carat
color
clarity

Diamond - keep or exchange?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi thank you so much for the kind words

That diamond is gorgeous, and I love that it is an F and 1.23carats..... I don't know anything about FIC diamonds.. .... I have read that 35.5 sometimes goes with 40.6 .....

I don't know how I'm going to decide lol
I just found this one, is it any good?

FIC stones are fiery and have higher crowns. I personally think that when well cut, they are stunning like this 1.23 F VS2.

The last one is also lovely, very balanced proportions and great specs.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
It took me a little longer to find something worthy and this is probably really pushing the budget. However, I figured I’d share it. Some will say that it is “outside of the recommended proportions” because it is a FIC stone, nonetheless I think that it will be absolutely stunning!

Here is the BN listing. And here is where you can see the diamond. Thoughts?

I really love this diamond. It is pushing it for price but it's gorgeous. What do others think of FIC stones?
@AV_ @tyty333 @OoohShiny @whitewave @whatamilookingat @KKJohnson @distracts @lydial

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
What's an FIC stone? I've not seen this term before, maybe I'm not paying attention?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's an FIC stone? I've not seen this term before, maybe I'm not paying attention?

It’s not really an industry term, it’s tied to the HCA tool and stands for Fiery Ideal Cut. FIC diamonds will typically have steeper crown. It is generally accepted that FIC stones will have reduced scintillation (white sparkle) and increased fire (colored flashes). I personally think that they can be stunning, but of course people have different preferences.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's an acronym within the HCA tool (itself an acronym :lol: lol)

TIC - Tolkowsky (spelling?) Ideal Cut
BIC - Brilliant Ideal Cut (so 60/60s and stones with more white light than coloured fire)
FIC - Fiery (Firey?) Ideal Cut (so more coloured fire than white light return)

EDIT: Beaten to it :D

AV_

Ideal_Rock
WOW!

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Darn.... I don't think the BN F 1.23 VS2 is the same as the diamond on the video. The GIA reports are different

Reactions: AV_

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I’m about to fall asleep so will check on this in the morning. Which diamond is the FIC?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn.... I don't think the BN F 1.23 VS2 is the same as the diamond on the video. The GIA reports are different

Oh nooo, you are right. I am sorry, I don’t know what I was looking at last night.:(sad

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I am sorry, that’s what happens when one is on their phone late at night!

Ok I do really like the 2 you are considering. I am going to throw in another one into the mix: 1.21 E VS2

This one is really nice! @Krista Williams this might have your name all over it!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this an FIC diamond? I live the colour, and the price but the table is a smidgen bigger then I've been looking at and what's with the extra facet?

This would be a TIC diamond, it has very nice and balanced proportions. Table of 58% is completely within the mid range 55-58. Extra facet is a man-made inclusion that is usually in place because the cutter has decided to remove a natural inclusion. For example, there could have been a natural or a crystal in its place instead. Anyway, at VS2, I personally am not concerned.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find a local qualified appraiser who can set your mind at ease about the clarity of your current diamond. The fact is that we cannot possibly assess the transparency of a diamond accurately on the internet. I suspect the diamond you have is just fine.

Consider wearing it for a week to make up your mind for sure. Since this is an upgrade, I would want the biggest stone I could get and 1.05 is a bigger leap than 0.91 from what you have.

EDIT: And I want to add -- please don't feel pressured to spend $2k more or to pay for VVS clarity to sooth your anxiety. Get the opinion of a local person who can assess the diamonds in person. It is the only way to know for sure what you have in-hand.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Ok!!! My husband is extremely tired of me constantly searching and talking about diamonds (AS AM I!!!!!!), so he had me bring up blue nile, and search up exactly what I think I want in the 1.00 carat range .... I searched F and G, VVS1, and VVS2 in 1.00 to 1.10 ... I purchased an SI1 the first time, and loved it... but then wanted better clarity this time... and after the VS2 that arrived last week, for being my forever diamond... and a technically a gift from my Mother who passed away in November... I think I want better then that for clarity...

Blue Nile SAYS they requested to find out if it was milky, hazy or oily at all due to the fluorescence, and they came back and said its not... I know it costs more then the H VS2 that I have right now, but I think this diamond checks the most boxes for me....

I would really appreciate your opinions on this diamond... I will also link the G VVS2 that I still have on hold..... I want to call this exchange in no later then tomorrow. Thank you everyone for ALLLLLLLL the thoughts, opinions, and advice you have given me.

@AV_ @tyty333 @OoohShiny @whitewave @whatamilookingat @KKJohnson @distracts @lydial @sledge

G VVS2

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if there is a >1.2 carat VS that fits the bill. I usually set searches between the least tollerable grades (H, VS2 as mentioned - not risky!), weight (1.2) & price (slightly above the budget - it is silly to miss a nice option just $10 higher - numbers are idiot like that) then let the search surprise me with possibilities for weight, grades, fluorescence & price & else.

The FIC stone may well have a clear pattern too, if they can send a picture. IHMO, worth prodding, if this is to be your one stone.

