shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond pendant help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
hello everyone,

so one of my friends 21st birthday is in july and am planning to give her a diamond pendant but am just not sure which one is better or the size i''m picking. what i''m looking for is:

Color: D-F
Clarity: IF
Cut: Signature Ideal - Ideal
Carat: 0.30-0.32

i have been looking at Bluenile, James Allen And Diamondsonweb.

My question is how big 0.30 carat IS??? i mean i know it cant be that big as its shown in the pics but i really have no idea about them in actual vs pics.
i''m planing to spend about $1000(+/- 100) on the diamond and then theres the setting which is maybe another $350 depends on the site. i''ll be using the yellow gold setting so yeah.
i have a few links from the websites so if you can tell me which one is better and your opinions will be greatly appreciated. specially the ones from all the ladies out there, i know you guys have much better input of this kind of stuff.

Blue NIle:

http://www.bluenile.com/pendant_design.asp?filter_id=5&track=design_additem

Diamonds on web:

http://www.diamondsonweb.com/jewelry/review.mhtml?cat=11&c_gid=2&shape=\

James Allen:

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_164-781_build.asp?step=ItemComplete&cid=164

P.S. i have a $100 coupon discount from BN.

Diamondsonweb: i''m not really sure about it, i cant find any reviews about this site and also wouldnt it sound really cheap giving a gift to someone and on the box it reads diamond s on web. on all these websites i used build your own diamond pendant so yeah. you would actually think i''m crazy but some friends are well worth it and theres only one 21st bday in life. just to be clear i''m a guy and shes a girl. lol:razz:

anyways all help will be highly appreciated. also i dont have a bigger budget, lets remember i''m still in college.
thanx

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you want D-F IF? I'd definitely drop that to I SI for a pendent. It will look colorless in this size.

a .3 ct pendent will look like a dainty sparkle on her neck. (: I think it's about 4.4 mm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
IF clarity, well it will probably sound foolish but i guess i like it to be free of all the black stuff or as you may call it incursions in the diamond.

D-F color. well doesn''t other range color''s make it look dull or yellowish. i dont want its sparkle to vanish or anything.

also say if i drop the color or clarity should i go for a bigger carat or what you guys think.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A SI stone in this size, it should be relatively easy to find "clean stones," definitely no "black stuff" that''s visible to the naked eye.

I color and up will look quite colorless in this size.

Meeting your requirements on Blue Nile, I like
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-f-color-if-clarity_LD01187810#grading_report
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-f-color-if-clarity_LD01347194#grading_report

And the biggest one on BN that I like
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD01328935#grading_report

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
thanx alot jules. i like your picks and .48 carat pick u have is great, what i''m afraid of is the inclusions. yes its bigger and better but according to its report you it can be seen by unaided eyes.
dont get me wrong but i guess any seen imperfections for me, looses its value. one would say its a gift and i''m not the one wearing it but lets pretend i bought this gift for you, wouldn''t you think its another cheap rock if you can see something in it(or as i say it carbon in its natural form)even if you dont say anything to me.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says may be seen by the unaided eye. All you need to do is call and ask if you can see anything from 3 inches away (less than that is extremely uncomfortable unless you are very myopic.)

Would you feel comfortable with VS?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2008 2:49:07 PM
Author: searchneverend
thanx alot jules. i like your picks and .48 carat pick u have is great, what i'm afraid of is the inclusions. yes its bigger and better but according to its report you it can be seen by unaided eyes.
dont get me wrong but i guess any seen imperfections for me, looses its value. one would say its a gift and i'm not the one wearing it but lets pretend i bought this gift for you, wouldn't you think its another cheap rock if you can see something in it(or as i say it carbon in its natural form)even if you dont say anything to me.
In that size diamond, any inclusions could be hard to see anyway, but you do need to call and ask the rep as Julie says, and tell them your expectations concerning any visible inclusions. You might also want to verify that the pavilion or side views of the diamond are also eyeclean.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s awesome you are buying a friend such a great gift! On the clarity issue, IF is just not necessary. VS2 and up should be totally eye clean, especially when worn on the neck, not the finger. S! clarity stones are also great for any kind of jewelry but especially pendants as long as they are eye clean. You can find plenty of these, just talk to the vendor about what your definition of eye clean is. Also, many inclusions are not black spots. I have a cloud in mine that has no color. I can see it from the side of the stone but it is not black (or any other color) at all. Looks just like what it is, a cloud. But it is completely invisible from the top. Mine is a VS2 but lots of SI stones are very nice, especially since no one will see the side if it''s on a pendant. As for color, mine is an I and there is no yellow at all! Mine is 1.44 cts and color shows up even less in smaller stones. In fact if I ever do buy a pendant I will look for a J SI2 to get a bigger size and save some money since these stones make BEAUTIFUL pendants. Good luck in whatever you deicide, you have a very lucky friend
9.gif

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
i''ll go as low as vvs1 i guess. it doesnt necessarily have to be round, princess cut or any other will be just fine, what you think of this one,

BlueNile .39 carat Princess cut

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stick with round. best performers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2008 3:12:38 PM
i''ll go as low as vvs1 i guess. it doesnt necessarily have to be round, princess cut or any other will be just fine, what you think of this one,

BlueNile .39 carat Princess cut
You can''t tell much about a Princess by numbers, with the pics also it is hard to tell in this case, it looks dark to me. I would say to stick with a round.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Looks very nice and I''m sure she''ll love any of your choices. Do you know what shapes she prefers? Round brilliants outsparkle everything else but some girls prefer other shapes. And just so you know, VVS1 is not low! Very few people around here have stones with clarity that high! Try doing a search on what most girls prefer as for as clarity/color/size. You might be surprised!

