shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Liposuction

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 5:13:21 PM
Author: DiaGem
Garry..., how would you create/re-cut a steeper crown and pavilion with out compressing/re-blocking the diameter if (in case) the original girdle was a thin one?
Hi DiaGem!

The diamond was more shallow/shallow than steep/deep.
(34 crown 40.4 pavilion and 59 table)

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
DiaGem,

It''s also true that Asian people will prefer a smaller VVS diamond than a big SI.
(Most of my friends here in Belgium are Vietnamese.)
But sadly enough, the most Vietnamese I know here buy D-VVS with ugly proportions, and laugh at me with my "tainted" diamonds.
5.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2008 5:21:16 PM
Author: QueenMum

Date: 8/18/2008 5:13:21 PM
Garry..., how would you create/re-cut a steeper crown and pavilion with out compressing/re-blocking the diameter if (in case) the original girdle was a thin one?
Hi DiaGem!

The diamond was more shallow/shallow than steep/deep.
(34 crown 40.4 pavilion and 59 table)
I guess I didnt write my question to Garry clear enough...

I understand it was shallow/shallow.

The only way to steepen the main facets on the pavilion and crown is digging into the girdle..., if the girdle is too thin (and doesnt have enough material to dig in), you must re-block and re-facet the girdle to add thickness..., only then you are able to steepen the facet angle...

I hope I am clearer now QM...
1.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Yes you are clear now, and that''s exactly what I thought.
:)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thats the answer why you lost diameter size..., I assume;-)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
This kind of thing fascinates me! Can''t wait to see pictures of the real thing.

AndyMN

Rough_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your new Eightstar! A 2ct. Eightstar will be sure to knock your socks off!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Stephan,

I am so happy for you and the new stone looks like a 4-star KNOCK-OUT
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
but I do have one question, if you don''t mind.

Strictly financially speaking, I am curious if it cost more for the original diamond plus the recut than the finished Eight Star would have cost by itself, in the usual retail market?

I''m honestly just being a Nosey Rosie
2.gif
, so please don''t feel pressured to answer if you don''t want to!

Thanks!
Lynn

ETA: You KNOW that we will need LOTS OF PICTURES of that beauty, please!!!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an incredible re-cut, I''m really interested in seeing some more pictures!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2008 5:17:34 PM

Author: denverappraiser

Both J and K are a tough color to sell in the secondary market especially when paired with high clarity

Neil Beaty

Date: 8/18/2008 5:31:26 PM
Its not my expertise but I hear these type of combo's are very sought after in the east (of the globe)..., especially VVS's.

I see these combo's sell at ridiculous prices in HK, etc...

I agree, but most consumer sellers in the 'west' would find it difficult to locate a customer in HK who is willing to pay them a ridiculous price and also have difficulties with the logistics of doing such a deal in a secure way for both parties. This is not the sort of thing that would be well suited to ebay for example. The result is a need for a chain of dealers, which can get both expensive and slow. It is possible, and it would definitely be a saleable stone, but it would not be easy for a typical consumer to realize top dollar.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just received the ring this morning.
I went to my office this afternoon, and I looked at my EightStar under a lot of different lighting conditions.
Wow.
That''s something special!
It makes me feel unique.

The stone looks much whiter than before.
Don''t laugh at me: even if I still can notice a slight tint, the diamond looks so icy, I really can''t explain.
Very very slightly tinted and incredibly icy.
I had some ideal cut diamonds before, they always looked white under soft lighting, but never icy, that''s different for me.
By icy, I mean something clear and limpid, without the parasitism of secondary reflections.
That''s the first thing I felt when I opened the box.
In fact, the whiteness of other ideal cut diamonds I owned could sometimes displease me, because of the lack of scintillation.

So after one day with my EightStar, I can say it''s my favorite one:
- iciest diamond I ever saw (not whitest but iciest)
- best contrast
- magic scintillation
- better balance between fire and light return (=> understand more fire)

Under strong lighting like halogen, I NEVER saw a diamond that spit such an amount of fire with such an incredible scintillation than my EightStar. I didn''t know it would do that, even if I red a lot of stuff before having my diamond re-cut.

It may sound silly, but if you like the luxurious and deep look of an emerald cut, you will love the look of an EightStar: its fire makes it look so big!

PS: Sorry, no pics today, probably this weekend in "show me the ring".

