shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond newbie: by how much did I overpay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulB

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a necklace with diamond pendant (.577ct/round/H&A/ideal/VVS2/H/AGS cert). Based on the average prices I dug up here, I seem to have paid my local jewler by ~$700 compared to internet prices. I don't mind paying a little more to my local merchant but this seems excessive (price was $2,700 + necklace + tax).I understand that the net prices are just for the diamond itself, so how much should be factored in for setting the diamond into a pendant? How much should be factored in to support one's local merchant? What I'm trying to figure out is by how much I really overpaid, if at all.Thanks in advance for any information.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi PaulB,You are right, Internet price for such a stone would be about $2,000.As for the necklace, I would compare prices at Blue Nile and Mondera for the similar type of necklace. For example, 18 karat necklace with 0.3 carat diamond cost $725 at Blue Nile. But this can vary because of metal, style, size, etc. of the neclace.I hope jewelry experts will give their opinion too.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Moediamond,Interestingly, I found Mondera prices for the loose diamonds quite low right now especially since it is credit card prices. Could you please give a ballpark figure for the necklace settings as in the Paul's question? I simply don't know the answer since I'm not a jeweler. So I recommended checking out their prices for the settings, which cannot be too much high.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Please don't ever compare prices to Ashford, Blue Nile or Mondera. These are extremely high prices and if you pay that high or more, you're paying way to much.
Please contact an independant jeweler.
Thank you. Maurice, Graduate Gemmologist/Diamond Dealer

bacon

Rough_Rock
If ya post a picture of the setting we will have a chance to help.to try to evaluate a "pendant" is a bit vauge.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ellibaby,I don't think it's a hook - some of the listed diamonds are in stock and you could get them overnight. It seems more like very aggressive price strategy. Another question is whether it can be profitable...
smile.gif

ellibaby

Rough_Rock
Interestingly, I, too, found prices of Mondera`s loose diamonds quite a "bargain". It might be the "hook" to get customers to buy there and then charge more for the setting??? (Just guessing!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results