shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Jewelry Price Help (what do I offer?????)

taghans

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone:
It has been about 4 years since I have been here (everyone helped me and put me in touch w/ James Allen to buy the engagement ring of her dreams). Ok, well I am back with a few more questions. A friend of a friend recentley lost his mother and has told me that the estate is looking to sell some of her jewelry. I am interested in 2 items (ring, and earrings) for my wife/as an investment. I have GIA info for both and would appreciate any and all info to these questions:

#1 What is the market value of each item?

#2 What is the wholesale value of each item?

#3 What would be a reccomended price to offer to buy these. I really dont need these (wife does not need them LOL) but If I can get an amazing deal I would be a buyer?

#4 Do the GIA stats look like something of interest to the market now or in the future or should I stay away. The earrings would be something she would keep now and forever (DeBeers LOL), the ring is a bit much but may make for an investment for our son in the long haul?

Ring (This is only the center stone not the small trapz side stones):

Round Brilliant
14.1-14.3-8.14mm
CT Weight: 9.87
Color: S to T
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Good
Total Depth: 57.3%
Table Size: 65%
Crown Angle: 33
Crown Height: 11.5%
Pavillion Angle: 41
Pavillion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly Thick (2.5%)
Cutlet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair
Fluorescence: Faint

Sides:
Each Approx: 6.0mm x 5.5mm x 2.00m
CT Weight .51
Clarity: VS-1
Color: I-J

Setting is Platinum approx 12 grams

Earrings:
Diamond Stud 14k White Gold:
7.4mmx4.4mm Approx each
1.5 ct (each)
Clarity: SI-1
Color: J

Again any and all comments are MUCH appreciated :wavey:

ring.jpg

ring 2.jpg

ring 3.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I, and most professional appraisers do this sort of work regularly. There’s no way of giving you a straight answer without seeing the pieces but there’s a list of appraisers at the top of the page under resources who should be able to help you out.

#1 What is the market value of each item?
Make sure your appraiser understands the question. In particular, make sure you’ve defined ‘market value’. I'm going to guess it means how much they can reasonably be expect to sell for in their present condition by the current owner and in a market that he/she has reasonable access to including any necessary fees and commissions. She's looking for marketing advice, which is a pretty common request but it's not the same as insurance appraisal work and it's a pool of sharks out there.

#2 What is the wholesale value of each item?
Who cares? More importantly, what is ‘wholesale’? If we’re talking about the price that a store will give you for it, that’s market value (for that market). If we’re talking about what a store would be paying their regular suppliers to consign a new one if a customer requests it, it doesn’t matter and just muddies up the thought process.

#3 What would be a reccomended price to offer to buy these. I really dont need these (wife does not need them LOL) but If I can get an amazing deal I would be a buyer?
Less than market value if you can get it. :bigsmile: Then again, that may not be the best way to keep friends. :(sad

#4 Do the GIA stats look like something of interest to the market now or in the future or should I stay away. The earrings would be something she would keep now and forever (DeBeers LOL), the ring is a bit much but may make for an investment for our son in the long haul?
At the right price, EVERYTHING will be of interest and ANY 10 carater is going to get some interest but, again, who is ‘the market’ that you’re talking about? Go back to #1. Your friend needs more information and some professional advice on how to proceed.

Predicting the future is difficult but, as a rule, buy what you love and avoid what you don’t. Don’t go into this expecting to ever see your money again. We’re talking big money here and, in my opinion, the owner would be nuts to get into this without professional assistance. ‘Free’ advice routinely is worth less than it costs, often a LOT less.

taghans

Rough_Rock
Neil:
Much appreciated, however anyway you can throw out a $ at which you would consider me stupid to not buy it at? I mean I assume fair market value is $60,000 and I would not be a buyer for anything over $50K

Thanks,
Steve :confused:

taghans

Rough_Rock
Oh and remember this is a friend of a friend (whom I have only met in passing) so i am not concerned about giving him a low ball offer. I am concerned about not getting a raw deal for myself

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
taghans|1316207724|3019079 said:
Neil:
Much appreciated, however anyway you can throw out a $ at which you would consider me stupid to not buy it at? I mean I assume fair market value is $60,000 and I would not be a buyer for anything over $50K

Thanks,
Steve,
You're dropping another magic term. What do you mean by 'fair market value' and how did you decide on that price?

**edited by moderator. please consider this your warning regarding following our policies**

I think the OWNER is being stupid if she sells without knowing more. Whether or not he/she shares this knowledge with you would be their business and maybe they already know but they needs to get in the game or they're going to get skinned. Given that, you can bid whatever you want and they will be empowered to accept or decline knowing the whole facts. By the way, they SHOULD be receiving this advice from whoever it is that's administering this estate, not a husband of an acquaintance who read about it on an Internet forum. Again, free advice is is not without cost.

taghans

Rough_Rock
They informed me it was worth $60-70K FMV (which I assume means price paid by consumer to private seller vs. blue nile.com for example) and said that was through a jeweler they took it to and the GIA info. I am certain they are confident in the evaluation and are not looking for any other expert opinions (unfortunatley).

I do appreciate the candid response and if i can get them to have it evaluated ill contact you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
taghans|1316208554|3019094 said:
They informed me it was worth $60-70K FMV (which I assume means price paid by consumer to private seller vs. blue nile.com for example) and said that was through a jeweler they took it to and the GIA info. I am certain they are confident in the evaluation and are not looking for any other expert opinions (unfortunatley).