2c

[footnote] I am fond of the HCA, and if an 'Ex HCA' option comes in, I am happy, but I am noticing intriguing deeper cut stones with near 'trasitional' proportions [larger facets, which work for greater depth] dully discounted for the smaller spread (BN). The HCA does not take into account the length of upper & lower girdle facets that are modified (shortened) to make the higher depth work, I wish it did, since the numbers are right there on GIA reports. - this is just a rant, since I do not know if such an option might come up in your search, the stones are not common.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would really appreciate your opinions on this diamond... I will also link the G VVS2 that I still have on hold..... I want to call this exchange in no later then tomorrow. Thank you everyone for ALLLLLLLL the thoughts, opinions, and advice you have given me.

@AV_ @tyty333 @OoohShiny @whitewave @whatamilookingat @KKJohnson @distracts @lydial @sledge

G VVS2

Make a choice yet?

Of these two options, I prefer the 1.03. Honestly, what's not to love? G color is nice, and VVS2 is overkill on clarity, but it sounds like provides peace to your need for a mind clean stone.

More importantly, the proportions are dreamy:

57 table, 62 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF

Also an awesome 1.3 HCA score, which is to be expected given the proportions. A very worthwhile consideration that will have good fire and light return.

Capture103.PNG

The 1.06 is also a respectable stone, but honestly I'm not a fan of a shallow 34 crown paired with a shallow 40.6 pavilion. It does have a nice small 55 table. Overall it gets a 0.6 HCA score which is to be expected as shallow stones similar to this typically score less than 1.

Lastly, while I do like the bump to F color, I prefer none or faint fluor in higher colored stones. I'm not anti-fluor like some people. In fact I bought my wife a H VS2 w/ medium fluor. But jumping a single color grade and taking on medium fluor doesn't seem like something I'd want to pay a price premium to achieve.

Combine the fact I like the angles better on the 1.03 and the 1.06 just doesn't work for me.

Capture106.PNG

Just curious, but why did you eliminate this stone? Was the H color unbearable? No judgment, just asking. We all have different color preferences, and none are right/wrong.

While I do favor the 34.5/40.8 combo of the 1.03 over the 34.5/40.6 of the 1.20 stone, I prefer the smaller 55 table on the 1.20 stone vs the 57 table of the 1.03.

I also prefer the fatter arrows from the 75 LGF's of the 1.03 as opposed to the skinnier arrows of the 80 LGF's of the 1.20. However, for being a reported 80 value, I suspect the actual values are on the lower end of the spectrum (78-79) as there isn't a considerable difference.

So I do find the stones interesting, as one might yield a little more fire in different areas. Overall, I think they will be very close and you would just need to review with your own eyes to determine what you like best.

What I believe will be more than obvious is the jump in carat weight and spread. The 1.03 only has roughly a 6.45mm spread, whereas the 1.20 stone has closer to 6.80mm spread. Jumping from a 0.91 carat stone with approximately 6.20mm spread (assuming, haven't looked at your cert) the 1.20 stone will feel like a substantial upgrade, whereas the 1.03 will feel like a minimal upgrade.

Sure, the 1.20 stone is $600 more but that is a drop in the bucket for the size difference.

All elements considered I'd be leaning towards the 1.20 personally.

Capture120.PNG

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
@sledge thank you for that post! You have no idea how much I appreciate your information!!!

I removed the H 1.2 just from talking it out with the BN lady. She felt if I wasnt happy with the H, I currently have, why get an H again. .. but the colour wasn't the issue I don't think.....
Does the feather so close to the girdle worry you at all?

So either the G 1.03, or the H 1.20 is where I'm at right now..

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the 1.2 - to me that is where it is obviously “bigger than 1 carat” and if you think this will be your only upgrade, and fine with the H color, then I would go with that.

If it’s the H VVS2, no I would not be worried. I honestly think you need to stop looking at the inclusion plots because it is psyching you out.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thank you for that post! You have no idea how much I appreciate your information!!!

I removed the H 1.2 just from talking it out with the BN lady. She felt if I wasnt happy with the H, I currently have, why get an H again. .. but the colour wasn't the issue I don't think.....

Is the 1.21 E VS2 completely out? It’s whiter, larger and excellently cut stone, and cheaper compared to the other ones you are looking at.

Otherwise, from your two other options I prefer the 1.06 F VVS1, it’s whiter, well cut and it will be visibly larger than the G.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Is the 1.21 E VS2 completely out? It’s whiter, larger and excellently cut stone, and cheaper compared to the other ones you are looking at.

Otherwise, from your two other options I prefer the 1.06 F VVS1, it’s whiter, well cut and it will be visibly larger than the G.

I am slightly scared of the inclusions in this one... otherwise it is absolutely gorgeous....
Picking a diamond is harder then buying a house, or picking a baby name!!!!! LOL

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am slightly scared of the inclusions in this one... otherwise it is absolutely gorgeous....
Picking a diamond is harder then buying a house, or picking a baby name!!!!! LOL

Have you seen many diamonds in person? I ask because I can barely see the inclusions in the video, which is at least 20 times larger than life, and I sincerely doubt you’d be able to see any in person.

