shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nouveau

Rough_Rock
Hello! I have a loose diamond that my husband has just bought. I was wondering what you guys thought:

Size: 1.73
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 43%.....oops....Pavilion there...
20.gif
REAL Depth: 60.6%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle and %: 34.5, 14.5%
Pavilion Angle and %: 40.8, 43%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Measurements: 7.74 x 7.78 x 4.70 mm
What Laboratory issued the grading report: GIA
HCA: Ex-Ex-Ex-VG 1.4
AGA: 1A on everything
Price: $13,700

Is this a fair price? Thanks!
21.gif

ETA: corrected depth & added "Blue"

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Can you check the depth measurement please? Assuming the depth is wrong, this diamond looks good, also make sure the fluorescence is blue and being strong has no adverse affect on the diamond, which is rare anyway. Sometimes strong fluorescence can make a diamond look oily or milky in some lights, but this is rare
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Diamond seems very nice, price - exceptional.

Have you checked here yourself?

Nouveau

Rough_Rock
Lorelei - Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for the mistaken depth quote. *blush* He''s getting it today, so we will definitely be checking out the fluorescence. My fingers are crossed that it doesn''t effect it, because we both really like the photos we''ve seen here of fluorescence!

Regular Guy - I corrected that and the fluorescence to "Strong Blue".

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I had actually searched out some diamonds with the link you gave, Regular Guy, but didn''t think about being really specific with the specs so I could compare prices. Too early in the morning when I posted, I guess.
24.gif

There is so much great information here. When you''re new and trying to keep it straight, sometimes it all runs together and you forget where you saw what.
4.gif

Thank you, Pricescope, for making my 10th anniversary present....not just AMAZING, but Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

We couldn''t have done it without you.
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your nice words about Pricescope, it is a great place to be! Hehehe...it is easily done with the measurements, but the main thing is to trust your eyes and it sounds like you have found your rock! With the new depth measurement, I bet this diamond looks absolutely spiffing!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Congrats on your 10th anniversary and we would love some pics of the ROCK when you are able!
35.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 11:00:37 AM
Author: Nouveau
I had actually searched out some diamonds with the link you gave, Regular Guy, but didn''t think about being really specific with the specs so I could compare prices. Too early in the morning when I posted, I guess.
24.gif
Using the big search, if you only constrain (roughly) for size (1.7 - 1.8...nothing near was found on the search by cut infobase), and nail both color & clarity...I think you''ll see loads of options...going up to $20K, but none as attractively priced as yours. Frequently, Florescence can assist in providing a discount...and the thinking here is that that discount is based on a traditional misunderstanding about its effects, yielding a net good result for the buyer.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
P.S. Re the above...that's based on 130 options. Remember to do constrain for GIA only. Ignore those 11 hits you get in you include "other, yielding options with less well regarded certificates...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table is *slightly* large, but the numbers look fine and performance shouldn''t be a problem. Why is it so cheap??

Nouveau

Rough_Rock
I thought it was because of the strong fluorescence, but I don''t know that for sure.

We''re definitely going to get it checked out to verify that everything is what it''s supposed to be and cover our bases.

I haven''t ever taken pictures of a diamond before, but I''ll give it a whirl and see if I can get something worth posting in the next couple of days.

Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2007 8:15:35 PM
Author: Nouveau
I thought it was because of the strong fluorescence, but I don''t know that for sure.

We''re definitely going to get it checked out to verify that everything is what it''s supposed to be and cover our bases.

I haven''t ever taken pictures of a diamond before, but I''ll give it a whirl and see if I can get something worth posting in the next couple of days.

Thanks again!

That is possibly the reason for the price. Try using macro mode on your camera ( flower icon) and no flash when photographing, also keep the ring and camera as still as possible, a tripod is good if you have one. Expect that out of every 100 pics, only 1 or 2 might be good! Diamond photography isn''t easy!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 5:41:58 AM
Author: Lorelei

That is possibly the reason for the price. Try using macro mode on your camera ( flower icon) and no flash when photographing, also keep the ring and camera as still as possible, a tripod is good if you have one. Expect that out of every 100 pics, only 1 or 2 might be good! Diamond photography isn''t easy!
Ditto!

And outside (not with the sun shining right on it), or at least by a window, will produce a better pic too.

Can''t wait to see it!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I am a little worried that the price may be a bit too good - I wouldn''t expect that big of a discount (several thousand dollars) on a G stone with fluoro just based on having fluoro alone - please make sure to look carefully to make sure that the fluoro is not actually negatively affecting the stone which is what I an concerned about - look at it indoors and outdoors and in indirect sunlight to make sure you do not see an oily or hazy appearance. Hopefully my concern is unfounded and you are getting a killer deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results