shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kaisert

Rough_Rock
I was hoping that I could get some opinions on a diamond that I am looking to buy.

It is a 1.03ct princess cut vvs2 h 5.46*5.15*4.19
depth is 81.4% table 73%
girdle extremely thin to thick
culet none
polish good
symmetry good
fluorescence none

price $3700

Also, the setting I would like to put it in is going to look similar to the setting in this link http://www.natalia-diamonds.com/Engagement-Rings/Engagement-Ring_ItemTag_ER-126.aspx does anybody have any pics that are simlar to this setting I cant seen to find any.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Mike

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 1:19:01 PM
Author:kaisert
I was hoping that I could get some opinions on a diamond that I am looking to buy.

It is a 1.03ct princess cut vvs2 h 5.46*5.15*4.19
depth is 81.4% table 73%
girdle extremely thin to thick
culet none
polish good
symmetry good
fluorescence none

price $3700

Also, the setting I would like to put it in is going to look similar to the setting in this link http://www.natalia-diamonds.com/Engagement-Rings/Engagement-Ring_ItemTag_ER-126.aspx does anybody have any pics that are simlar to this setting I cant seen to find any.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Mike
Hi Mike and welcome!

To be honest you can do better, the diamond is cut very deep and will look small for the weight, and along with the girdle there is a lot of variance between ex thin to thick, plus the ex thin area would need careful evaluation to make sure it isn't a durability issue. This isn't always the case but best to check. I would keep looking if I were you. Have you seen the diamond in person or is it with an online vendor?

Does the diamond have a GIA report also? Just to let you know unless you prefer VVS clarity you can drop to VS without visual sacrifice if the cut is good. It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so that is crucial to find one which is well cut and crafted.

kaisert

Rough_Rock
I was also concerned about the depth on this stone. The stone is gia certified. Does anyone have any recomendations on where I could buy a quality princess cut online?

kaisert

Rough_Rock
I have not seen the diamond yet but I will soon.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kaisert

Rough_Rock
what do you think about a 1.00ct princess cut d-color si1 ideal cut
depth 74 table 75

$3900 egl certified

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 5:35:02 PM
Author: kaisert
what do you think about a 1.00ct princess cut d-color si1 ideal cut
depth 74 table 75

$3900 egl certified
No way to tell without detailed photos and ASET images, can you get these? Which EGL lab also please? You would need to check very carefully that this diamond is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2009 1:23:37 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Mike and welcome!

To be honest you can do better, the diamond is cut very deep and will look small for the weight, and along with the girdle there is a lot of variance between ex thin to thick, plus the ex thin area would need careful evaluation to make sure it isn''t a durability issue. This isn''t always the case but best to check. I would keep looking if I were you. Have you seen the diamond in person or is it with an online vendor?

Does the diamond have a GIA report also? Just to let you know unless you prefer VVS clarity you can drop to VS without visual sacrifice if the cut is good. It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so that is crucial to find one which is well cut and crafted.
It is not often that I have to correct Lorelei. And most of what she writes here, is absolutely correct.

Only the statement about the depth is somewhat incorrect. Let us look at the dimensions of the diamond in question:
diameter 1: 5.46
diameter 2: 5.15
depth: 4.19
The depth-percentage of 81.4% is the depth related to the smallest diameter, in this case 4.19 divided by 5.15 is 81.4%.

The rectangular side of the diamond is completely disregarded in this percentage-calculation. It could just as well be something different than 5.46 mm, say 5.15 for a square stone, or 5.80 for a very rectangular stone, the depth-percentage remains 81.4%.

In this case, despite the high percentage, there is some ''free'' surface-area in the long diameter on one side. This does not make it an OK-stone though, since all other things Lorelei said are absolutely correct.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 8:07:00 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 2/24/2009 1:23:37 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Mike and welcome!

To be honest you can do better, the diamond is cut very deep and will look small for the weight, and along with the girdle there is a lot of variance between ex thin to thick, plus the ex thin area would need careful evaluation to make sure it isn''t a durability issue. This isn''t always the case but best to check. I would keep looking if I were you. Have you seen the diamond in person or is it with an online vendor?

It is not often that I have to correct Lorelei. And most of what she writes here, is absolutely correct.

Only the statement about the depth is somewhat incorrect. Let us look at the dimensions of the diamond in question:
diameter 1: 5.46
diameter 2: 5.15
depth: 4.19
The depth-percentage of 81.4% is the depth related to the smallest diameter, in this case 4.19 divided by 5.15 is 81.4%.

The rectangular side of the diamond is completely disregarded in this percentage-calculation. It could just as well be something different than 5.46 mm, say 5.15 for a square stone, or 5.80 for a very rectangular stone, the depth-percentage remains 81.4%.

In this case, despite the high percentage, there is some ''free'' surface-area in the long diameter on one side. This does not make it an OK-stone though, since all other things Lorelei said are absolutely correct.

Live long,
Paul, I always appreciate your expert input particularly when it comes to the advice I give, thank you!!
35.gif

kaisert

Rough_Rock
the dealer said that it is 100% eye clean and it comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee. Also, I failed to include the dimensions in the original post.....5.52*5.42*4.04

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The second stone *could* be promising (it''s a lot more square and faces up as big as a 1ct princess should), but there''s really no way to tell if it''s well cut or not without detailed photos. Looks like you''ll have to rely on your own eyes for this one. The best tool for assessing princess light return is the ASET scope; however, very few B&M stores have these on hand. Ask if they have access to an Idealscope and read the PS tutorial on it. Also, make sure it''s eye-clean, and know that EGL tends to be soft on color/clarity, so that if GIA were to grade it, it might come back as an E-F SI2-I1. Regarding clarity, just make sure it''s eye-clean to your standards. The price certainly looks very reasonable for a 1ct D.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 6:14:23 PM
Author: jstarfireb
The second stone *could* be promising (it''s a lot more square and faces up as big as a 1ct princess should), but there''s really no way to tell if it''s well cut or not without detailed photos. Looks like you''ll have to rely on your own eyes for this one. The best tool for assessing princess light return is the ASET scope; however, very few B&M stores have these on hand. Ask if they have access to an Idealscope and read the PS tutorial on it. Also, make sure it''s eye-clean, and know that EGL tends to be soft on color/clarity, so that if GIA were to grade it, it might come back as an E-F SI2-I1. Regarding clarity, just make sure it''s eye-clean to your standards. The price certainly looks very reasonable for a 1ct D.
Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results