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
thanx Kelli and Lorelei. this site is a life saver and all you guys are great. i been looking at BN for quite a while now and as i was looking on google i come across a review that state, bluenile does not have the diamonds with them so they cant really look at it and tell you about it but that they buy them after you place your order.

how about these ones:

bluenile .32 carat

James Allen .31 carat

Diamondsonweb .31 carat

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
no unfortunatly i dont even know if she likes diamonds but then again what girl dont like them lol. although i do know she likes jewelery, does that help. lol:razz:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is with these preset pendants, is that you can't always tell much about the all important cut quality, also they may not use such high clarity diamonds as VVS. If you like, we could perhaps find you some diamonds which may suit, then all you need to do is ask for it to be set in your solitaire setting.

And you are welcome! Also to answer your last question, I think even if a girl isn't big on jewellery, a pretty solitaire pendant is always acceptable!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Leaving for work unfortunately. Will be back tonight
25.gif

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
well those are not really preset. i used build your own diamonds pendant. so i did picked the diamond and the setting, i''m not sure if i make any sense but its not like the ones you pick already made.
theres should be a note on the side or bottom that states all about the4c''s that i choose like in this one:

.40 carat IF clarity G color from bluenile

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
thanx kell and have fun at work

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I recently got my daughter a .5 ct and had WF set it in a bezel pendant. It''s beautiful and an M I1. since it is worn around your neck it isn''t as visable as a ring. No one puts their face up to your neck to look for inclusions. And I wore my H pendant along with my daughter''s M to the Bay Area Get Together and all the PS regulars were amazed that you really couldn''t tell the difference or see much of the color. I think it''s the way it is positioned and in the shadow of your head. So you can go quite low with a pendant and as long as the cut it Ideal you are good.

So I''d look for an Ideal cut in a lower color and clarity making sure, of course that any inclusions were not visable or in the center. Then I have it set by WF for $200-$250. That leaves $700 for a stone. Blue Nile''s pendants are a little higher.

But the Ready-Set-Got pendants from WF are worth looking at. The bezel set, 0.40 ct in white gold is $890. The stones they use are very nice ideal cut and their website says they use H, S1.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2008 3:48:17 PM
well those are not really preset. i used build your own diamonds pendant. so i did picked the diamond and the setting, i''m not sure if i make any sense but its not like the ones you pick already made.
theres should be a note on the side or bottom that states all about the4c''s that i choose like in this one:

.40 carat IF clarity G color from bluenile
I am not getting the link to a diamond, just the preset pendants?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are such a nice friend to get her a lovely diamond pendant!!! Seriously G/VS2 is still super icey white and clean!!!! You won''t see a tinge of anything...and you can either save a ton of money or go bigger...I''m not lying on this one!

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
well i gotta go to college but will be back later.

and thanx everyone for all your inputs.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no angles on that G.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

honey22

Ideal_Rock
To be totally honest, you are wasting your money on IF clarity. I have a VS2 and have spent ages and ages in all kinds of lighting and I can''t see a thing. Even with a 10x loupe I can''t find the inclusions! I was dead against the SI range and not happy with VS2 until I saw several in real life and came to understand that with a good SI1 you are just not going to able to notice the inclusions and VS, well you simply can''t see them. So, please save yourself some money and drop to the VS range. VVS is really overkill too. Why pay for something you just can''t see?

G colour is going to face up very white too, so I would aim for G VS1 or VS2 if you are really concerned about clarity issues.

searchneverend

Rough_Rock
thanx honey22,
and everyone that posted above. so i guess i''ll go with G color or within near colorless range and drop it to VVS1 and i''ll see if i can get something better.

As far as its why pay more, i understand your view point but i guess it comes to the point that when u care about someone u dont think much of the price. i would happily spend another grand or 2000 but i''m also throwing her a surprise birthday party which i already paid for, although i do personally like the old man''s tale,"it''s the thought''s that count" lol:razz:. we do everything once in life sure there will many other bdays but its t memories that lasts forever.

P.S. should i get insurance for it? i mean its just a pendant and not like 10-20K some guys spending. also do i give the GIA certificate to her or how does it go. its really awkward, gee good i''m not proposing to anyone or that would have been a nightmare, lol:razz:

P.S.S. i did find out she likes white gold better but she also said they bend very easily. is there any alternate way. i know platinum is better but also more expensive, but how durable is it. i know she was talking about her rings, does it make any difference since its a pendant and not a ring.

thanx

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gold should be fine for your purposes. Yes, certainly give her the grading report, as for insurance she might be able to get it added to any existing insurance she has, or if she lives with her parents, then they might be able to cover it under contents or homeowners. I would certainly drop the clarity to VVS as you won't see any visible difference between that and IF. Even VS is a high quality clarity and should be completely eyeclean in that size, just a thought.

May I just say how sweet and thoughtful you are in trying to make this so special for her!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results