shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond peeves and LOVES

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. I don't know. She was working w/me at my accounting firm and missed Philly so much and now moved back. I miss her. She is abrasive but super sweet and such a fashionista!!!! I felt like a dork because she knew and wore brands I never heard of.

I am glad she is back in Philly and loving it. I will ask her next time.

The biggest rock I have seen in person was 3 carats. I don't think jewlery stores in ABQ,NM carry bigger than 3ct? Sundial might know. Sundial?????

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:18:25 PM
Author: diamondfan

Date: 1/21/2007 11:11:14 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 1/21/2007 11:07:35 PM

Ebree,, my whole point is that most people are not informed, and are just asking because the ring looks pretty to them or large or whatever. Again, I am fine with someone liking my ring or complimenting it, but there are just some lines that I would never cross, bling lover that I am, and if someone crosses them with me, especially when I am alone in public, it makes me uncomfortable. Exclaim away if you like my ring or think it is pretty, that is a wonderful compliment. I would just rather not go a lot further than that, because it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like to be ungracious.

If that''s how you feel, then I completely agree. It''s never cool to feel as though you should disclose something you''re not comfortable with.

ETA: ....even though I might not agree. Different strokes! Different strokes!
9.gif

Well...I was in the mall in King of Prussia with my son buying sun glasses. I am a lefty so when I signed the charge he saw my ring and SCREAMED so the entire store could hear (and they all turned around!) OH MY GOD HOW BIG IS YOUR RING IT MUST HAVE COST A FORTUNE! (this after I had to show him ID for the purchase and he saw my address). Then he told me he had worked at Zales before this and loved diamonds, so I felt a bit better, but I was thinking about walking to my car with my son in a dark parking lot...and it did make me a bit anxious...
What a lovely sounding experience.

Just a bit of info for you...the VISA merchant agreement (don''t know about mastercard) states that a merchant cannot refuse to complete the transaction because you refuse to provide ID. This is because the back of your card is supposed to be signed anyway. So if you ever feel uncomfortable with it, you don''t have to show it. Of course, plenty of people don''t know the rules and could refuse anyway (just like they are not suppose to impose a minimum amount for you to even use your visa). I just nip it in the bud and have my pic on the card when possible. When they ask for my ID, I just point to the picture.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it here too, so different from L.A. but it is fine...when I first came I did not think I would make it here, it was not my cup of tea...but I really love it and have made great friends and such...so I love it...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, I used to write "SEE PHOTO ID" on the signature line, so that no one could see my real signature and try to copy it if I lost my card...and then the merchant would have to ask for id which is an extra precaution, but I was told you HAVE to sign the back...Good to know that, because I did have a momentary little "oops" when I realized he was holding my id in his hand at the time...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:33:37 PM
TG, I used to write ''SEE PHOTO ID'' on the signature line, so that no one could see my real signature and try to copy it if I lost my card...and then the merchant would have to ask for id which is an extra precaution, but I was told you HAVE to sign the back...Good to know that, because I did have a momentary little ''oops'' when I realized he was holding my id in his hand at the time...
I don''t know why you would *have* to sign the back. My mom used to do the same thing after she had some kids steal her bills out of her mailbox and charge a bunch of stuff and she did it for years with no problems....she may even still do it. I also had a card I used for years where I never signed....I just drew a line through it. They would always be like ''you know this isn''t signed'' and I said ''yes it''s so you have to ask me for ID''. haha.

If someone told me you HAVE to sign the back, I''d be like oh are you going to make me? Are you saying you don''t want my money? LOL.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I was told by the issuer of the card that it has to be signed by the card holder to be valid, which annoyed me, because if I write see photo id, they will see both my photo and my signature, so what is the biggie? If someone else has my card, they cannot produce my photo id and charge, so I thought it was a win win situation!!! I thought I had come up with a great idea, but NO, someone had to ruin it for me...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, at least on a visa, you do HAVE to sign the card for it to be valid. It''s their rules. No one really checks sigs anymore (most people don''t know the rules) but IF the vendor takes the card and charges it, and you contest saying that your card wasn''t signed, the vendor is liable for the charge. Therefore the vendor has the right to refuse to charge your card unless it is signed. Again, most people don''t even notice.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There are places that will not accept cc if they are not signed. The Post Office is one.

It''s not a good idea to leave it blank. if someone jacks your card w/o you knowing, they can sign anything on it and nobody would know any different.

The best thing to do if you do not have a picture on the cc, is to sign it very very small, then write in bold "Check ID". I also write "check ID" w/ a permanent pen in the front.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s what I had done with a permanent marker, covering the whole signature space...but no dice!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That''s why I sign a teeny tiny signature on the corner in red, next to the huge bolded check id. That way, i''m not breaking Visa''s rules, and most clerks will still ask me for ID.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
do they even see it? I grabbed hubbys card once and used it and I am clearly not a guy, and the clerk did not even look at me or the card or the signature how heartwarming...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I mail stuff at the Post Office a lot, so I have to sign it. They refuse to accept any cc w/o a sig... i''ve seen people turned away before!

