shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond not centered between prongs-James Allen

takomaparker

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I just received my engagement ring from James Allen and it seems a bit off to me. It doesn't seem to be centered between the prongs. I brought this up to them and they said that it would not be able to be centered due to the girdle? I'm including the ring specs below and a photo. Am I crazy to think that it should be more centered?

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.81
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.04*6.06*3.64

L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 60.20
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 58.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 33.50
CROWN %: 13.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.80

PAVILION %: 43.00

diamond_4.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same complaint about mine (different vendor), after I requested repeatedly that it be centered. Bugs the ever lovin' out of me.

I don't know about your stone, but if JA says it can't be centered, then I guess they aren't willing to try. I like my "arrows" to be at 12 and 6 or at the least 11 and 1. Others have done it, why can't they?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
takomaparker|1458553210|4008824 said:
Hi all,
I just received my engagement ring from James Allen and it seems a bit off to me. It doesn't seem to be centered between the prongs. I brought this up to them and they said that it would not be able to be centered due to the girdle? I'm including the ring specs below and a photo. Am I crazy to think that it should be more centered?
I don't understand the "girdle" explanation from JA either, perhaps you can ask them to elaborate? Generally though, it is not a good idea to un-mount, or semi un-mount a stone once set, because if not done properly, the integrity of the prongs could be affected. But if you are THAT bothered by it and JA refuses to re-orient the stone, you can always find a reputable local jeweler who might be able to do it for you.

takomaparker

Rough_Rock
I spoke with a manager and it's apparently not impossible, but could damage the prongs or head assembly. I'm going to wait until I send it back to have it cleaned to have them attempt it. It's not super urgent, but I'd love to have it oriented in a symmetrical way. I'm probably just being anal. :saint:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I specifically had mine set (by JA) to hide an SI2 inclusion so it is not symmetrical. I am kind of anal myself, but did it for this specific reason. At first, I did notice it, but that didn't last long and I actually really just notice the sparkly diamond. So, my suggestion is to give it some time and if it still bothers you when you send it in next, ask for the change.

Beautiful ring!!! Enjoy!!! =)

SarasaFiore

Rough_Rock
CareBear|1458568584|4008883 said:
takomaparker|1458553210|4008824 said:
Hi all,
I don't understand the "girdle" explanation from JA either, perhaps you can ask them to elaborate? Generally though, it is not a good idea to un-mount, or semi un-mount a stone once set, because if not done properly, the integrity of the prongs could be affected. But if you are THAT bothered by it and JA refuses to re-orient the stone, you can always find a reputable local jeweler who might be able to do it for you.

I agree! I didn't like the way my ring turned out but when I contacted the original jeweler that set the diamond for me, they said they wouldn't set it the way I wanted due to a higher risk of losing the diamond. I tried two or three jewelers and they all couldn't fix it for me, but I finally found a very trustworthy and reputable jeweler that fixed up my engagement ring exactly how I wanted it to be! It was a hassle, but if it's for something you're going to wear for the rest of your life and if it bothers you a lot, I suggest what CareBear said to do and find a reputable local jeweler that will do it for you!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unless there is a feather or a natural or some inclusion on the girdle where one of those prongs would need to be, I don't think the argument that they can't turn the stone because of the girdle makes any sense. I've had stones loosen in heads like that and then re-tightened. I've had wonky-symmetry ones turned immediately after the ring was made, which would mean loosening up the prongs just enough and then rotating the stone and re-tightening the prongs again. And then I've worn those same rings for years, like maybe going on 10 years now, with no problems whatsoever. I should think any good bench could manage to turn that diamond without damaging the ring. No jeweler I have ever dealt with thought it was a problem or a risk. Maybe JA doesn't want to do it because of the way the prongs have been filed to fine claws?

But a structural issue with the girdle would be another issue altogether.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results