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I do have a picture token before the ring was sent back to me.
I''ll try to do better in a few days.
2.gif

bijoutierpicture.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephan, it is STUNNING.....Oh my stars!!!
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif
emstar.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!
This picture is far from the realty.
I promise you more!
2.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 3:55:25 PM
I''ve just received the ring this morning.

I went to my office this afternoon, and I looked at my EightStar under a lot of different lighting conditions.

Wow.

That''s something special!

It makes me feel unique.

The stone looks much whiter than before.

Don''t laugh at me: even if I still can notice a slight tint, the diamond looks so icy, I really can''t explain.

Very very slightly tinted and incredibly icy.

I had some ideal cut diamonds before, they always looked white under soft lighting, but never icy, that''s different for me.

By icy, I mean something clear and limpid, without the parasitism of secondary reflections.

That''s the first thing I felt when I opened the box.

In fact, the whiteness of other ideal cut diamonds I owned could sometimes displease me, because of the lack of scintillation.

So after one day with my EightStar, I can say it''s my favorite one:

- iciest diamond I ever saw (not whitest but iciest)

- best contrast

- magic scintillation

- better balance between fire and light return (=> understand more fire)

Under strong lighting like halogen, I NEVER saw a diamond that spit such an amount of fire with such an incredible scintillation than my EightStar. I didn''t know it would do that, even if I red a lot of stuff before having my diamond re-cut.

It may sound silly, but if you like the luxurious and deep look of an emerald cut, you will love the look of an EightStar: its fire makes it look so big!

PS: Sorry, no pics today, probably this weekend in ''show me the ring''.

Thank you so much for this review. It''s very interesting and increase my desire for an 8* a hundredfold! I heart fire!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
How does it compare to an Infinity cut? Do any difference in the cut stand out or just more of what you wrote above?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 5:08:52 PM
Author: angeline
How does it compare to an Infinity cut? Do any difference in the cut stand out or just more of what you wrote above?
I''ve had 3 Infinity diamonds, and they look similar to the ACA''s Classic Line I saw in Houston =""> very nice.
When I was in Houston the first time, I have to notice that of the 5 diamonds Brian showed me, I choosed the 2 "New Line" and ended up with the one that looked eye clean to me.
But some people just can''t see any difference.

To my eye, the "New Line" of Whiteflash is something between the EightStar and the Infinity.
I think Brian prefers the Classic Line, I prefer the New Line (alas they don''t cut them anymore).
You really should visit a retailer to compare Infinity/ACA Classic and EightStar, pictures don''t show the differences.
I think the EightStar has more on/off scintillation, more visible fire and is more crisp/clear, and I love it''s contrast.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful Stephan! Enjoy wearing it!!!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 5:29:40 PM
Date: 8/19/2008 5:08:52 PM

Author: angeline

I''ve had 3 Infinity diamonds, and they look similar to the ACA''s Classic Line I saw in Houston =""> very nice.

When I was in Houston the first time, I have to notice that of the 5 diamonds Brian showed me, I choosed the 2 ''New Line'' and ended up with the one that looked eye clean to me.

But some people just can''t see any difference.

To my eye, the ''New Line'' of Whiteflash is something between the EightStar and the Infinity.

I think Brian prefers the Classic Line, I prefer the New Line (alas they don''t cut them anymore).

You really should visit a retailer to compare Infinity/ACA Classic and EightStar, pictures don''t show the differences.

I think the EightStar has more on/off scintillation, more visible fire and is more crisp/clear, and I love it''s contrast.

Thanks. I wish I could get to a retailer and see all three side by side. I was once considering a recut by either 8* or Infinity so your information is very useful. I ended up getting a 3ct J ACA, but I still dream of a non-branded 4+ct K with SB that I saw and getting that recut by 8*. But $$$$$...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations Stephan,
The ring looks nice too!!!

BTW I can not get over how GIA ever gave your pre recut stone VG - they should definetly have dinged it for the pavilion painting!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, your teaser pic is incredible!! I can''t wait to see your other pics!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... that''s lovely!!!

I can''t wait to see more pictures and I''m so happy that you''re delighted with the results of the recut.

Maybe we can have before/after pics to look at!

x x x

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow that''s awesome I am looking forward to more pics!!!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 10:01:40 PM
Author: Lynn B
Strictly financially speaking, I am curious if it cost more for the original diamond plus the recut than the finished Eight Star would have cost by itself, in the usual retail market?
Hi Lynn!
I really don''t know the answer to this question.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
gosh, that diamond is positively stunning!! Thanks for sharing!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Stephan, it''s amazing! Very crisp.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results