And as for the signature... someone stole my friend''s cc and used it at a bunch of places. The thief signed his own name on the back. Most of the stores just glanced at the matching signatures on the receipt and card, i guess, and let him use it. Well, my friend is a female, and Nordstroms caught it while he was trying to buy a pair of $300 shoes. Her name is Pearl, and the signature on the back said Harry something. He tried to say he''s her husband, but they asked for ID and he ran off.

So she signs her card with her own name now, along with a huge check ID scrawled across the front. That way it''ll at least be a bit harder to forge her signature if someone tries!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:09:51 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/21/2007 10:04:24 PM
I have had people ask me if it is real, or is it a real diamond, since it is large, and they just do not think it would be real. I just smile and say yes. I do not like when people ask the carat weight and the cost, I just think that is so rude to ask someone...I would personally never do that, but have been amazed at how many people WILL ask that...
I think asking cost is rude, but if a stone is so huge (as yours is), I don''t think it''s too out of line to ask how big, as long as it is politely done. I don''t know where you live, but most people haven''t seen a diamond that big in person and they are just trying to gauge what they are looking at. Am I being really off the mark here? Hm...
No, I was thinking the exact same thing. To me, price IS rude, size is not.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:19:50 PM

I edited my post because I wasn''t sure if the OP had specified a weight, but it was the general idea. Diamonds are expensive, and even though most wouldn''t admit it, they''re total status symbols and people wear them for that reason. If you like the way a sparkly rock looks on your finger, why not buy a really well-cut moissanite, or some other stone that compares to a diamond? Why spend $25,000 and then scoff at people that are curious about it? It just doesn''t make sense to me.
Hey Ebree, I politely disagree. I am so NOT into status symbols, never have been. For me, with anything and everything, I buy it because I like it, whether it''s terribly expensive, or terribly cheap.

And yes, if only I could see my ring, I would still have bought it.
5.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:27:12 PM
Author: Skippy123
Oh my goodness. I don''t know. She was working w/me at my accounting firm and missed Philly so much and now moved back. I miss her. She is abrasive but super sweet and such a fashionista!!!! I felt like a dork because she knew and wore brands I never heard of.

I am glad she is back in Philly and loving it. I will ask her next time.

The biggest rock I have seen in person was 3 carats. I don''t think jewlery stores in ABQ,NM carry bigger than 3ct? Sundial might know. Sundial?????
Well I don''t think you are going to find them very often, but my jeweler has brought some larger ones in for specific customers. I have a good friend who moved to Scottsdale and she was just here before the holidays with a friend of hers who was wearing a SIX CARAT round! Now that was some honking big stone, but I think bigger rocks are more common there than what you typically see in New Mexico.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 7:11:23 AM
Author: Ellen

Diamonds are expensive, and even though most wouldn''t admit it, they''re total status symbols and people wear them for that reason. If you like the way a sparkly rock looks on your finger, why not buy a really well-cut moissanite, or some other stone that compares to a diamond?
Hey Ebree, I politely disagree. I am so NOT into status symbols, never have been. For me, with anything and everything, I buy it because I like it, whether it''s terribly expensive, or terribly cheap.

And yes, if only I could see my ring, I would still have bought it.
5.gif
Must agree with Ellen here.....I don''t wear my diamond because I want a status symbol. I don''t even SEE it as a status symbol! How can it be a status symbol when nearly every person who is married wears one (at least here in the U.S.)

I wear it because it pleases *me*....and because it was given to me as a promise of my (now) husband''s love. That''s what it means to me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forte, I had a friend in college who told me with a straight face that she left it blank so no one could forge her signature...when I pointed out that then they could just sign her name in their writing and it would match perfectly, she got a shocked look on her face...it had not occured to her that that could happen!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 1/21/2007 10:16:48 PM

OK, maybe not two carat, but I would happily pay what we paid for my one carat even if no one were to ever see it. I love it and that''s what matters.

However, I do see your point. I mean, people can''t drive a ferrari around and expect it not to be a conversation starter to some degree. If you are uncomfortable with that, you need to stick with a ford...

I edited my post because I wasn''t sure if the OP had specified a weight, but it was the general idea. Diamonds are expensive, and even though most wouldn''t admit it, they''re total status symbols and people wear them for that reason. If you like the way a sparkly rock looks on your finger, why not buy a really well-cut moissanite, or some other stone that compares to a diamond? Why spend $25,000 and then scoff at people that are curious about it? It just doesn''t make sense to me.

