shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Patent Application: High Yield Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
United States Patent Application: 20030188551

High Yield Diamond

Patenting in diamond cutting is flourishing in the last few years. Many companies including Tiffany and Hearts on Fire try to patent their exclusive designs.

This particular application is interesting because it claims improving yield by adding extra pavilion facets and therefore make the stone heavier (more expensive?). Good example when extra facets not equal to better looking diamond.

I like their Description of the Prior Art, however, and especially this paragraph
[0013] Today's diamond consumer is typically a highly discriminating and well educated shopper, looking for the highest value out of his or her investment. At the same time, the diamond supplier wants to obtain the highest yield from a given piece of rough. Currently, 10%-50% retention is good for a brilliant cut diamond. Since the price per carat increases exponentially in proportion to the carat weight of a particular stone, it is highly desirable to increase the yield, and conversely decrease the waste, from a given rough. The same light and dispersion can be obtained at less cost through weight retention during the faceting process.

highyield.gif

highyield.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
this is a normal round brilliant to approx the proportions of the picture Leonid posted.

leakage = .11 and light return = .64

Lowest scores i have ever calculated on DiamCalc!

Anyone good with GemCad who can make us more accurate a model we can import into DiamCalc?

High yeilding diamond.jpg

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Is cut nut a deleted user? What does that mean? It wont show now but before it said "last reply by deleted user"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow interesting diagrams Leo. That is one incredibly deep diamond!!!

That DiamCalc image is very beautiful in a red and white sort of way. A round brilliant cut like that seemingly wouldn't even look like a round brilliant..what would it look like? A pretty leaky flower?
cry.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Garry, it is just a diagram. However, one can try to add extra layer of facets into ideal cut round.

mikko

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I´ve been lurking here almost a year so it´s finally time to post something
1.gif

Fig.9 and fig.10 are not the same stone. One can easily see that when comparing lower pavilion facet sizes. Here is best simulation i can create with gemcad & gemcalc. It´s seems that there really is possiblity to "invent" quite decent deep cuts, but who really needs this hidden weight?

It would be nice to see this patent approved. I feel safe when i know in the future there can be only one source for sapphirelike diamond cuts
1.gif

Light return .98 (Very Good)
Leakage .75 (Good)
Contrast 1.25 (Excellent)
Fish eye 1.0 (Very Good)

highyield2_1.jpg

highyield2_2.jpg

highyield2_4.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Tervetuloa Mikko.
21.gif
This is one great simulation! I see you've been practicing with DiamCalc for quite a wile
appl.gif

----------------
... but who really needs this hidden weight?
----------------
I think you know the answer
3.gif

Btw, as far as minä muistaan Suomen kieli, you site is very nice
1.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re:
"
Fig.9 and fig.10 are not the same stone. One can easily see that when comparing lower pavilion facet sizes. Here is best simulation i can create with gemcad & gemcalc. It´s seems that there really is possiblity to 'invent' quite decent deep cuts, but who really needs this hidden weight? "

Hi, Mikko

Well done.

Did you mean gemcad&gemcalc&gemadviser or gemcad&diamcalc ?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mikko,
Could you post IS gemcalc image for incline position?

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Moi Mikko!

Looks like the new cut has some benefits. Little fine tuning and it will beat the Ideal cut
1.gif

Awesome work with GemCad and GemCalc!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
1.gif

Welcome to Pricescope! There is one question I kept in storage for far too long now, waiting for a true Finnish answer: what is (has been) happening with the diamond deposits in Finaland? There are not too many of those in good-old-Europe, you know... will we ever have nicely labeled Fin Diamonds like the Canadians do? I will be spending winter in Finland...by the way
2.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 11/15/2003 10:29:30 AM valeria101 wrote:

........ "The greatest experts are only as good as the sum total of what they have seen." [Souren Melikian]
2.gif
----------------

He lives in the cave, but his intellectual power let him infer the existence of an ocean from the existence of water drop.
Approximate quotation from "The Waves Still the Wind" novel of Strugatskie brothers.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
In the end wouldn't it be priced like other similar-yield fancy shapes and not like a RB ideal?

mikko

Rough_Rock
Garry, i hope you received mail

I ment gemcad&gemcalc&gemadviser. Does it give different results for light return & leakage?

We have a small diamond company A&G Mining in Kaavi, northern Karelia district. I visited the mine last june. They are developing kimberilite consentration methods together with a large mini ngcompany Outokumpu, and only couple of sample runs have been made so far. Diamonds are relatively small.

They have no english pages, but nice pic from the pipe before opening:

http://www.timantti.info

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Mikko.

You are right Sergey - there is a large amount of leakage when the stone is tilted slightly (as seen from each eye).

But the light return is still good when tilted.

High yeilding diamond DC.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 11/14/2003 3:21:37 PM leonid wrote:

Patenting in diamond cutting is flourishing in the last few years. Many companies including Tiffany and Hearts on Fire try to patent their exclusive designs.

----------------

"Many" is an understatement. The USPTO has issued about 200 cut patents since 2000. I would say somewhat less than half have been put on the market.

Most of those cuts will go nowhere--there isn't enough room in the jewelry market for 200 different diamond brands. IMO, this one is dead on arrival. Even the diagrams are ugly--I can't imagine what the stone must look like.
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would this stone have a dark table? Visually be more like a 'shallow' RB?

Welcome Mikko...wow..lurking for a year--that's a very long time to be silent!
rolleyes.gif

Andreyy

Rough_Rock
Dear Mikko,

You can get free conversion from GemCalc to DiamCalc. We hope that this will make your investigations more easy and you will have more time to publish your conclusions in forum.
Please contact to me by e-mail [email protected].

Andrey Aleshin,
OctoNus

mikko

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Andrey
21.gif

I promise it will give hard time to MyComputer's processor
Up_to_something.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results