shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond jackets safe?

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Hello Pearl lovers. I am on the fence about a pair of diamond earring jackets. Would they be safe to wear with Pearl studs? I have a nice pair from Mikimoto I think they’re 8mm. Would the jackets scratch them? ED21D93D-3744-4A20-AD9C-696A6C634911.jpeg I don’t have them with me atm but I’m wondering what the experts think.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of earring jackets made from modifying the mould of a double-strand pearl clasp by KGH on the right for 8mm pearl studs, and my studs were from PP, a pair of Freshadamas and a pair of baby Tahitians. The pearl sits snuggly in the recess in the centre. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the jacket with a pearl in it.

I also have a pair of diamond earring jackets that I wear with 6mm studs, including pearl ones.

The baby Tahitian studs from PP would be the most expensive pair, and I would imagine they are nowhere as expensive as Miki ones.

Therefore, IMHO, I would not risk wearing expensive pearl studs in earring jackets, UNLESS the jackets are designed so that there is an air gap/line between the pearl and the jacket to minimise the risk of abrasion.

DK :))

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
@dk168 your jackets are so gorgeous! When I get back home I will see how the jackets fit around the pearls. I think you’re right, it may not be a good idea with the Mikis but I have some old department store studs that might work!

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
@AuntKiki my gut says this would be a no-go for nice pearls with a normal backing. Maybe you could look at replacing the finding with a more substantial cup that protects your fragile pearl from metal contact?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results