Gary Cut Nut just said diamonds do well in America because we value wealth. Interesting. This in his live discussion about diamond markets.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh, I totally hear ya all about the touching your diamonds, and the cz question!! Yesterday I was working at my one day a week jewellery job and three... yes THREE women, in one day, asked if my ring was zirconia, and not only did one lady do that but planted her big, FAT, greasy sausage finger right on top of my newly polished Ering!! (OK, so maybe I''m being a bit precious, but I find it quite offensive
38.gif
). Look with your eyes, not with your hands!!! Before I''d even had a chance to reply to once such rude question, one lady even proceeded to tell me I look far too young to own a diamond ring of that size and quality. (?!) She actually said that!!! Yowza, for all she knows I could secretly be married to the Sultan of Brunei!! HONESTLY.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dandi, I think that sort of proves the point about making assumptions...what if you were married to the owner''s son or was the owner''s daughter or it was an heirloom? I hate when people assume stuff and act jerky...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with you, diamonfan!! And this woman actually huffed and giggled a bit (a "yeah right" sort of reply) when I told her they were diamonds. I repeated myself and she said "oh...". That was it!
38.gif
Sheesh.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people will always jump to conclusions based on appearance or age. The bottom line is: You know what you have and it doesn''t matter what anyone else thinks.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
*shameful confession time*

Back when I used to spend time on DiamondTalk, and there was much discussion about simulants, I blurted out a big faux-pas in real life. I guess there was so much talk about czs, and so many pictures of really beautiful settings w/ czs --- even one poster who said she from LA and was looking for a realistic 5 carat cz so she could keep up with her crowd''s 10 to 15 carat diamonds -- that I forgot that real life was not a diamond forum! I was at the check-out line at Linens ''n Things and the cashier had a beautiful sparkly engagement ring. I ''complimented'' her on it by saying "Oh, what a *beautiful* ring, is that REAL?" Right after I said it I couldn''t believe I just said it! She opened her mouth to say something and I quickly said, "I can''t believe I just said that! You''re ring really is gorgeous." And then I promptly took my stuff and ran away.

At least I didn''t put a fingerprint on it. (hangs head in shame)

I don''t think the ''size'' question is appropriate. When regular people (not diamond forum people) ask what size a diamond is, I think it''s usually their way of trying to gauge the cost of the diamond without coming out and asking.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 9:04:01 AM
Author: Maria D
*shameful confession time*

Back when I used to spend time on DiamondTalk, and there was much discussion about simulants, I blurted out a big faux-pas in real life. I guess there was so much talk about czs, and so many pictures of really beautiful settings w/ czs --- even one poster who said she from LA and was looking for a realistic 5 carat cz so she could keep up with her crowd''s 10 to 15 carat diamonds -- that I forgot that real life was not a diamond forum! I was at the check-out line at Linens ''n Things and the cashier had a beautiful sparkly engagement ring. I ''complimented'' her on it by saying ''Oh, what a *beautiful* ring, is that REAL?'' Right after I said it I couldn''t believe I just said it! She opened her mouth to say something and I quickly said, ''I can''t believe I just said that! You''re ring really is gorgeous.'' And then I promptly took my stuff and ran away.

At least I didn''t put a fingerprint on it. (hangs head in shame)

I don''t think the ''size'' question is appropriate. When regular people (not diamond forum people) ask what size a diamond is, I think it''s usually their way of trying to gauge the cost of the diamond without coming out and asking.
lol At least you kinda made up for it.
2.gif

As for asking the size, some might do it to guage cost, but I don''t think all. I got engaged with a VERY small stone. Most of my friends and family did too. My one SIL only had a gold band, as there was no money when they got married. She put her hubby through dental school, and then onto Orthodontics. When the money started flowing, he bought her a rock. Now, around here, most will not ask anything, even though one wants to know.

When I saw her ring, my eyes bugged, and I was dying to know how big it was, but didn''t dare ask. Had I, it would not have been to figure out how much it cost, I still would have had no clue, except to guage a LOT, as NOW I can guesstimate at about 2.25.
9.gif
It simply would have been to see how big it was.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Well...I was in the mall in King of Prussia with my son buying sun glasses. I am a lefty so when I signed the charge he saw my ring and SCREAMED so the entire store could hear (and they all turned around!) OH MY GOD HOW BIG IS YOUR RING IT MUST HAVE COST A FORTUNE! (this after I had to show him ID for the purchase and he saw my address). Then he told me he had worked at Zales before this and loved diamonds, so I felt a bit better, but I was thinking about walking to my car with my son in a dark parking lot...and it did make me a bit anxious...

I''d be annoyed by that, too. It''s kind of unprofessional. I''m surprised you encountered that in KOP. I see honkers there every time I go.

