source. I'm going to try better ones but now that I gave it to her, it isn't exactly a piece of cake getting it to myself for a while if ya know what I mean!!
1.gif
10.gif

closeup8big.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara the virtual image is made by scanning adn transfering a file for each facet into DC. The scan is not deadly accurate - so facets are not always lined up perfectly.
The virtual lighting is different to the lighting in the real iamge.
Also the focus is perfect in the virtual image - Notice how Smag's stone has more dimension caused by the fact the table is in and the culet is out of focus. If you could take that shot with the camera focusing in the middle of the stone Smag, it would be great.

Robbe maybe your file was too big?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure there are better pics, but here's mine.
In direct sunlight on the window sill, set in the Vatche Royal Crown.

By the way, can you submit more than one?

108_0877 (3).JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice Kayla.

Interesting thought - the light is hitting the pavilion.
We aim to take photo's with no light entering the pavilion - this makes it very difficult.
Can you try with something blacking the pavilion for me in a similar setup please Kayla?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool picture Kayla..I cant get images like that with my camera.

Garry--the top picture you posted, is that with light blacking out the pav? Wouldn't you want it to show the fire and sparkles in the ring like Kaylas or ? The top picture shows more of the 'brightness' of the stone seemingly..while hers looks more warm and fiery.

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
This is fun. Struggling with getting the image as sharp as those shown - it's probably my camera (or the organic equipment!).

sparkle2.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummh,
What's the pavillion?
2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The bottom 1/2 of the diamond - the whole part below the girdle.

No we are not trying to make bad diamonds look good - this excercise that CP is doing is to take a realistic image for diamond certificates. All the light shoudl come from above the crown
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this contest for consumers only Gary?

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Show us what skilled people with great (photography) equipment can do, Rhino!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know if it would be considered my *best* but it is certainly one of my favorites. It is one of my most recent shots as I was testing some new gear. Needless to say I love and kept the gear.
2.gif

Rhino

diffuseliteweb.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On a side note ... all my images are copyright.
2.gif
And no backlighting on this one either Gary.
2.gif
The lighting is natural diffuse daylight ala cloudy day (with a slight modification
1.gif
).

mouse

Rough_Rock
Gandolf would recognize this Precious right? .94F/vs1 in it's final home.
wavey.gif

**edited**
Shot data:
--nikon 990 in macro mode, ott-lite desklamp, no flash
--used white plastic film canister as a diffuser (cut out bottom)
--shooting straight down through diffuser opening onto ring in ring box
--black velvet lining in box

-mouse

arrows_filtered_sm2.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FRODO MY YOUNG LAD!!!

So THAT'S who *mouse* is!!!
1.gif
Absolutely stunning and GREAT SHOT!!! I'd recognize that beauty among a batch of 100!

Great to see ya here on the forums!!!

Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 10/18/2003 1:11:05 AM Rhino wrote:

I don't know if it would be considered my *best* but it is certainly one of my favorites. It is one of my most recent shots as I was testing some new gear. Needless to say I love and kept the gear.
2.gif

Rhino
----------------

Sorry Rhino - that is an absolute blow out shot - but it is plain to see there is backlight. All the little leakage fringes etc are pale or white. pavilions should be sitting in a black tray - or put black card board under your perspex seating tray.

But the depth of feild is fantastic!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sorry Rhino - that is an absolute blow out shot -

Does that mean you like it or do not like it?

but it is plain to see there is backlight.

The diamond is sitting upon a plastic reflective surface but I assure you there is no light source behind the diamond.

All the little leakage fringes etc are pale or white. pavilions should be sitting in a black tray - or put black card board under your perspex seating tray.

I'll try taking a shot with black behind the stone. I didn't know that was a prerequisite to the contest. I just though you wanted jammin pics of diamonds.

But the depth of feild is fantastic!!!

Thanks!!! Haha... actually I thought that was where the pic lacked.
1.gif
You can see with razor sharp clarity the facets by the girdle edges (pavilion and crown) but the center *eye* is slightly out of focus. A little better depth of field and I'd have the whole thing in razor sharp perspective. That's a little tough to do since this macro lens requires getting very close to the object being photographed.

So do you like or dislike? Do I need to snap off another with a black background?

Peace,
Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah I like - for an advertising shot it is fantatsic.
Does USA copyright cover Australia???
1.gif

It would be good to see what a difference the black makes
1.gif

I think some of the fire we see lower in the image is actually the reflections back into the stone of the fire that has exited the pavilion.

You can also see that the table is out of focus - but that has the illusion of drawing you "inside" the gem!!!
Better that way than having the table in focus and the culet dropped out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow this is ultimate eye candy....more more more!!

mouse, that shot is nothing short of amazing!! very detailed.

Rhino, yours is gorgeous and does draw you into the stone, almost 3d.

I don't know that I'd have anything remotely good..but I'll search around the hard drive.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
...very strange, i can see the pic that i posted earlier...(?)

i will try again later.

below, i copy & paste a pic that i noticed in one of pricescope's tread.(hope this one will be visible).

i think this is just amazing! robbe

PendantFrontView1.jpeg.jpg

robbe

Shiny_Rock
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]referrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect">/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif[/img]le="">2nd attempt for my picture...

robbe

Shiny_Rock
...sorry for it doesn't want to join the contest !!!

i'll try again later.

robbe

robbe

Shiny_Rock
ok look:

i copied the blanc image in my "2nd attempt"-post, then paste it in a word doc and it worked !!!

i just can't attach the file! can someone help? (i think i have to go back to my evening computer course!)

nice weekend to all.

robbe

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think some of the fire we see lower in the image is actually the reflections back into the stone of the fire that has exited the pavilion.

Actually it may be colored refelctions off the plastic beneath the front of the diamond. That is perhaps one of the best shots I've taken which we plan on using in our advertising. I really like it.
1.gif

You can also see that the table is out of focus - but that has the illusion of drawing you 'inside' the gem!!!
Better that way than having the table in focus and the culet dropped out.

When you gaze into that shot I have to agree. There is another we printed out on a 13x19 glossy that is identical to that shot exept no colors underneath that has the same effect and it is gorgeous.
1.gif

I'll see if I can do against black today as it is cloudy up here in NY.

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results