OTOH if you are this freaked out about inclusions, maybe you should only be looking at IF stones? You’ll pay a lot more for them, and they still have inclusions, just not ones visible at 10x, but maybe that would provide you peace of mind.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen many diamonds in person? I ask because I can barely see the inclusions in the video, which is at least 20 times larger than life, and I sincerely doubt you’d be able to see any in person.

OTOH if you are this freaked out about inclusions, maybe you should only be looking at IF stones? You’ll pay a lot more for them, and they still have inclusions, just not ones visible at 10x, but maybe that would provide you peace of mind.

I have only ever seen my original engagement ring that is full of black specks (I3), and the diamonds sold at these chain jewellery stores (all I1, I2 and I3s). I couldn't see the twining wisps in my 0.76 G SI1 but I can see something in the side of the H VS2 that I want to now replace. I'm sure even VS1 is enough for me.

I haven't decided for sure yet, but I have it down to the 2, and I'm going to look at the E VS2 again

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Randomly I just got word back that the 1.2 H VVS2 is unavailable.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're very welcome. Glad my comments was able to help you.

Quite honestly, with VVS2 clarity I'm not overly worried about anything. What this really means is that under 10x magnification you are going to struggle to find the inclusions in the stone. With the naked eye, you will never see anything nor have any structural issues.

If I were in your shoes, I would want to pinpoint what is about your current stone that you don't like. And it could be multiple things. But I feel it's critical to understand that so you don't repeat the same mistake with this particular upgrade.

Based on some of your responses after this one, I see you started with an I3 that had black specks and then upgraded to the H VS2 where you see something in the body. To me it seems you are worried about clarity, and want a 100% eye clean stone. Thus far you haven't gotten that, so maybe you are sweet on VS1+ clarity in hopes to fix that problem, at least subconsciously.

I'd just remind you that clarity grades obviously do matter, but it's also the type, size, color and location of the inclusions that matter even moreso. Effectively, you could have two VS2's side by side and possibly see inclusions in one of them but nothing in the other because of the type, size, color and location.

The other thing I would question is if your VS2 has inclusions you see, or somehow you are getting obstruction or a weird reflection that makes it appear as an inclusion. Have you actually compared the spot you see in the diamond against the clarity plot? Is something supposed to be there?

While not every VS2 is a winner, a good chunk are, so I feel they offer a good bang for the buck and wouldn't dismiss prematurely.

I missed this one earlier, sorry.

58 table, 61.2 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF's

I'm not sure I love 80 LGF's with a larger 58 table, but eh, we're probably splitting hairs.

What is significantly different is the size, color and price difference. This stone offers really good value IMO.

Point blank the strong fluor in an E stone concerns me. The video does't look cloudy/hazy/oily but you should ask BN if there are any negative effects. Also, when you get the stone in-person to examine, I'd encourage you to examine in a variety of lighting conditions including indoors, outdoors in direct sunlight, outdoors in indirect sunlight, etc.

I am curious how the inclusions plays into the fluor effect. In another thread, we have been discussing how this can have an effect. Nothing to report or know for sure. Just the stone needs vetted carefully is all.

Assuming it checks out, then thank @SimoneDi for finding you a rare unicorn. If it doesn't check out you can always send back and start over. Nothing really lost doing that. Again, the value here is 1.21 carats + E color + $7,400 CAD.

It's worth a gamble IMO.

FYI, here is an interesting thread that cropped up earlier concerning high color and very strong fluor.

Capture121evs2.PNG

Randomly I just got word back that the 1.2 H VVS2 is unavailable.

I'd be even more tempted to try that 1.21 E VS2 now. If it doesn't work, you can send back and find another 1 carat with good proportions and your price range easier than a 1.21 E for that price.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
@sledge thank you for your post. I love how much information you give.

So....
After my I3 engagement ring from a chain store, I got a G SI1 0.76 from BN (11 years after getting married). I loved loved loved this stone, but I bothered me that I could never get a picture of the arrows and more recently I realized how grainy it looked when I looked closely. .

Here's a pic from my bathroom, of my original 3 stone I3 engagement ring and my .76 G SI1
Screenshot_20200105-155343_Gallery.jpg

Here's a picture from a chain jewelry store with my .76 and their 1.5 carat .... Do you see how nasty and grainy that is?
Screenshot_20200105-155412_Gallery.jpg

So I exchanged the G SI1 for the H VS2. But I'm still seeing the grainy texture..... Is this what a diamond looks like, or is that the clarity? I love how the H VS2 sparkles, I don't think the H colour is a problem.... I just don't want the grainy texture. I want a crystal clear diamond.... And I want to take a picture showing the gorgeous arrows..... I don't have a good picture of the H VS2 and the grainy texture but this shows a bit..... Screenshot_20200105-162606_Gallery.jpg

I think I was just disappointed with the H VS2 because it wasn't crystal clear........ But again, the sparkle and fire was amazing.......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results