shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond off internet set at local jeweler????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I think I found a diamond that I am going to buy from the internet, but I am considering having a local jeweler set the stone for me. There are a couple of reasons for this. 1)I would like to see the diamond unset myself before I make the final decision thus I would need the e-jeweler to send it to me loose. 2)By having a local jeweler set the stone I will have a place to go for setting repairs, and cleanings.

My concerns are that sometimes (as I've been told) there can be mishaps in setting the diamond and the diamond could get damaged. I do plan on getting insurance on the stone even before it is shipped. But, in the unfortunate event that the stone was damaged in any way, while being set, what would you do? Complain to the jeweler setting the stone, the e-jeweler who sold you the stone, or have the insurance company cover it?

Any comments on the topic would be appreciated greatly. Also if anyone knows of other potential problems I may have with this situation please let me know.

Thanks
cnuddeje

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Any repair or service work is undertaken at your risk. You are basically gambling on the ability of the person you are giving the ring to. They cannot be expected to cover the value of stones worth thousands of dollars when they are only charging tens of dollars to set it. Especially if they didn't sell the diamond. This is what the courts have traditionally decided in these kind of cases.

That's where insurance comes in...

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

mrmarius

Rough_Rock
About insurance, all I hear is that insurance companies will not insure loose stones... they need to be set. Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results