shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond mixup--wrong cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcgent

Rough_Rock
Here''s a story that may convince folks to get an appraisal:
So, as suggested here and elsewhere, I took the 1.04 G, SI GIA diamond I bought for an e-ring to a local appraiser this Saturday. When she got around to comparing it to the GIA certificate, she began to look puzzled and eventually said that the diamond I had did not match the cert! Talk about a shock. The stone was a very close match--1.04 G/H, SI1, but the inclusion map was all wrong and the dept measurement a bit off. We called the jeweler who was shocked and confused. As the appraiser looked at the girdle, she finally noticed it had GIA # inscribed and it was different than the cert # I had. In any case, I''ve taken the stone back to the jeweler and they''re getting the correct cert before I decide whether to keep the stone. It''s cut may actually be a bit better than the one listed on the mystery cert and the appraiser still thinks I got a good deal. The jeweler has offered to pay for any followup appraisals. The episode has been disconcerting but hopefully not a disatster. We''ll see what the new cert says.

dcgent

Rough_Rock
Oh, I should add the appraiser thinks the cert and stones were mixed up at the cutters and she doesn't think the jeweler was trying to pull a fast one since the stone I have doesn't seem inferior.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Always pays to get an independent verification!

Good Luck getting the issue settled. Hopefully in your favor!
1.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Or use a jeweler that is more aware of what they are selling!

simonnessen

Rough_Rock
Actually, the same exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and Martain Fuller caught the descrepency. I am in the process of dealing with the store. The diamond I got was actually much better in the cut than the cert, but the color was one grade lower. Just wondering, is this an illegal practice by the store, You can never prove they tried to switch the stones because they told me (like you) that it happened at the lab where it was certified. The store got real defensive when I brought it to their attention. In my case I want to keep the stone but get the right cert. or some money back would be nice. Is it breaking the law to sell a cert. that doesnt go with a stone.

Simon

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Simon. There's no law against making a mistake, which is far and away the usual scenario. In your case, if I remember correctly, you're getting a more valuable stone than what was originally represented to you.

Why would you be looking for them to give you "money back"?

simonnessen

Rough_Rock
Rich, your right about the money back. I got a sarin report today from a friends store, and here are the specs. on the diamond I kept. The jeweler is looking the the right cert. Do you still like the cut, and also can you run one of the simulated b-scopes for me thanks, simon

crown angle 33.6
crown ht. 14
pav. angle 40.9
pav. depth 43
culet .3
table size 57.3
depth 60.1
girdle .9-1.9
diameter 8.21-8.24

Also, I looked through the Hearts and arrows viewer at the store, and it looked incredible. The store said the cut was not ideal, more like a one, and the HCA was .9. They showed me a hearts on fire diamond in the viewer, and I must be too new at this, because mine looked like better hearts pattern, but slightly less quality arrows (I know what someone is thinking right now, that its not actually a hearts and arrows diamond because it has to be exact), but for a cut of 1, with such a small crown angle, it really looks good.

Thanks for everything Rich, this site is lucky to have people like you to help us newbies..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results