I do appreciate the candid response and if i can get them to have it evaluated ill contact you.
I wish them the best of luck with it.

That jeweler is who is acting as an appraiser here and presumably they were chosen for some reason, hopefully a good one. They’ve seen the stone, they’ve researched the market or markets that are being considered, and they’ve discussed with the client the various marketing options available. The advice they received was confidential between them and their appraiser and I can only assume that they've done their due diligence and that they know what they're doing.

FWIW, that’s a decidedly unusual definition of FMV but, given that, I would suggest you NOT buy it unless you can pay significantly under what YOU decide is FMV. I would not take their word for it nor would I take the word of THEIR chosen expert unless you've careffully vetted them. It’s likely you’ll find it difficult to find direct comps for that center stone given the specs you provided but the earrings are pretty mainstream items and if you’re willing to stipulate to the grading and the like it shouldn’t be that hard to find someone with an offer for something like that.

Incidentally, if this advances forward, I would recommend that YOU consider hiring your own appraiser too. Your situation is a bit like receiving legal advice from opposing council. They’re forbidden to actually like to you but somehow it rarely works out right anyway. Having someone on your side of the table who both knows what they're doing and who has actually seen the goods will almost certainly benefit you.

Incidentaly #2, that diamond is pretty far outside the mainstream. Are you considering buying it because it's what you really want or because you see it as an opportunity for a 'deal'?

taghans

Rough_Rock
I am looking at it strictly as I believe it may be had for a deal which in the case of $30k I believe it would ne a deal. However, not knowing much I may stay away and avoid potentially costly mistake.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need an independent appraisal (like Neil said). You are talking about a lot of money and you dont want to make
a mistake. You need to be armed with as much info as possible.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you reverse the table and depth? Cause that's a HUGE table coupled with a shallow depth. If you didn't get the stats confused I think you need to be aware that this is a poorly cut stone and personally with all that weight running about I'd take that puppy in for a recut ASAP if I did buy it. Polish is good. Symmetry is fair.

To be frank, from a cut quality perspective that diamond is a HOT MESS. A BIG ugly yellow HOT MESS.

Which makes me wonder about the earrings. They are likely going to be bad cuts as well.

What does that mean? Weight loss in recutting is going to be a consideration. And the value of the diamonds will be MUCH less than their better cut counterparts. So... they may not be a good deal AT ALL.

I'd hire Niel before buying ANYTHING of this value.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I agree with gypsy...I would /only/ buy this stone if I planned to get it recut...otherwise you have a very large, very tinted, very poorly cut diamond.

I would not approach this as an investment because diamonds are not a good investment. If you want the pieces then buy them, if you don't then don't.

side note...do you think this could become a 6 carat AVC???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this case I would not hire Neil because he broke PS rule 2B for trade members when he posted, "I'll be happy to do an appraisal on this piece if you (and the owner) would like. Feel free to contact me if you would like to make a deal."

Blatant selling of goods or services is abuse of PS and will turn this place into a swap meet.

How ironic that Neil is quoted in PS Policies for Trade Members :roll: :

ozozozoz.png

taghans

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the info and will stay away, I thought I could make money on it the old quick buck. I am no expert but was nervous as I never thought a stone that big would that color. Table size 65%, total depth 57.3%, crown angle 33, crown height 11.5%, pavilion angle 41, pavilion depth 43.5%, star length 55%, lower half 80%,

Also, I only wanted advice not to get anyone in trouble so my apology to Neil.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1316208136|3019086 said:
**edited by moderator. please consider this your warning regarding following our policies**
Warning noted. I'll try to stay out of discussions like this.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil:

Thanks,
Kenny,

You'll notice in the portion that you didn't bother to quote that he ASKED me specifically to provide a valuation (ie an appraisal). I suppose you (and apparently the mods) count it as blatant advertising to respond to that in the only accurate way... that this would be a professional service requiring both an inspection and a fee and that I do offer this service. I must say, I disagree with you but, no matter, it's their site and it's their call.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser|1316305755|3019784 said:
Neil:

Thanks,
Kenny,

You'll notice in the portion that you didn't bother to quote that he ASKED me specifically to provide a valuation (ie an appraisal). I suppose you (and apparently the mods) count it as blatant advertising to respond to that in the only accurate way... that this would be a professional service requiring both an inspection and a fee and that I do offer this service. I must say, I disagree with you but, no matter, it's their site and it's their call.

I did not make up the rules you agreed to not break.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1316287861|3019598 said:
In this case I would not hire Neil because he broke PS rule 2B for trade members when he posted, "I'll be happy to do an appraisal on this piece if you (and the owner) would like. Feel free to contact me if you would like to make a deal."

Blatant selling of goods or services is abuse of PS and will turn this place into a swap meet.

How ironic that Neil is quoted in PS Policies for Trade Members :roll: :
Kenny, is this sort of really necessary when the mods are generally quick to respond to reported posts/rule violations?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1316306199|3019788 said:
I did not make up the rules you agreed to not break.
Kenny,

Your right, you didn't. Check out 2 e), just below the part you chose to quote from the rules.

2 e. Do not mention your products or services unless requested in the thread by a consumer.

Again, the mods apparently agree with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results