And people think I''m crazy for not wearing my huge e-ring anymore. The attention was so not cool. The assumptions people think they can make about your life based on a piece of jewelry... what happened to tact? It was horrible for me, because I''m a very non-attention seeking person.

I don''t think it''s about status, at least not for me. I don''t wear most of my jewelry out. I wear it around the house to please me. Just like how people fill their homes with beautiful things and art, knowing very few people but them will actually see it.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:18:25 PM

Date: 1/21/2007 11:11:14 PM

Date: 1/21/2007 11:07:35 PM

Ebree,, my whole point is that most people are not informed, and are just asking because the ring looks pretty to them or large or whatever. Again, I am fine with someone liking my ring or complimenting it, but there are just some lines that I would never cross, bling lover that I am, and if someone crosses them with me, especially when I am alone in public, it makes me uncomfortable. Exclaim away if you like my ring or think it is pretty, that is a wonderful compliment. I would just rather not go a lot further than that, because it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like to be ungracious.

If that''s how you feel, then I completely agree. It''s never cool to feel as though you should disclose something you''re not comfortable with.

ETA: ....even though I might not agree. Different strokes! Different strokes!
9.gif

He could have very well put you in danger. Did you ever speak to any of the managers at the store about it?

If someone asked me what it cost I would probably ask if they were in the market for a diamond and just point them to PS. I don''t mind if they ask how big it is, either, but if they made a snide remark like "How much did that set you back?" that''s different.

I guess I could add this to my peeves: assumptions people make about you because of the diamond on your left finger. Negative attention. When I had my pear diamond I went through the drive thru at McD''s for a drink and the girl at the window snarled out a "Must be NICE!" at me. I was so taken aback and then angry. I hate to admit it, but it did dampen my enjoyment of it when things like that happened.

And I have to agree and disagree at the same time with you, Ebree. To a certain degree a diamond is a status symbol, and many of us would welcome bigger and better, but not necessarily to show off. I just really love to look at my diamond. I do enjoy compliments, but I don''t want my ring to inspire jealousy or other negative things.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 6:10:46 PM
Author: lumpkin

I guess I could add this to my peeves: assumptions people make about you because of the diamond on your left finger. Negative attention. When I had my pear diamond I went through the drive thru at McD''s for a drink and the girl at the window snarled out a ''Must be NICE!'' at me. I was so taken aback and then angry. I hate to admit it, but it did dampen my enjoyment of it when things like that happened.
OK, this actually made me chuckle - dunno..funny mental picture I guess. Wow...bitter bitter bitter. This person sounds like a horrible character in a movie...flipping fast food burgers and feeling like the whole world against her. It wouldn''t dampen my enjoyment, but it would sure make me wonder about some people in this world. Sorry it dampened your spirits though...

E B

Ideal_Rock

And I have to agree and disagree at the same time with you, Ebree. To a certain degree a diamond is a status symbol, and many of us would welcome bigger and better, but not necessarily to show off. I just really love to look at my diamond. I do enjoy compliments, but I don't want my ring to inspire jealousy or other negative things.

I completely agree; I love my diamond. I look at it all the time. It's amazing. But the fact is, diamonds are status symbols whether an individual feels they are or not. You wear a big honkin' diamond, and people are going to think, "wow, that must have cost a ton." And I think more people enjoy that feeling than will admit it, which is fine.

It's the same with designer bags and clothes, too. Do girls wear sweatpants with "JUICY" on the butt because they're of higher quality than sweatpants that aren't as well known? Please. Do women carry Louis Vuitton bags because of the way they're made and that reason alone? Sure.
20.gif

Feeling pride (or loving compliments) when someone notices something you have isn't awful, and that's all I was saying. I personally wouldn't care if someone came up and asked about my diamond's every detail. That's me. You don't feel that way? That's you (I don't mean you, lumpkin, I mean the collective you!). But it doesn't change the fact that diamonds are known to be expensive and thus, are status symbols.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 6:14:44 PM

I guess I could add this to my peeves: assumptions people make about you because of the diamond on your left finger. Negative attention. When I had my pear diamond I went through the drive thru at McD''s for a drink and the girl at the window snarled out a ''Must be NICE!'' at me. I was so taken aback and then angry. I hate to admit it, but it did dampen my enjoyment of it when things like that happened.
OK, this actually made me chuckle - dunno..funny mental picture I guess. Wow...bitter bitter bitter. This person sounds like a horrible character in a movie...flipping fast food burgers and feeling like the whole world against her. It wouldn''t dampen my enjoyment, but it would sure make me wonder about some people in this world. Sorry it dampened your spirits though...

Well, she did look like that character, as I remember! A very embittered, disgruntled sort of person -- unhappy and needing to spread the feeling. And way, way too young to be that way. Barely an adult.

BTW, I love your signature line.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that would have caught me off gaurd for a second, but quickly recovering I would have said, It is, thanks!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results